Theft-of-Whole-Trailer Prevention ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Question Theft-of-Whole-Trailer Prevention ?

Hello, all!

I'd appreciate input from the group on what if any measures folks take to secure their trailers when parked, whether at home or (especially) while camping.
I mostly camp in undeveloped areas, and sometimes leave the trailer unattended; my husband thinks I'm a bit paranoid on the subject of potential thievery, especially since the trailer's insured.
Like THAT would replace-in-kind a trailer made 40 years ago!

What think you all?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Anti theft devices only slow the thief down. If they really want it, they can get it, no matter what you do.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I have a thing that fits in place of the ball, with a U shaped bar that goes overtop the coupler and snaps down into the lower piece, and it takes a key to remove it. Or a hacksaw, or a torch...

If paranoid, one probably could get a nice long 4000-lb.-test chain and wrap it through both wheels and around the axle and bumper, then to a nearby tree, with the toughest padlock one can find. Nothing like a hundred pounds of thick chain to deter theft.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
We always lock the door when we're away from the campground for any length of time. When the trailer is parked off season I lock the hitch with a cheap padlock so it can't be hitched up too easy and without noise.

All types of trailer theft is still active in the lower mainland of BC as described below.

March 31, 2011
Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General

Bait fleet expands to bust trailer thieves

VANCOUVER – Trailer thieves in B.C. might want to hit the trail now that they are being targeted by police. The Bait Trailer was unveiled today by Solicitor General Shirley Bond to kick off Auto Crime Enforcement Month.

“This is the latest weapon in the highly successful Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) arsenal, which puts thieves behind bars on a regular basis,” said Bond. “In fact, the province has seen an unprecedented seven-consecutive-year drop in car thefts since 2003. This is a 65 per cent decrease from 26,000 incidents in 2003 to 9,000 in 2010.“

Last year auto theft in the province was down 22 per cent compared to 2009, and thefts from inside vehicles were down 15 per cent compared to the year before – a 61 per cent drop since 2003. Despite the decrease over seven years, trailer theft has remained constant, with about 500 trailers stolen every year in B.C. The new bait trailers can range from recreational and camping-type trailers, to mobile cargo and utility units.

If you are purchasing what appears to be a manufactured trailer, it is required to have a VIN (vehicle identification number),” said IMPACT’s Sergeant Gord Elias. “We want you to check the VIN on the trailer to ensure that it matches the VIN on the registration. If you suspect the trailer is stolen, do not confront the seller, but instead contact the police.”

Police attribute the successive reductions in auto theft to the work of IMPACT and the bait car project that was launched in 2002 in the Lower Mainland. Bait cars and other bait vehicles including motorcycles, ATV’s, boats, snowmobiles and now trailers are waiting to be stolen in nearly all corners of the province.

Bond and members of Lower Mainland police forces also announced the top ten most wanted vehicle thieves, and released video of the first bait-trailer theft and arrest which was captured on video by Air 1 and the bait-truck that was attached to the trailer.

For more information on the Bait Car program and to view a video of the first bait trailer apprehension, visit: www.baitcar.com

Public Affairs
Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
250 356-6961

Connect with the Province of B.C. at: www.gov.bc.ca/connect
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hello, all!

I'd appreciate input from the group on what if any measures folks take to secure their trailers when parked, whether at home or (especially) while camping.
I mostly camp in undeveloped areas, and sometimes leave the trailer unattended; my husband thinks I'm a bit paranoid on the subject of potential thievery, especially since the trailer's insured.
Like THAT would replace-in-kind a trailer made 40 years ago!

What think you all?

Thanks!

Francesca
If you have electric brakes with a breakaway switch, and on board battery, you can remove the breakaway pin to activate the brakes. If they're savvy they can figure that out but probably not before making a lot of noise and drawing attention. As noted about... if a thief wants it, like anything else, it will be gone.
I just try to make my trailer obviously more difficult to take than another.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If they want it they'll get it no matter what you do.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
While it's true if a thief really wants YOUR trailer he/she will take it, making it take more time and/or require more noise does help. Things that are easy to take sprout feet faster as a lot of thievery is a result of opportunity. Removing the breakaway pin is a great idea as most thieves are not all that bright (the majority of prisoners are functionally illiterate). You can also post Security System stickers in your windows (with pictures, not just words). The postings usually do more than the system itself, and if there really is no system who would know? If you do get a security system, you might get a discount from insurance company that matches the cost making it a net outlay of zero. I have a padlock on the coupler (even when locked in shed) and a deadbolt on the camper door in addition to lockable handle (thank you PO!). Outdoor items are locked inside. In camprgounds, as at home, it's good to get to know your neighbors a bit (we just wave, say hello and be good neighbors)-- if they see someone other than you messing with your camper they're more likely to take some sort of action. Go ahead and be "paranoid", the little effort now could save a lot of hassle (and money) later.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Registry
My Son the Comedian suggested that I simply take along a gallon jar of my favorite condiment: KIMCHI
He says the smell alone will quickly deter any would-be thieves, if not kill them outright.

I'm grateful, as I'm sure my potential camping neighbors will be, for all of your less-lethal suggestions...

Francesca
Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
my brother thinks the boler is a anti theft deterrent all on it's own. It is that reason alone that I was given the boler and not him.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
While this idea is an "after the fact" one, a name or number(s) on the roof, visible only from above, might prove useful in the recovery.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #11

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedup View Post
my brother thinks the boler is a anti theft deterrent all on it's own. It is that reason alone that I was given the boler and not him.
What?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
What?
... Ah thank them's fightin' words, pardner...
Old 04-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
If you have electric brakes with a breakaway switch, and on board battery, you can remove the breakaway pin to activate the brakes. If they're savvy they can figure that out but probably not before making a lot of noise and drawing attention. As noted about... if a thief wants it, like anything else, it will be gone.
I just try to make my trailer obviously more difficult to take than another.
Barrie
Would that wear the battery down since the brakes would be energized continuously?
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Would that wear the battery down since the brakes would be energized continuously?
If you planned this for anti theft purposes you could put a solar panel in the window to charge the battery. It would depend on how long your leaving it unattended.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
The idea is to make stealing just hard enough so that would be thieves would go onto the next trailer.

I think that a really good lock for your tongue hitch would help a lot. Gorilla locks have a great reputation.

I also think that an older trailer would be overlooked by thieves.

To tell you the truth my concern is someone breaking into the trailer and stealing audio, TVs, cameras and other valuables. So, I really don't plan to have the most up-to-date entertainment system.

Not much else other than a motion alarm system.

Please update with any findings your research unearths.

Good luck!

JMP
Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #16

Registry
Anybody ever try one of these?
It looks pretty simple and not too bulky to stow...
EDIT UPDATE... 5 minutes after I posted this...
I went outside and looked at my trailer... this lock would be pretty simple, all right ... IF I HAD CUTOUTS IN MY WHEELS...

Francesca

Click image for larger version

Name:	51AeVGjjjpL._SS400_.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	35298
Amazon.com: Brinks 3020-057-2 Trailer Wheel Lock, J-Lock Style: Automotive
Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Master Lock makes a cable with the lock built in at the end and you can slide it in the lock and cinch the lock as tight as you want then lock it...... I put this thru the spoke of the wheel and then around a frame section and pull tight and lock it...... not perfect but it will slow em down as cable is tougher to break than chain as that cable is pretty thick...
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
The original owner of our trailer modified the tongue so that we can remove the coupler by pulling a pin. The coupler can then be locked up.
Attached Thumbnails
coupler.jpg  
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #19

Indiana
Quote:
Anybody ever try one of these?
It looks pretty simple and not too bulky to stow...
EDIT UPDATE... 5 minutes after I posted this...
I went outside and looked at my trailer... this lock would be pretty simple, all right ... IF I HAD CUTOUTS IN MY WHEELS...

Francesca

Attachment 35298
Amazon.com: Brinks 3020-057-2 Trailer Wheel Lock, J-Lock Style: Automotive
Exactly, you have to have some kind of cutout even to just use a chain. I too have solid wheels.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
My Son the Comedian suggested that I simply take along a gallon jar of my favorite condiment: KIMCHI
He says the smell alone will quickly deter any would-be thieves, if not kill them outright.

I'm grateful, as I'm sure my potential camping neighbors will be, for all of your less-lethal suggestions...

Francesca
The Kimchi may also reduce the number of people requesting tours of your trailer, which may be good or bad depending...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
locks, security, trailer theft