Theft-of-Whole-Trailer Prevention ? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think that Lizbeth bought a Boler that was stolen.
??????????????????
How did THAT happen???
I'm more curious than ever ...
What was the outcome?
Did the seller get arrested?
Did Lizbeth have to return the trailer?
Did she lose her money?
Did the "stolen" part turn up in the title search???

If this isn't a cautionary tale for the ages, what is?

Lizbeth!
Enlighten us!
Please!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #42

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Before the hack here there was a long thread about saga but it was in the section that disappeared forever. I have saved a thread about it from another board and I will copy it here as I am too lazy right now to type the whole thing out, it's also the board where I met Frederick.

From 2004;
"From: MSN Nicknameflygirl4x4 (Original Message) Sent: 3/21/2004 3:10 PM
I have a new project trailer but have hit a major snag with registering it. Here is the story, it falls under a "buy it now and ask question later" saga.

I've been researching and wanting a small fiberglass "egg" for year or so. Due to money issues I knew it would probably not happen soon. Plus living in So Cal these trailers are few and far between, making the chance of finding a cheap fixer upper very remote.

So I've joined some fiberglass rv boards, lurking and occasionally posting questions in hope of learning all that I can about them. I tend to research thing that catch my interest to death. In a post on one of the boards a man ( Bob) mentioned finding a very beat up Boler but passing it up because he feared registering it would be a nightmare (smart man) and plus he had already purchased another trailer. I knew Bob lived in So Cal so I contacted Bob to find out some info on the trailer. He had a phone # that turned out to be a motel and he didn't have a exact address but remembered how to get to the house where the trailer was located.

So off my husband and I went to see if we could find the trailer. The young couple that owned it were staying at this house (in a very bad area) with some friends before they moved to Ohio. I only talked to the young woman and her story was that the Boler had been given to her boyfriend as debt repayment from a friend of theirs a couple of years ago and that that friend had inherited it from his grandmother. The title had been lost but she had a bill of sale from their friend but had never registered it or changed the title to their name. I was not too alarmed as we have bought trailers and cars that had lost titles before.

The poor little Boler was in very bad shape. All the windows but the front are broken (the little kids that lived at the house had thrown rocks at it), it has spray paint on it, no cushions, fridge is broken, all the lights in and out need replacing, water tank is broken, wiring is a mess, no propane tanks, and it's dirty and smelly. Just what I could afford hehe. So we came to an agreement about a price. She wrote us a "bill of sale", was very nice about helping us get it out of the back yard and hooking it up. Then we drug it home.

I went to register it and it was still on the DMV rolls tho it should have rolled off a few years ago (my bad luck). It's registered to an INSURANCE COMPANY! ack!
So I sent off a registered letter with hope beyond hope that it would get returned unopened. Nope...the company called me and wondered what the heck was up and I explained the situation to them. She told me that it might be a stolen trailer that was never recovered, and that it would take them 24-48 hrs to research it...that was 12 days ago today. I called last Wednesday and they had no info yet and "that they would call me when they found something".

So I have a trailer that may not ever belong to me sitting in my driveway. I can not contact the people that I bought it from because they have left for Ohio (plus I believe she was telling me the truth as she knew it). In retrospect I should have made her go the the DMV with me to check the title. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides the possibility of loosing money that I can ill afford to loose I've fallen in love with it and so badly want to start working on it."

The rest of the story;
It took the ins. co. many months to determine that they no longer had the paperwork on the theft that appeared to have happened 10 years before. They sent an adjuster to see the trailer. He determined it had no value and it would cost more for the ins co to deal with than it was worth. At that point the ins co signed it over to me and the rest is history. So in the end my Boler has a great story.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #43

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
..............If this isn't a cautionary tale for the ages, what is?

Francesca
Lizbeth,

WHEW!

Ten years later, and still in the system......

That story belongs at the Top of the For Sale Forum with a pushpin in it

Glad it turned out all right for you!

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I wonder just how many trailers are stolen each year?
How many from homes?
How many from campgrounds?
Update to this question and this thread:

I did a Google search (keyword:"stolen") of the FGRV site and posted some of the results to another thread discussing the possibility of an "Amber Alert" type trailer recovery system based on US- the members of the forum.

New thread can be found at
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post246774

Francesca
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The question is: how many 20 year old Fiberglass trailers are stolen each year?
Does it really matter if it's 1 or 1,000? If YOU are the 1.... it would be one too many To me, this is a case of statistics being meaningless. I HOPE to never be the ONE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Does it really matter if it's 1 or 1,000? If YOU are the 1.... it would be one too many To me, this is a case of statistics being meaningless. I HOPE to never be the ONE.
Boy howdy, you said a mouthful that time, all right.
I spent the afternoon amusing myself by designing the scariest possible sticker for my trailer, though.
Hope tempered by a bit of prevention never hurts, as my G-ma was fond of saying...

Francesca
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #47

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You used to be able to buy a fake alarm at auto parts stores, it came with a fake key hole and a fake sticker, it was kinda cool until everybody had the same fake alarm.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
You used to be able to buy a fake alarm at auto parts stores, it came with a fake key hole and a fake sticker, it was kinda cool until everybody had the same fake alarm.
That's just the trouble with the off-the-shelf "deterrence" stickers. Pretty soon everybody has one, and everybody knows they're fake.
The trick is to design a sticker that's REAL, or at least convinces the bad guys that it is.
Bad guys are born paranoid, and if you can play off that, you've got it made
I think my design is on that track...

Francesca
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hello, all!

I'd appreciate input from the group on what if any measures folks take to secure their trailers when parked, whether at home or (especially) while camping.
I mostly camp in undeveloped areas, and sometimes leave the trailer unattended; my husband thinks I'm a bit paranoid on the subject of potential thievery, especially since the trailer's insured.
Like THAT would replace-in-kind a trailer made 40 years ago!

What think you all?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca:

We are using this Coupler Lock:

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock: Automotive

We also use this Latch Lock:

Amazon.com: Master Lock 2847DAT Stainless Steel Adjustable Coupler Latch Lock: Automotive

These are relatively inexpensive and should discourage all but the most determined thief.

Brian
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #50

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Walk around your camper and think like a criminal. How could you steal it? Then minimize or eliminate those possibilities. In the event it is stolen, have serial number in additional hidden locations in/on trailer; photos and info in TV for police, write down any unique aspects of your camper that would identify it as well. Hey, why not add a few things that do this -- decals, paint, mods? Thieves are also less likely to take when so easily spotted. When I had some welding done on my cargo trailer I had my initials welded into the tongue. Even if the raised letters are ground off a "shadow" would remain.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
Walk around your camper and think like a criminal. How could you steal it? Then minimize or eliminate those possibilities. In the event it is stolen, have serial number in additional hidden locations in/on trailer; photos and info in TV for police, write down any unique aspects of your camper that would identify it as well. Hey, why not add a few things that do this -- decals, paint, mods? Thieves are also less likely to take when so easily spotted. When I had some welding done on my cargo trailer I had my initials welded into the tongue. Even if the raised letters are ground off a "shadow" would remain.
I'm gonna do ALL that!
Here's the 7x7 decal I just ordered:Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	35468My $10.00 make-em-think-twice-device
The colors are a lot brighter in the original......And every word is TRUE!

Francesca
Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #52

Indiana
Cool that's cheaper than two Rottweilers. lol
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #53

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

We use a locking hitch coupler as described by an earlier poster, that fits a ball up into the couple and a steel bar over it. We also have a trailer boot that locks one wheel. Both are painted bright yellow. I rarely use the trailer boot, but have used it occasionally.

That said, the yellow paint for easy identification is our main safety feature. If a person really wanted to steal the trailer, they could tow it by chains instead of the hitch coupler, and put wheels under it like tow trucks do, without a lot of trouble. Our deterrents are mainly to encourage casual thieves to spare us their attention.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #54

Indiana
All good ideas, unless your local thief owns a rollback.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
All good ideas, unless your local thief owns a rollback.
A what?
Isn't that something Wal-Mart does to its prices?

Francesca
Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #56

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have 2 of these:

Amazon.com: The Wheel Club Immobilizer: Automotive

They may not be much but someone would need to make some noise getting them off,I even make noise putting them on!

They also prevent the trailer from rolling like onto a rollback for relocation.

I also use the 2 coupler locks and I have a very thick long cable I loop around the axle on one end and an immovable object on the other if I can find one.

It would take a determined thief to get mine moving and though my neighbors may appreciate his sentiment they would intervene as I would for them.

Oh and Darnelle,you are welcome,I still have not put a deadbolt on the Casita.

These little Smiley things just crack me up too!!!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #57

Indiana
A rollback is a flatbed tow truck where the bed tilts and they roll or drag the car up on the bed and haul it away.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #58

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Here's another wheel immobilizer: The CLUB Tire Claw XL - Wheel Lock Winner International Locks WI491

I think between a good coupler lock, and this product, your trailer should be relatively safe. Most thieves would want to move on to an easier target.

My main concerns is someone breaking into the trailer and stealing valuables such as electronic, computer and audio equipment. I really don't travel with expensive equipment inside the trailer, but any theft would be an extremely disconcerting.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #59

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Here's another wheel immobilizer: The CLUB Tire Claw XL - Wheel Lock Winner International Locks WI491

I think between a good coupler lock, and this product, your trailer should be relatively safe. Most thieves would want to move on to an easier target.

My main concerns is someone breaking into the trailer and stealing valuables such as electronic, computer and audio equipment. I really don't travel with expensive equipment inside the trailer, but any theft would be an extremely disconcerting.
i like the concept as it looks rugged, fairly portable, and easily stored ... however, my main concern with this device is it still allows you access to the lug nuts. if you can get those off and slip on a spare/temp/donut to at least get down the road ...

thats why i think the boot (which covers all hardware) makes you at least need a flat bed tow-truck style rig. trade off is they are big and bulky, but that might also make it look like more trouble than its worth too.

this is a good thread - cuz i'm still not decided what i'll do and like seeing all of the options. but, i am leaning toward the boot (to augment my tongue-ball lock).
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #60

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Actually, I'm researching a decent, weather resistant coupler locking system.

As I said, I'm primarily interested in making things just hard enough to convince a potential thief to seek out another target. If anyone really wants to steal my trailer, it will be taken.

Someone mentioned Lojack and I think that is a great idea. You just have to think about how much money you want to budget for theft prevention, and the "hassle cost". I do have a concern regarding the number of keys I will have to have for all these devices. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on my knees (particularly on a rainy day), weaving chains through the tires and trying to lock/unlock a series of anti-theft equipment. And I have a limited amount of space and weight available for a boot device.

I agree that this is a great thread. It really got me thinking about what I need/want.

Tags
locks, security, trailer theft