Theft prevention - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
I like the cable through the wheels idea. I am going to steal this one. Thanks for sharing.
Use grade 70 or higher chain, very difficult to cut thru.

ken
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
1 7/8" hitch. Nobody else has one!
Thieves will just throw a chain over ur hitch ball, and trailer is gone.

use chains around both wheel and frame sets.

ken
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #23

We use one of those wheel locks, orange one, it also acts as a wheel chock.

We lived in a rural area in AZ, we had neighbors each having an acre of land. We had a 2,000 lb pop-up in our front yard, probably 120 feet from the street. It had a hitch lock in place, the best you could buy.

I had seen a flatbed truck in the area earlier in the week and thought it looked like they were just looking for an address since, you know, the country. On Sunday morning, we got up, went out and got in the car in the rear of our property and as we were pulling out, I said, "Where is the camper?" The camper was gone. There was a deep dig mark across the barren front of the property leading to the street and scrapes on the black top. I am guessing they drug it to the road and loaded it onto the flatbed. They were good enough that even our top-notch watch dog was not disturbed and she was sharp as a tack.

The insurance paid out. The camper was found later by the police when they went to serve a warrant on an individual that wasn't home. The two women at the home told police that the man had "borrowed" it and we probably just forgot we loaned it to him. The camper was impounded at the police lot as evidence and we never heard of it again. The insurance man did tell us that if it were located and returned that they would sell it back, at a very good price, to us if we wanted. It was the only new major purchase we had ever made and we bought the best Coleman with all the bells and whistles.

Do everything you can to slow them down. As you know, the smaller trailers are extremely popular and sell quickly.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In the states I have lived in you are required. to register and license your trailer and after they verify the VIN # ,they issue you a title ,the same procedure as a motor vehicle. I understand how with a vehicle you can chop it up fpr parts but is there that big of a market for stolen FG trailer parts. How does one obtain plates ,registration card and a title for a stolen trailer.? When we bought our used Scamp both the seller and I went to the DMV and he was made to produce a valid ID and the trailer title and I as the purchaser had to show proper ID to have rhe title transfered. Maybe I don't think like a thief but there does appear to be some safeguards in place.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree that I don't think there is much of a market for trailer parts, but any trailer plate can be installed on a stolen trailer and the chances are very slim they would be checked by a police officer, even if they did check the plate I don't think many can tell the difference between any trailer model or length. I have also heard that stolen trailers are used as hunting cabins and fishing shacks so they are pulled to a location off the grid, no need to title or register.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hitch Sizes for Security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
1 7/8" hitch. Nobody else has one!
Thieves will always have a 1 7/8" hitch ball.
I have a multi-size draw bar that has a 2 1/4" a 2" and a 1 7/8" ball on it that I bought for when I pick up new projects. All I have to do is turn it to the size I want. Was about $20 at Harbor Freight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #27

Insurance Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Probably a good idea to get a replacement quote from your insurance Co. every couple years as FG trailers don't depreciate nearly as fast as stickies. Don't know if you can an actual replacement cost policy on them but it would be a good idea if you don't want to self insure (eat) the difference.
Most insurance companies won't quote a replacement value on anything that's not commonly listed in something like the NADA Bluebook and, in the case of FGRV's, that's not a source you will ever want to use, as they are often in the 25% of typical sales value range.

I tell my insurance company how much I want my FGRV covered for in the even of theft or total loss, and they set the premium accordingly. Then.... if there is a claim, it is then up to moi to show current replacement value.

For taking that precaution, when my Corvette was stolen and totaled, I was able to get almost $2000 over high retail NADA value. Not as high as the maximum value I had set, but well over what they wanted to offer.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #28

It is also a good idea, just in case, to have a list of items that you keep in the camper which would be beyond the value of the trailer itself - contents. We were asked to list the items we had in the camper. When we had a parked car totaled by a teen driver out on her first "alone" trip, they asked for us to put down any newer items installed, work done recently, etc., and they added that on to the settlement.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #29

Good Points Cathy... It was partly because I had the dealer receipts for a new engine installation that the claim payout on my Corvette was as high as it was. Added to that were the receipts for new tires and a clutch... you get the picture.

Better than a written list are pictures. Take your digital camera and do a complete visual inventory of your rig, including updates and images of all of your pertinent receipts and store that in a file on a thumbdrive. When a FGRV is over 40 years old it can be very difficult to convince your Ins company of condition without pics.

My whole life Hx is stored on an external drive I can carry with me when travelling, something that came in handy in Italy when a bag was lost by the airline for a few days.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #30

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Because I park my Boler in a storage lots I add several layers of visual deterrents mostly to prevent the trailer itself from being stolen, items inside can be easily replaced. I use the usual hitch coupler locks, I welded loop anchors on the frame and place cable locks through those and through the wheels so it is very difficult to steal the wheels plus they won't turn. The one unique theft system I use is a GPS tracking device, if the trailer is moved I get instantly notified and the trailer sends a tracking beacon as to its location, a kind of LoJack.
The trailer is also appraised and insured for the appraised value
What specific GPS tracking device do you use?
Coolbean60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #31

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
theft prevension

Thanks Coolbean, Those are excellent suggestions.I've also heard that thieves also use the safety chains and hook those onto a TV without the ball connection .Therefore a lock on the chains is advised.I don't have a GPS system..yet.My trailer is stored in a car port ,at home during the off season.I agree the most dangerous aspect is the driving so bright lights are a must .Cheers Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbean60 View Post
What specific GPS tracking device do you use?
Sorry, for obvious reasons I will not disclose the exact system that I am using but here are some excellent examples of some of the units available Buy GPS Tracking, Personal Locator Beacons @ GPS Central and SPOT Trace
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #33

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
GPS

While traveling I use a Delorme Inreach sat. system that allows email communications anywhere.This system also displays tracks and displays your location on a topo map.I use this for work in remote areas and it also has an SOS function allowing medical evac.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #34

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

My whole life Hx is stored on an external drive I can carry with me when travelling, something that came in handy in Italy when a bag was lost by the airline for a few days.
I'm glad this worked for you! The first time I detached my external drive, it crashed.

LP
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #35

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Buy GPS Tracking, Personal Locator Beacons @ GPS Central[/url] and SPOT Trace
We just bought a Spot Gen3, and so far it's really great. The hubby takes long motorcycle rides (several hundred miles), and when I'd ask where he was going, he'd point and say "that way." Now if something happens, we'll know where to find him! It needs to "see" the sky though, so if we wanted to use it on the trailer we'd almost have to secure it to the top...

LP
Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #36

External Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I'm glad this worked for you! The first time I detached my external drive, it crashed. <_<

LP
I have a Seagate "Free Agent" external drive that I bought at COSTCO about 3-4 years ago. I connect it and disconnect it several times a week without ever having a problem.

Don't get a terribly large one, 1/2 gig is more than enough for what I do with mine.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #37

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I would agree with Donna about insurance. I have a friend whose Casita was burned to the ground by vandals inside a locked storage lot. Hitch lock was still in place on the charred frame.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #38

Donna posted a neat spot trace GPS unit for theft.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #39

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I haven't worried to much about someone stealing my fiver. I would take a fairly speciallize thief to hook up to it!
Old 08-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Another advantage of the Scamp 5er, but don't tell anybody!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote