Theft prevention - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
Theft prevention

Hi All, Does anyone have experience of thefts, ie. trailer, gear ?Any recommendations on prevention ? Cheers Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Sit by the door with a shotgun. Lol
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I bought a 20 ft plastic coated braided steel cable from Lowe's so I could lock the two wheels and camper beams together. Make it pretty hard to drag away this way
Attached Thumbnails
casita covered 500 pixel.jpg  
Jerry Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If your response to the threat of theft is to be measured against the likelihood, then ordinary precautions should be sufficient. Locked storage in a safe neighborhood, ordinary hitchlocks, door locks etc.
A greater threat would be that of rear end collision, so spend the money on upgraded rear lighting and be more diligent in traffic.
Of course there is no absolute prophylactic against catastrophic loss, but there may be some comfort in the knowledge that we have taken all reasonable precautions.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I agree with Floyd, simply take reasonable precautions. I am more concerned about towing than theft.

I have a rear view camera so I can see what's happening behind me while driving, I have temperature and pressure sensors on my trailer's tires. I do not drive to tiredness nor in bad weather. As well I physically double check the trailer/tow vehicle connection and test the brakes every time I hook up.

As to campground safety, in 14 years we've never had a theft problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
A simple paddle lock to put on the hitch will make it a lot tougher for someone to just hook up and drive away too. You'll want to get one with a longer loop.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
A hitch lock, and do not leave the beer cooler outside while you are gone.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Basic locks, I use a coupler lock and hitch lock; and good insurance. I don't worry much about thievery, but instead relax and enjoy myself.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
A hitch lock, and do not leave the beer cooler outside while you are gone.
We use a simple hitch lock . I second the warning about leaving a cooler full of beer sit unguarded . We left a 12 pak sit outside once and it grew legs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Because I park my Boler in a storage lots I add several layers of visual deterrents mostly to prevent the trailer itself from being stolen, items inside can be easily replaced. I use the usual hitch coupler locks, I welded loop anchors on the frame and place cable locks through those and through the wheels so it is very difficult to steal the wheels plus they won't turn. The one unique theft system I use is a GPS tracking device, if the trailer is moved I get instantly notified and the trailer sends a tracking beacon as to its location, a kind of LoJack.
The trailer is also appraised and insured for the appraised value
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Lock everything up. I have a cable that locks the propane tanks and battery to the frame.

Always LOCK the hitch to the tow vehicle. Use a padlock not just a pin. It has been posted on the internet that people have had their trailer hitch unlocked while in a restaurant and the trailer became unhitched while they drove down the road. Put the padlock on the hitch when not coupled to the tow vehicle also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have good insurance. Everything else just slows a thief down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention where you wanted to store a trailer. Precautions beside your house can be substantially different than those taken at an RV storage yard 30 miles from home.

But, as Donna mentioned, most of what we can do will only slow down a less determined thief. We get 3-4 posts here each year, usually in the spring, reporting stolen trailers.

IMHO: RV storage lots are the highest risk as the perps have all the time in the world to prepare for a theft, and you may not even know it happened for a month or more after it happens. From my own personal experiences, storage places are also more susceptible to insider assisted theft.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=floyd.
A greater threat would be that of rear end collision, so spend the money on upgraded rear lighting and be more diligent in traffic.

slightly off topic of original post but an important consideration. I know of two fiberglass campers that got rear ended last year causing considerable damage and I believe both were by big trucks. I've driven enough of those trucks to know how close visibility is limited by a long truck hood. I only had a little over a weeks time from when we bought our Casita last November until we headed south for the winter. There were two things I had to do before traveling, grease and inspect the bearings and brakes, and install a tail / turn / stop light bar above the rear window.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I worked in law enforcement for many years and investigated many burglaries and thefts. There is a difference between theft prevention and theft deterrence. I have a safe where I store many valuables, anchored a foot deep into my home's concrete foundation. The exterior is 8 gauge rolled steel, it has 2" bolts all the way around the door, etc. That is theft prevention.

What we're really talking about is deterring casual theft, by using simple locks, cables, etc. That is a very good idea no matter where you live or camp. Most of the theft victims I came into contact with didn't even try to deter, let alone prevent.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Yup. Insurance doesn't reimburse you for the aggravation of finding your genset gas can gone or God forbid your beer cooler.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Milt having been the victims of not one but two trailers stolen in one night both with hitch locks and behind locked gates I would agree with Donna and have valued to your trailer insurance .The only other thing that would deter a thief is if they can't see them ,our trailers were in a highly visible area with lots of traffic.not a good idea which is why we now keep them hidden in a concealed area.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Probably a good idea to get a replacement quote from your insurance Co. every couple years as FG trailers don't depreciate nearly as fast as stickies. Don't know if you can an actual replacement cost policy on them but it would be a good idea if you don't want to self insure (eat) the difference.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
1 7/8" hitch. Nobody else has one!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #20

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I like the cable through the wheels idea. I am going to steal this one. Thanks for sharing.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote