Them Dark Corners In The Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #1

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Them Dark Corners In The Burro

I'm sure some of you have this issue with them little dark corners in cabinets, and you can't see to find em little items in there. so I got some LED lights. From a friend at the Cherokee rally (Larry,c). Using the switch that I make where I work ( It's the switch that goes in a refrigerator that turns the lights off when you close the door). The switch, LED lights, and wire are in the first picture.

After determining where I could get my 12V from I mounted bracket that holds the switch. Measured and cut the wire then I soldered the wires together on my workbench. Also testing LED lights as you can see in the pictures 2 & 3. Just happened to be charging a car battery on the bench. Picture number 4 is were the switch is mounted in the closet. (Top left corner)

The last 2 pictures is after its done the closet is lights up when door opens And goes off as the door closes just like in your refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg  

Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I like that simple and effective. You done well.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

Kentucky
Well I got the other cabinet done, it has two doors one set of lights because I wanted the LEDs To light up the entire cabinet I wired the switches in parallel and the light in series so no matter which door you open all the lights will come on inside the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
1a.jpg   2a.jpg  

Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #4

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I should have thought about wiring my cabinet lights that way.. I just wired mine in to the under cabinet light. How much do the switches cost?
I may have to rewire mine that way.
V/R
Darrell
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:01 AM   #5

Kentucky
I'm not sure how much they would cost because I make them where I work, so I just take some that are a little discolored with my bosses permission that is.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
There's a listing of all sorts of reed (magnetic) switches here; work great for 12V:

Choosing the Right Magnetic Switch for Your Project | I Heart Switch

Most are under $10

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Kentucky
I have a question about magnetic switches. Okay I know that a magnetic switch is basically a switch with a small spring that neither opens or closes the circuit when a magnet and or a metal object comes close. Hitting them bumps that I seem to never miss like the big pot hole next to the little one I'll get the big one every time. Now my question is are the lights blinking off and on as I'm driving down the road with a magnetic switch?

Had this issue on a machine at work where we tried to use a magnetic switch and it failed because of this reason. I know it's not really the same.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Troy,
Sensitivity of the switching is set by how close or how far the magnet is from the switch. If your doors rattle so much the switch might come on as if the door was open, but will go off when you finish going over the speed bump. Doesn't really matter as LEDs live a long time.

Best to get a set and play with them on a bench with a meter to get a feel for them.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro