Thermostat retrofit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Thermostat retrofit

Love my Scamp and glad I had the domestic AC factory installed. But it does not have a thermostat just runs on low to high. Gets pretty cold and a little noisy at night. Any ideas on how to add a thermostat.
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you can add one like an electric heat t-stat, as long as it has reversed contacts- needs to close on heat not open, there may be a way to tie into the factory AC wiring inside the unit itself, need to get the wiring diagram
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
George,

Here is one that might work for you. If your AC is plugged in, this would require no wiring, and the remote could be kept in a convenient place near you to sense the temperature. A proper AC thermostat has a delay feature to prevent the compressor from starting under pressure, or cycling too often, but this one might work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Nashone-Tempe...4224106&sr=8-6
Old 07-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed one in mine. Got the idea originally created by a gentleman over on the Casita group. This one works and has worked faithfully for 9 yrs!!! I got tired of the "humidity" it was causing and this stopped that as well. I can keep the temp within 1 deg in the Scamp if I want to. It was a VERY "necessary" mod and the best on the Scamp. It's a bit detailed but can be simplified. I just like how this version performs to the MAX!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57626806751813

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Wood View Post
Love my Scamp and glad I had the domestic AC factory installed. But it does not have a thermostat just runs on low to high. Gets pretty cold and a little noisy at night. Any ideas on how to add a thermostat.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Thanks

Appreciate all the ideas. I am sure one will work when I get home. Right now on a two month wander around the midwest and west. Again, appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. GW
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote