Thetford Extended Warranty? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: Lawson
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Thetford Extended Warranty?

We picked up our new Casita Spirit Deluxe last week and included in the package of materials they gave us, was an offer of an extended service plan for the Thetford toilet - 1-year $39.95, 2-years $49.95, 3-years $59.95, and 4-years $69.95. It includes parts and shipping.

We've never owned a trailer with a toilet until this one. Can anyone tell me if this extended warranty is a good investment?

Thanks!
Lawson Drinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
IMO I would not buy an extended warranty on Thetford. If it broke I would replace it with a Dometic ceramic toilet. I don't like the Thetford because it is a plastic toilet and the issues with it being plastic and its build. That being said the Thetford is a fairly reliable starter toilet and they last for years.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
I acquired a 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe last year and the prior owner was quite religious about maintaining all the manuals and paperwork. In 2009 he replaced the toilet valve ($34.19) and in 2017 it was replaced a second time ($43.43). The toilet has worked perfectly for me over the past year.

For the prices you quoted for the warranty, I would pass....

Once upon a time I worked in retail and the warranties were an EXTREMELY LUCRATIVE money maker for both the store and for the sales associate.

I was always amused when purchasing appliances and cars that, after extolling the virtues and reliability of the item, the sales associate would switch gears to sell a warranty under the premise that the item was sure to fail.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I bought an audio adapter plug for $1.69 and was offered an extended warranty.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Drinkard View Post
We picked up our new Casita Spirit Deluxe last week and included in the package of materials they gave us, was an offer of an extended service plan for the Thetford toilet - 1-year $39.95, 2-years $49.95, 3-years $59.95, and 4-years $69.95. It includes parts and shipping.

We've never owned a trailer with a toilet until this one. Can anyone tell me if this extended warranty is a good investment?

Thanks!
Personally, I'd skip the warranty and apply that money to buying a real toilet instead of that Thetford plastic POS. Get yourself a good SeaLand Model 511 ceramic bowl toilet which comes with a real wooden seat and a 4 bolt mounting base. (The Thetford is held down by only 2 bolts.) Feels much better than sitting on that glorified plastic 5 Gallon bucket with a hinged lid. Also much easier to clean than plastic, and many who have the SeaLand, some more than 20 years, haven't even needed to replace so much as a seal, (much less the entire water valve, as on the plastic Thetford toilets, which are famous for them going kaput on you.)
Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
casita1 018.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you step back and realize you are buying insurance on a toilet, the decision is pretty clear.

I buy insurance on the big stuff, never buy insurance on individual appliances or toilets either.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Don't flush your money down the drain.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
Thetford Warranty

We have a 2005 Zinger sticky trailer with a Thetford Toilet. We have had no problems with it for 14 years. We are weekend and holiday campers. I wouldn't recommend getting the extended warranty. After 14 years that toilet doesn't owe us anything. We like it so much that we replaced the broken toilet in our 1979 Boler 17' with the same type of Thetford Toilet.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
South Carolina
FWIW I would pass as well. In fact I did pass 1 and 1/2 years with no problems.
johnwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote