Thickness of Plexiglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Thickness of Plexiglass

Does anyone know the thickness of the plexiglass in the Boler's rear and front windows? I have a small leak and want to replace the rubber seal and need to know what size to order. I'm getting this work done at a local glass shop.

Thanks Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

Name: Adam
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1972
Alberta
Just dropped mine off to get cut yesterday, we figured they were 6mm
adriemel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
6 mm =.23662 inches almost 1/4"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to make sure as I heard somewhere that it was 4 or 4.5 mm thick.

Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
why not just order the seal from Scamp? I'm sure it will be the right thickness.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Alberta
just got my glass back, I had 6mm. They are not going in so easy, I might be biting the bullet and getting new cut again, thinking 4mm if I cannot get them installed tomorrow

I am finding the 6mm is just too stiff to accommodate the curves of the trailer. I hope I have not steered you in the wrong direction!

This is a learning process for me. The p-glass I took out was 6mm, but definately a more flexible product than what I just got back from the shop. A little puzzled
Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 73 Boler
Registry
My original plexiglass was pretty close to 4.5mm. I also tried 6mm acrylic and found it a bit thick to fit to the required curve.
Peter Steckhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The plexiglass in the 13 scamp I am currently working on is 3/16" thick. Not a common stocked thickness around here in Va., most people want me to buy a whole 4 X 8 sheet. I did find some 2X4 sheets in the W.W. Granger catalog.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If you can find a plastic supply place you should be able to get a piece cut to your size. ( It works that way here in Ohio LOL )

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
The plexiglass in the 13 scamp I am currently working on is 3/16" thick. Not a common stocked thickness around here in Va., most people want me to buy a whole 4 X 8 sheet. I did find some 2X4 sheets in the W.W. Granger catalog.
Eddie
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
At about 3:45 minutes into this video I make reference to the plexiglass being 4 or 4.5mm thick. It has been a few years since I posted this but I will try to dig out my old invoice to confirm.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriemel83 View Post
just got my glass back, I had 6mm. They are not going in so easy, I might be biting the bullet and getting new cut again, thinking 4mm if I cannot get them installed tomorrow

I am finding the 6mm is just too stiff to accommodate the curves of the trailer. I hope I have not steered you in the wrong direction!

This is a learning process for me. The p-glass I took out was 6mm, but definately a more flexible product than what I just got back from the shop. A little puzzled
For installation, I used liberal amounts of dish soap. It lubricates and rinses off when your done. A word of caution, don't cut the plexi too short in the corners as it will leak. Any decent glass and mirror supply house should have 1/4 inch plexi. Mine cost $60.00 bucks but I cut the radius curves at the corners. Also, Don't bother trying this job without a QUALITY lace/bead lock tool. You'll drive yourself to frustration. Once I got the plexi in the rubber seal, I had the lace in place in less than 10 minutes. Liberal amounts of dish soap is the trick. Also, after you get everything installed, go inside the trailer and be sure the plexi is seated. Same goes for the outside.

When you join the two butted ends of the rubber seal, go to your local automotive glass repair place and get the tail end of a tube of the black sealant. (They often throw away the caulking type cartridge with a little bit left in the end.) You only need a couple of drops in each butt joint. Apply it and let it set up for a couple of hours before you try to put the plexi in place. If you don't use the sealant it will leak. I know, I tried it already.

This is not a difficult job if you are patient and use lots of lube and have the correct tools.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
Hi Adam,
Dredging up an old post! I'm going to pick on you since I'm in AB too (calgary).
Did you end up being able to get the 6mm to fit? Where did you get the plexi and where did you get it cut?

My rear window has some unfortunate cracks and needs to be replaced. I'm not looking forward to this!
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Alberta
The 6mm was too thick. It would go into the window, with heaps of grunting, swearing and baby oil; but the double bend in the glass (it has to flex vertically as well as horizontally) made it pop out immediately. Back to the shop and we put in 4mm plexi. Worked great.