Thickness of Scamp roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thickness of Scamp roof

Question for anyone that might know:
My 2010 16' Scamp has the factory installed boomerang antenna on the roof. Last year when i was removing the trailer cover it caught the antenna and broke. I wasn't too unhappy because the antenna was never able to pull any signals in anyway.
I bought a Jack HDTV rotatable antenna from camping world to replace the original. This requires me to drill a 1 1/2" diameter hole through the roof of the scamp for the turn dial inside. The manual says it requires a minimum of 1 1/4" roof thickness. Does anyone know how thick the roof might be before I take my hole saw to it? I know the fiberglass itself is not that thick but I'm wondering what the total thickness is with fiberglass shell, insulation, and rat fur.
Thanks!
Chris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Chris,
Perhaps you could construct a spacer or frame of wood to shim out the roof on the inside to accommodate your antenna. Scamp construction is probably less than a 1/2" sandwich, and only the shell is hard material.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thanks Russ. That's kind of what I was thinking I might have to do. After I install it I'll post an update.
Chris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Chris,
Perhaps you could construct a spacer or frame of wood to shim out the roof on the inside to accommodate your antenna. Scamp construction is probably less than a 1/2" sandwich, and only the shell is hard material.
Russ
I have not removed a vent or cut into a roof of a Scamp that was reinforced for AC installation so can't say how thick it might be but I do know that the roof not reinforced for AC are closer to a 1/4" thick than a 1/2".
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp