Thinking like a thief looking at my Scamp's door. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Thinking like a thief looking at my Scamp's door.

FGRV folks,

When I try to think like a thief and look at my Scamp's door it looks like such an easy break-in. I doubt any self-respecting housebreaker would be challenged at all. Using a small wrench or nut driver I would quietly have the hinges off and be inside in a couple of minutes, no matter how fancy the door latch is, and I have zero experience in such nefarious dealings.

I have tossed around several solutions in my mind to extend break-in to at least 5 minutes. Most promising are a couple of steel pins in the door's edge that would engage the door "jamb" as the door closes. But with the thin door, etc it doesn't look easy. And a crowbar wielding thief would be quickly in whatever I do.

Have you folks given this any thought? I would love to hear/see if you have any solutions. I realize there is no true security in/on our eggs. I just want it to be a little more difficult for any brigand to force entry; maybe she will try the nearby stickbuilt instead. Meanwhile I keep the insurance paid up.

Thanks, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The harder you make it for a thief, the more damage they will do breaking in. Is the stuff in the trailer worth what it will cost to repair the trailer?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If they don't go in a door, how hard would it really be to break in through a window instead? I would just make sure you have the insurance coverage you need, to eliminate any worry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have friends who have hunting cabins in Northern Wisconsin which are only used during the Wisconsin 9 day deer hunting seasons . They got broke into several times so they added additional locks to the doors and windows and added burglar bars on the doors and windows. The locals just took gas powered chain saws and cut a hole in the wall and then they not only stole everything that was not nailed down ,they damaged /vandalized the building .Now the cabin owners leave the doors unlocked and a note on the door saying come on in but please do not wreck the place . No problem since then . Sometimes locks feed a thiefs curiousity.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
I agree. I keep a wheel lock on one of the wheels on whatever side is most visible and I leave the door unlocked. There is stuff in the camper that is probably somewhat expensive to buy like my super warm comforter, inverter, and LEDs, but the resale street value is very very low. Any damage to the trailer would be far more costly. By the way ever tried pushing in the big plastic window in the front. Anything more than a soft shove will push it right through. Your camper is NOT secure. Best to keep anything of value hidden or at home.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have friends who have hunting cabins in Northern Wisconsin which are only used during the Wisconsin 9 day deer hunting seasons . They got broke into several times so they added additional locks to the doors and windows and added burglar bars on the doors and windows. The locals just took gas powered chain saws and cut a hole in the wall and then they not only stole everything that was not nailed down ,they damaged /vandalized the building .Now the cabin owners leave the doors unlocked and a note on the door saying come on in but please do not wreck the place . No problem since then . Sometimes locks feed a thiefs curiousity.
I have friends who did exactly the same thing with a backcountry cabin they built for ski touring from. They had trouble with break-ins, so left the place unlocked with a laminated note of the front door that basically said to go ahead and use if wanted, but treat the place with respect. The worst thing they had to deal with is spit wood getting used up, and maybe a bit of garbage left behind, but no damages in quite a few years now.

I had heard of the chainsaw entry before too. Talk about quick and easy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with all. Not much you can do to deter a determined thief. Keep your insurance paid up, don't leave anything of special value in the trailer, and leave the curtains open so they can see what you don't have. Electronics go with you or secured in the car.

Our house was broken into a few years ago. All they found worth taking was a few DVDs and an ancient DVD player. The broken window was the worst loss.

Yesterday evening we were enjoying our "home entertainment system" - episodes of "I Love Lucy" on VHS played on a 13" TV-VHS combo.

Best not to become a slave of your stuff.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a,lot of wooded undeveloped land in our area. Out of state people from large cities buy a piece of woodland so they can have their own little piece of paradise . The first thing they do is circle the land with no trespassing signs convinced that the signs will keep the locals off their land when they are gone.
In actuality they are advertising that no one is home and there are things to steal on the land . No trespassing signs only work with people who can read and fear the law .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you look a little more at the Scamp door you'll soon realize that the easiest way in would be to grab the bottom of the door and rip it off. I think I'd rather take my chances with simple hinge removal.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
FGRV folks,

When I try to think like a thief and look at my Scamp's door it looks like such an easy break-in. I doubt any self-respecting housebreaker would be challenged at all.
LOL don't need to even be a self-respecting housebreaker to get in. I have never in my life even tried to pick a lock but I had to break into my trailer one night ..... removed the outside screws from the door handle & it all came apart

I am with the others if someone wants to steal something or break in to something the will. Its the reason that most of us carry insurance and honestly there is nothing I keep in my trailer that is not replaceable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Screw vs pins

Why remove 6 screws when you can simply take out 2 hinge pins?

I think an alarm would be better, especially in an RV Park.

Portable Alarms – Mobile Alarm Devices for Travel

We had an attempted break in at the house. By Murphy's law, he picked the one window where the window alarm wasn't working, but the motion detector got him. I tell you, you can't think when that alarm goes off in the house it is so loud.

My neighbors told me it happened at about 4am the day we returned home. None, however, thought to call police. Grrr.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Why remove 6 screws when you can simply take out 2 hinge pins?

Actually my door handle only has 2 screws so it was a push!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Push or Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually my door handle only has 2 screws so it was a push!
It would be a push for the hinge pins. The screws have to be twisted. My Trillium does not have any external screws on the latch. There are 6 on the hinges (3@), however.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC3003.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	78476

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
During most of the years we had our Scamp 13 we never locked the door (because we lost the key) and no one ever bothered to go inside and take anything.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Passive deterrents cost next to nothing and worth the effort (to me). This is a decal on the body next to the door window on a trailer parked next to mine in the storage yard.
Attached Thumbnails
ElectronicsDecal.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Kind of my thought Donna, most of our trailers are NOT like the big stickies that have big TVs and electronic gizmos, really there is not much for a snatch and grab thief to take. I am more concerned about the entire trailer being stolen
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
All you need is one of these stickers:

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
All you need is one of these stickers:

That might work in the USA but not in Canada. No one would believe you
Old 11-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The sticker Ron posted wouldn't work for me either. Ten Forward isn't stored at home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
you cannot deter a thief....

but you might just get him to break into the trailer next door....that's the best you can hope for I think...

when I used to trailer a sailboat for cruising...I used to park the truck and trailer in some remote locations for days or a week at a time... I made up an 8x11" sign that read "NOTHING of value has been left in this truck" (stored under the seat) and placed it on the dash when I parked....I left the center console flipped open as well as the glove box (light bulb removed)

I never got broken into
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp