Thinking of replacing bathroom door with accordion folding door... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Thinking of replacing bathroom door with accordion folding door...

Hi, my main space problem in the 13' Scamp is that when I want to open the bathroom door the dogs are in the way, so we have to all do this hokey pokey round and round thing just so that I can open that door. I was wondering about replacing that door with a curtain, and then saw a folding shower door on an rv supply website. Has anyone done this or contemplated this? I would have to secure the stuff I store in there while on the road, but that seems like a small price to pay....

Any thoughts?
DogHaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, my main space problem in the 13' Scamp is that when I want to open the bathroom door the dogs are in the way, so we have to all do this hokey pokey round and round thing just so that I can open that door. I was wondering about replacing that door with a curtain, and then saw a folding shower door on an rv supply website. Has anyone done this or contemplated this? I would have to secure the stuff I store in there while on the road, but that seems like a small price to pay....

Any thoughts?
Never done this but sounds like a really good mod. If you do it, please take some pics so we can see how you did it.
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
you need a shower curtain anyway, so just remove the door.
We solved that problem before it started.... No dogs!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
Over on the Casita forum several people have replaced their wood door with a $25 accordion door from Lowe's.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
When I had my scamp it wS kicking around that same idea
Seemed to me like a very doable mod
I agree with the previous poster any of the big box stores should have a vinyl bifold door ( At least that was what I was considering)

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
This thread brings back memories of the bathroom door just off the entry in the house where I grew up. My dad installed a 2-piece door that folded in the middle. That thing would give fits to any relatives who came to visit... "How does this thing work???" LOL
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:

Any thoughts?

My thoughts.....was going to do the same thing on my old camper. We haven't been able to camp in it yet because we're working on it. BUT I KNOW we wont be able to get into the bathroom when that bed is pulled out because all that's left on the floor space is only about 12". So my idea was to use an accordian door BUT that would STILL take away 4-6" of that 12". So my thought is to use my door that is ON there already. Just take it off the hinges and put in a rolling system at the top so the door can slide on rollers and not stick out into our 12". The rod that the slding thing would be in would extend farther out than the wood BUT it would be over our heads and I was thinking about putting something up there to hide it if I could. I will see if I can find the link of my idea. My hubby welds so I figured he could build this for me. Because there is no way I'd pay 100 plus for this!!! Well I just found this one and it's not 100 plus. This is what I was referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...3%2Ck%3Asheave
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

Mississippi
This one is what I referring to but when I did some searching to show you I found the one I posted first. I really like this idea since it wont take up our floor space and we can get IN the door without waking up the ones in the bed 12" away.

Amazon.com: sbd AUSTIN 1 - 8' feet - 98" (2.5 m) Rail Sliding Barn Door Hardware Rustic Antique Classic Country Dark Coffee Track Rail Set Steel extra long: Home Improvement
Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #9

Mississippi
Still looking.....lol DIY Sliding Door | The Lettered Cottage
Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 AM   #10

Trailer:
Quote:
...so we have to all do this hokey pokey round and round thing just so that I can open that door.
Any thoughts?
How about playing some music when you do this so that you can call this dancing?
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote