Thoughts on removing all insulation from my Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
Thoughts on removing all insulation from my Scamp?

Here is why I'm considering it:

1. I have major mold paranoia, and my breathing is already bad inside of my Scamp
2. I'm used to tent-camping in the winter and have the gear for it, so insulation really isn't something I care about
3. I leave the windows open whenever I'm in the Scamp anyway so the insulation is doubly useless

Anyone have any reasons I still SHOULDN'T remove all the insulation in my Scamp?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
There are some places in my 1977 Scamp where the interior under the "Elephant skin" is prickly with chopped fiberglass threads. Those might be real bad for your lungs if they break off and you breath them.

I'm not sure what you could do to smooth and encapsulate them if you encounter it. My ignorant idea would be to sand them down and use a few coats of paint to cover them and it would be fine.

Others will likely have more knowledgeable answers.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Don't do it.
Clean and get someone to clean it with bleach.
Then coat it with Bullseye 123 with mold resistant additive.
You will have more mold with the constant condensation on the inside than you do now.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Buy an ozone generator and run it routinely, maybe once a quarter. Inside fiberglass is not smooth, not meant to be exposed. Trailer will sweat, a lot! You will need to run a dehumidifier.

Address all leaks and possible leaks. Properly reseal all penetrations: windows, hatches, vents, or whatever.

In the end, its a lot of work to remove all that interior insulation, and then you will have to install something similar in its place.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As a buyer I wouldn’t even look at a unit that had the insulation taken out. It’s not just for cold weather, but also heat gain in hot weather and sound control. I think resale will take a significant hit.

I’m with Bill. Keep it dry, keep it clean, run an ionizer. Might start with a thorough vacuum and gentle steam clean. The headliner material is a non-absorbent, marine-grade product, so any irritants are on the surface.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I would add my agreement to the other excellent reasons posted above for NOT removing the insulation. Besides covering the rough un-sanded interior finish of the fiberglass, it definitely will "sweat" condensation on the inside of the trailer. I can't think of a condition that will offer a better avenue for mold and mildew to form than a damp location with limited ventilation. Also, the fiberglass is a good transmitter of light, (think fiber optics for example,) and if you don't want to see someone's shadow walking by the side of your trailer in the sunlight, or have some "late arrivals" headlights lighting up the interior of your trailer while they pull in, I would recommend not removing it. It's there for several reasons.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I may have missed something, but what is your wall covering, ensolite or rat fur? (or possibly some other previous owner installed material)
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The 'insulation' also works as a sound deadner. If you ever camp in the rain and you've stripped the insulation out, it will be like camping with a bucket overturned over your head. People often talk about how pleasant the rain sounds on the roof of their trailer, but you won't like it because it's going to be LOUD without that insulation. Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Hey, I thought you were always the one to say "different strokes, all good" here!
I do, but it's also important to give information. THEN the owner can make an informed choice.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Clean and dry is how you prevent mold. Don't have that you will have mold. There are also many products to prevent mold from forming.

I use scrubbing bubbles with mold prevention on my vinyl frame basement windows once a year and it stops any mold forming from condensation running down the glass. Without that it was a regular cleaning item to prevent mold. Ground level window open on garden was always getting exposed to organics every time it was opened.

I would make sure any product used isn't an irritant when used in a small space before doing the whole camper.

Liner provides
  • Temperature insulation both hot and cold
  • Condensation like a cold glass on a hot day.
  • Sound deadening. Rain and campground. Or rest area nap.
  • Lack of privacy when lighted inside or hit by headlights.
  • Loss of resale value.
Are these things you can give up?

There is at least one member who took out the elephant hide. Sanded and painted the inside. I think that was a case of the liner was in rough shape and difficult to get material and not easy to repair that drove that decision.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #11

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Michigan View Post
I may have missed something, but what is your wall covering, ensolite or rat fur? (or possibly some other previous owner installed material)
I'm actually not sure what it is, it's from a previous owner
Old 06-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #12

NJ
Thanks everyone for the advice. The insulation will stay in for now
Old 06-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
I'm actually not sure what it is, it's from a previous owner
If it’s newer than about 1986- which I recalled from earlier conversations- then it’s probably a beige carpet-like marine headliner, nicknamed “rat fur” by many here. The phrase was coined by the late Pete Dumbleton, a forum member who traveled in his Scamp with several real live pet rats. Scamp still uses it with a layer of foil bubble wrap underneath.

Older units have a closed cell foam lining with a textured, off-white vinyl top layer. The trade name is Ensolite, and it's sometimes referred to affectionately as “elephant hide.”

There was a short time Scamp used a third product, grey in color, forgot what it's called. Pretty rare. It could also be something else installed by a previous owner, but that’s also very uncommon. It’s just too much work to change the lining unless it’s really badly damaged.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #14

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Mississippi
As a retired code official and with mold issues, you might want to consider that according to remediation experts the air we breath has mold in it. Usually more than is in most homes.
nascar5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #15

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar5776 View Post
As a retired code official and with mold issues, you might want to consider that according to remediation experts the air we breath has mold in it. Usually more than is in most homes.
Yes, but we don't need to add mold that that air we already breath in.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it is Ensolite then clean it with detergent, kill the mold with bleach, paint with a anti-microbial primer like Bullseye 123 or similar and then paint with an good interior latex again with anti- microbial.
I was "lucky" as when I rebuilt out Scamp 16 the floor was rotten and had to come out and SWMBO said it had to be cleaned and odorized and de-funked before she would go into it.
So I was able to use major force to clean with no worries about the floor. Pressure washing the Elephant hide and scrubbing and disinfecting with bleach etc.
The stains were still on the surface, but the primer covered it well and the latex paint stuck well to it.
Leave the insulation and clean it. Still don't know if it is rat fur or elephant hide or something redone by a previous owner.
If rat fur I assume you could still wash it with soap and water etc.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin