Three Questions: - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Three Questions:

I have a brand new Ford Escape with tow capacity of 3500 pounds. While there are quite a few trailers under that, most are borderline. I've been searching for just the right trailer with dry weight under 2500. That usually leaves me with tradeoffs. I have to have A/C, a bathroom, and permanent bed. Most options that meet these criteria have a wet bath, which I would prefer to avoid. So, here are a few questions that perhaps you kind folks might shed some light on. Keep in mind that we are two seniors, and I am 6'2".

1) How functional/cramped is the bath in a Scamp or Casita? How difficult or how much of a pain to wipe it down after a shower? This is addressed to those who actually use it.

2) I believe I read somewhere that the Casita has a low ceiling. Will I be able to stand up in it, or should I eliminate Casita from my search?

3) Do any of you have experience with the Roulottes Prolite? Their 16-footer is only 1900 pounds, and that includes a slide. Probably the lightest trailer I've seen, and it is fiberglass.

I was hoping to go to a rally soon to check things out, but the Phoenix area seems to be devoid of such things.
thewags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita 16'ers are shorter inside, about 5'10". Scamp specs 6'3" on their 16'er, but the most I can measure is 6'1"-6'2", and the AC hangs down a bit more. A low ceiling matters to some more than others. Only way to find out is to get inside for yourself.

There is a annual rally in Quartzite, usually early February. Because it's on undeveloped BLM land, it attracts self-contained units, and there should be quite a few Casitas along with a smattering of Scamps, Escapes, Bigfoots, etc.

Maybe we should have a summer rally somewhere in the Arizona high country. Or better, early fall when campgrounds aren't so packed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Finding someone on this forum that has a trailer with a dry bath will be very difficult. Since the wet bath is usually all fiberglass, and it's very small, it's fairly easy to clean.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewags View Post
Do any of you have experience with the Roulottes Prolite? Their 16-footer is only 1900 pounds, and that includes a slide. Probably the lightest trailer I've seen, and it is fiberglass.
No, it's not. It's clad with fiberglass sheeting, but it's a stick built conventional trailer. Lots of conventional trailers have a fiberglass outer skin - and even some molded fiberglass components. When we say fiberglass, we are talking about a molded fiberglass trailer - an egg - where the fiberglass shell is the structure itself.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Casita 17 owner here.

1. Regarding the wet bath, we don't find it to be an issue. If you're concerned about the toilet getting wet, you can rig a shower curtain that contains more of the flow, but it's such a tiny area you can wipe it down quickly or just let it air dry, there's a window and a dedicated fan.

2. Regarding height - most people don't spend much time standing up in trailers of this size. There's certainly nowhere to walk to. I would be more concerned with making sure you have enough room to sleep comfortably. If you need to stretch go outside.

3. N/A.

Hope this helps.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wipe down the bath walls with a squeegee and a sponge. You need to clean the bathroom from time to time anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
squeegee.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Funny....

it's funny how so many people (who have not experienced one) have what seems to be an automatic aversion to wet baths.....Me?...I love 'em...If somebody made one 4 by 5 feet I'd probably put one in a house !

You may put the following in the "too much information" column but here goes....

you have to use a wet bath "differently" than the one in your house. Most guys, I think, normally shower THEN brush teeth and shave. In a WB you reverse that process and only use the hot tap for teeth and shave (that fills the hot line with hot...wasting NO water).... it is tight quarters in there but you can make a mess.... don't matter...you're going to shower next.

I think most people at home shower from "the top down" (with water running the whole time).....in a WB (where it's not desirable to leave the water on).... reverse that process (shower "bottom up")....works better and uses less water (in a trailer that is the goal...in your house it don't matter)

After showering yourself....you "shower" the bathroom....all the walls, the sink, the toilet......and you're DONE, you just cleaned your whole bathroom in 20 seconds! what's not to like?

exit bathroom, leave the fan on....in an hour or two it's all dry.......
Attached Thumbnails
bath2.jpg   bath9d.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewags View Post
I have a brand new Ford Escape with tow capacity of 3500 pounds. While there are quite a few trailers under that, most are borderline. I've been searching for just the right trailer with dry weight under 2500. That usually leaves me with tradeoffs. I have to have A/C, a bathroom, and permanent bed. Most options that meet these criteria have a wet bath, which I would prefer to avoid. So, here are a few questions that perhaps you kind folks might shed some light on. Keep in mind that we are two seniors, and I am 6'2".

1) How functional/cramped is the bath in a Scamp or Casita? How difficult or how much of a pain to wipe it down after a shower? This is addressed to those who actually use it.

2) I believe I read somewhere that the Casita has a low ceiling. Will I be able to stand up in it, or should I eliminate Casita from my search?

3) Do any of you have experience with the Roulottes Prolite? Their 16-footer is only 1900 pounds, and that includes a slide. Probably the lightest trailer I've seen, and it is fiberglass.

I was hoping to go to a rally soon to check things out, but the Phoenix area seems to be devoid of such things.
1] The front bath is comfortable and usable on the Scamp, We wipe the shower down with a wash cloth and a towel after a shower.It takes about 90 seconds to do a good job of drying it.
We have used ours for over 13 years twice a day while traveling, It still is in practically new condition.
The Scamp side bath is more cramped and less convenient but usable.

2] You don't say how tall you are or whether you are even able to stand.
The Scamp is 6'3" inside height. The Casita about 5'10".

3] I'm not familiar with the Prolite, but I would wager that it is at least as heavy as a comparably sized and equipped Scamp 16 if actually weighed. Probably much more. Its a stickbuilt.

The Scamp16 front bath side dinette would likely fit your needs.
The Casita16 might as well, the Casita 17 is heavier.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am 6 ft 1 1/2" was 6 ft 2" in my younger days .
I never had a problem with ceiling height or the wet bath in my Scamp 16 SD. It's only a concern if you want to make it a concern.
I chose to live with it and just go camping.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote