Tips on Planning a Trip or Where Are All The Good Campgrounds? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: JD
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Nebraska
Tips on Planning a Trip or Where Are All The Good Campgrounds?

Hello All,

I will be planning a three week trip next summer with my Scamp 13, wife and two kids. I'm looking for tips on how to locate desirable campgrounds and plan a trip aside from the tedious act of Googling campgrounds and trying to figure out what they are really like. I'm inclined towards more "nature" and less "parking lot" if you know what I mean.

What's your method for exploring new areas and planning a trip?
JD Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Apps:
Allstays ($10 but worth it) also RV Parky, UC Public.

Clubs:
Good Sam (and Apple OS only App)
Passport America (and App)

Internet:
reserveamerica.com
Tripadvisor.com

Camping POIs on GPS

that will get you started.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
All stays; good suggestion.

Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds App

I like the filters, since I prefer to stay in federal and state campgrounds.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I suggest you state how far you want to travel, what you'd like to do. If it's in the Nebraska area I bet their are people who can make some campground suggestions. Do you want to move between places, stay some where for 3 weeks, ....?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We're a bit old-fashioned in that we, generally, do not depend on electronics. We have found Woodall's book to be very helpful and the AAA camping books are great.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
See the sites

I like to use Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Campsite photos are a help....another idea is "google earth" ...type in the complete address and presto! you get an Ariel view!

If you like nature always try state campgrounds, National park campgrounds and COE campgrounds. I always try for state campgrounds and/or COE campgrounds on lakes.

If you head east from your location try the state and DEC campgrounds in the
Adirondack Parks of upstate New York....fantastic large campsites, many on lakes in wilderness settings! For a complete look and pictures of every campsite try this web site:
campadk.com.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Nebraska
Great Ideas

These are all great suggestions. We will be heading to New England from Omaha, out one way back another, spreading it over 3 weeks. Likely stay a little longer on Cape Ann, MA.

Yes, older National and State Parks are more my style. Any must see recommendations are welcomed. Lakes are good.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #9

North Carolina
Places to avoid while towing a travel trailer, Metro New York City, Long Island, NY, Connecticut and I95, Rhode Island and most if not all of Massachusetts....
all crazy traffic and even crazier drivers!

Suggestions:
Vermont: Button Bay State Park on historic Lake Champlain
Half Moon Pond State Park (beautiful)
Visit the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum when
There!
New York: Adirondacks
Fish Creek Ponds State Park (130 large lake front
sites on two lakes)

Happy Camping!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
One interesting thing I have noted is some of the most peaceful campsites are those that lack bodies of water. With kids (or grandkids) a beach or river is a lot of fun but for those same reasons a campground without those amenities tends to be more sedate.

Wilderness or rustic camping without a beach tends to be less noisy, with more trail bikers and hikers. Dry camping (no water source) tends to be even less rowdy. Absent someone running a generator it can be very peaceful.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

Nebraska
Trailers Prohibited?

Again, more great suggestions. It seems I am inclined towards the rustic naturalist experience.

A question comes to mind since I'm new to "trailering": At what point are you prohibited from sites because you have a 13' trailer in tow. Can I assume that you can have a trailer at any site you can have a car?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #12

North Carolina
With a 13 ft. Travel Trailer you should be OK, however check to insure that the campsite you want is authorized for a Travel Trailer. Many sites in state parks are for "tents only". The Adirondack state parks list the maximum size trailer on all sites and also indicate if the site is tents only. Travel Trailer sites are listed as: max 20 ft., max 30ft etc, etc.

If in doubt call the campground and ask to avoid problems.
I to prefer the natural scene when camping...I do not like the KOA Disney type "plastic" atmosphere of many commercial campgrounds.
IMHO you can't beat the natural state and national park campgrounds.
Get a quiet generator for your Travel Trailer and you have all the comforts in the 100% natural setting.

Happy Camping!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Some sites are designated tent only. Those "may" sometimes allow the small 13 ft. camper but trailer being allowed in those tent only sites is not to be expected or counted on.

Some say it is ridiculous to not allow them, others that tent only means tent only and the tent campers should not be forced to have an RV in the next site when in a tent only section.

Some sites charge more for features not always of use to a smaller camper. 50 amp electric, water and sewer hookup on site are some that come to mind. The stock 3 prong plug of my scamp is 20 amp electric. With AC one may want a 30 amp electric hook up. 50 amp is pretty heavy duty and supports heavy electric use. Thus sites with that cost more.

Pull through or paved sites are another aspect that campgrounds may charge for that are less important to a small camper.

You can of course camp there but expect to pay more in varying amounts for these "extra" features, which may be of no use, just extra expense.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Eben View Post
We will be heading to New England from Omaha, out one way back another, spreading it over 3 weeks, and likely staying a little longer on Cape Ann, MA.
Omaha to Cape Ann - with significant time at Cape Ann - in three weeks ? I'd be doing ALL my route planning, and projected overnight stops, well in advance, using all the various web sites, and booking services available. May not be much opportunity to co-incidentally explore those 'off the pavement' natural locations - IMHO
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #15

North Carolina
If you plan the trip and daily mileage limits along with advanced reservations you will have a better trip than not setting daily distance goals and overnight stops. Give it a lot of advanced planning.

Many decades I took the family on a major RV trip from Connecticut to all the major National Parks in the west and covered about 7,000 miles and countless stops in about 5 weeks. Everyday was planned in advance. Key parks like Yellowstone were reserved a full year in advance. Without advanced reservations getting a site at the RV park in Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge) would not have been possible as all sites are booked a year in advance.

Enjoy your adventure! Happy Camping!