Tire blow out - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Not to beat a dead horse but you may want to check the age of your spare tire too. I made the mistake of swapping in a 15 year old unused tire when the original wore out. We made it from Wisconsin to a bumpy stretch of freeway in San Antonio, TX. Luckily there was a Discount Tire shop with the correct replacement nearby. Vacation saved and lesson learned.
davenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #42

Name: Del
Trailer: Presidio-Fleetwood
Alberta
I run a 40' Coach and a large car hauler, highway speeds are now up to 80mph. We are Canadians who winter in Arizona. Going home in the spring my wife becomes a believer in doing the speed limit(80), when she is driving. I'm still the 65mph guy, I do the repairs. I have taught mechanics most of my life, so you can imagine all the thoughts going through my brain, tires, wheel bearings, drivetrain, and steering. One of them is not mentioning slowing down to my wife.
My suggestion is to buy a $25.00 infrared laser temperature gun. EVERTIME, we stop to stretch our legs changing drivers every hour, walk around and read all temperatures. All the tires(sun side will read slightly higher), center front hubs(bearings), center diff hubs(bearings and internal bearings), trailer tires and center hubs. I find this gives me peace of mind that I do not have something developing. I use it also to measure temperature top of rad and compare to lower rad temperature, helps tell when rad needs some attention. Check thermostat opening temperature. We also use the tool for some our cooking needs.
21AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #43

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm sure this is all readily available on the interwebs, but since you brought it up:

Let's say I buy an infrared laser temperature gun, and point it at my tires. What's the acceptable range? I would have no clue.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #44

Name: Del
Trailer: Presidio-Fleetwood
Alberta
ZachO - Sorry did not answer sooner but I am new to this form of communicating.
I did not have any info to go by when I came up with this idea. All I know is thumping tire does not always work and does not troubleshoot a bearing situation. So I know from teaching, destroyers are pressure, dirt, and HEAT. So I came up with a quick and easy to use solution, laser temp gun. On my coach I run the largest tires I can put on my coach, not that I intent to overload it. On my car hauler I run the highest load tire I can also get. Both of these are done for safety. What I did was repacked the bearings on my trailer, the coach only had 25,000 miles on it. This was my starting point, drove for 60 miles, recorded all temperatures. Drove another 60 recorded again. Tires were slightly higher. Tires - Coach 85-90F degrees(30,000 lbs.), trailer 80-85F degrees(7,000 lbs.). Axles-Coach Front 80-90F, Rear 90F. These can vary with change in outside temperature. The main thing you are going to look for are differences. My trailer tires all read within a very few degrees, all had same pressure. Coach tires are all 110 PSI, this is the cut out on my coach air system compressor which I use to fill them. Low tire is going to produce more heat, when a wheel bearing is starting to go the temperature is going to start climbing. Feeling is different for all of us, the laser gun is consistent. I even found 10-15F difference from side to side when going south in the morning, driver side is hotter(sunny side). The axle temps seemed not to vary as much. Coach axle temp climbed as the day went on, doing 500 miles a day. From memory I believe it climbed to 150F, I run 85W-145W synthetic gear oil so this temp is no problem. As it gets hotter it has additives which tend to thicken it. Biggest use for the gun it to determine differences from normal. After a few time your mind will establish a normal, lights will come on in your head when you see something is different. Be Safe
21AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:42 AM   #45

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by captlou3 View Post
You should never tow at 70 mph. Most states require towing to be at a max of 55?
Not the case at all. Many are the same as the regular speed limit. I have a personal speed limit on highways while towing of 65MPH (unless posted lower). 55MPH you would be a hazard out west. At 65MPH, I get continually passed out west, not so much in the eastern US. I use 81MPH rated trailer tires. Of course, stay in the right lane.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-speed-limits/
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:05 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tire blow out

That’s my experience (and my personal policy) exactly, Bill. And I would says it’s pretty widely practiced by a majority of towed RVs I encounter. There’s the occasional weekend warrior in a hurry, but most are towing at around 65 mph. Semis are going a little faster, typically around 70. Speed limit is 75 on rural interstates in Arizona for all vehicles, including trailers.

California has differentiated speed limits (70/55 on rural interstates). Semis are usually going around 65 (when not restricted by traffic congestion). I blend in with the trucks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tire Pressure Sensors

When towing we always have tire pressure sensors on the trailer. Last year we purchased a set of four sensors for our Class C's tow vehicle. They are wireless and report to a dash mounted, solar powered receiver. They provide both temperature and pressure for four tires continuously. The cost is less than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote