tire clearance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler
The leading, outside edge of the driver's side tire is within 1/8" of the fiberglass while empty and stationary. Is this a problem that I should be concerned about? I just had the tires changed out and was told that they were the smallest 13" trailer tires available (175/80/R13).
What's the normal, expected tire clearance?

I don't want the fiberglass to catch on fire or anything from heat buildup due to friction if it starts rubbing. Will the tires expand when they warm up?

Is there a simple fix for this or do I need to find smaller tires? What about raising the axle or something similarly difficult?

Apologies for all the newb-ish questions but this is all new to me and I want to avoid any unnecessary problems!

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00664.JPG  
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
it might be due to a failed axle, if it has lost it's torsion, it could be sitting in the wrong place.
with that little clearance I don't think I'd risk a very long trip

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If that's the original axle, it's time for a change. Your trailer is 33 years old. Typically torsion axles last 15-20 years. Get brakes too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
If it's not the axle then I would question as to whether the rim has been changed to one with the wrong offset.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Take the tire off and please send pics of the springs and supports and the length of the axle. I also suggest that you find another new small trailer in your area to compair it to.

The springs may be broke or something else. From what I have found, when something like this goes out it is time to replace the axle as other parts will go out soon.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Boler
[at]Joe,
I totally agree, that's why I started looking at it.

[at]James Kent,
I hadn't considered the wheel offset but given then wheel position within the well, I'm not sure that would have made up the difference.

I had a friend come over to look at it and we measured from the hitch to the outer corner of each tire. The driver's side was 1/2" closer indicating (to us) that the axle wasn't on straight. We dropped the axle and elongated the holes by 3/8", re-installed the axle being sure to move it back as much as possible. Using a Vise-Grip to hold things in position we tightened it back up with lock-tite and drilled a third hole and put in a 3/8" bolt to prevent anything from sliding back to the old position.
With both wheels back on the ground I have what appears to be a healthy 1/2" between the front edge of the tire and the fiberglass. Even the measurement from the hitch is dead on at 100"!

I agree that the axle is old and may have lost it's torsion - but I have to save *something* for next year!

-M
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I will have to remember that the axle can move. I did not think of it.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote