Tire life - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Tire life

Hi. My trailer has been sitting for 9 years in the elements cold Winters hot summers. The time has come to move the girl again and I need to ensure it's going to go smoothly. My current tires were new when I last used it 9 years ago. We just took them off and they haven't even lost any air pressure in 9 years they show no signs of wear no cracking no sidewall essentially they look brand new. They don't even need air. I just brought him to the tire shop he thought they look good but he said can't guarantee the rubber hasn't hardened. He said they looked good externally but you never know how the rubber has aged. What's everyone's experience and recommendation on this? Should I get new tires?? These ones seem brand new but it'll be the first time Towing in a long time I don't want any headaches
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Do you feel lucky? Do you?
Old 07-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'd suggest new tires if you are planning to use/tow it. If you are just moving it a short distance from one storage to another, then maybe take a chance.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
Hi. My trailer has been sitting for 9 years in the elements cold Winters hot summers. The time has come to move the girl again and I need to ensure it's going to go smoothly. My current tires were new when I last used it 9 years ago.
How far are you moving it? I'd not go on a trip with it. With tires made in the USA I'd change every five or six years, 3 years on China made tires. Trucks get changed on a regular basis because of wear and there is still tire rubber up and down the interstate. Have you ever tried to go 1 mile with out seeing rubber along the road? (oh, and do not buy boat trailer tires at the local big box store.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote