Tire losing air pressure. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tire losing air pressure.

Well It has basically been in my driveway for a few months now and I noticed that one of my tires on the casita has lost air. Not all the air mind you but enough where you can notice it. I figure if I put air in both tires up to normal PSI and then take it around the block they should be OK.

Do you think this could mean I will have a blowout with this tire come summer and we are traveling?

I have had this happen with tires before and nothing ever happend, I thought I would just see what other people think.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:07 AM   #2

Normal

It's normal for tires to lose a little air pressure ... particularly during an extended cold snap ... which is why it's important to check your tires ... both on your car and on your trailer with seasonal changes.

I remember the day when the guy checked the a/p in my tires every time I got gas. Now, well, let's just say the air pressure doesn't get checked as often as it should!

Steve ... if I were you, I'd hook up, pull it to a gas station, top off the tires, drive around a wee bit, then check the pressure when you get back home ... and again in a week. If you lose pressure during those three measurements, then I'd say you have a slow leak which probably could be fixed.

I don't think I've ever heard of air pressure loss being a precursor to a tire blow out.

However, running on low pressure can build up heat more quickly and cause a tire failure.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:34 AM   #3

Air pressure

I check my tire pressure in the morning before the sun shines on them.

The heat from the sun shining on a tire will raise the pressure due to expansion.

When traveling I check my tires and wheels for heat at almost every stop. If one side of the trailer has been in direct sun for a while that tire and wheel will be warmer.

The tire pressure will fluctuate with the weather. If you aired up your tires on a hot day and checked them again on a cold day the pressure would be lower.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

Tire pressure fluctuation

As already pointed out, weather is a real key in pressure fluctuation (just like on your tow vehicle).

I don't know if this is relavent or not, but want to pass on what I noticed on mine. I put new tires on mine a few months after I got it. It sat for quite a while before I was able to take it out. During that time, I thought that the tires were bad because they wouldn't hold the air. I have an small air pump, so I kept them at 45 psi even though it was sitting. After I started taking it out regularly (even if only for a spin to keep it limber) the tire pressure quit fluctuating so much. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but I just got back from a 1,000 mile jaunt and went from cold to 87* and back and never lost any pressure. I don't know enough to explain it, I just know that once I have kept it moving, I no longer have air pressure problems.

:shg relavent or not? Dunno....just know that is what I experienced.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #5

Charles that was my plan. Of course we are getting belted with a snow storm as we speak and my boss (oops wife) just said we may get a possible 12 inches today and tonight. 12" for hear is A LOT of snow.

Anyway, I have a pump here I can hook up the the car to run. I will be pumping them up and checking them and then take it around the block for a quick run. What the heck it can't hurt any.

Thanks all for the input!