Tire Pressure for Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Tire Pressure for Parkliner

I bought my Parkliner in early 2014, so supposedly tire rub problem was fixed on my build.

I am getting ready for a trip and checked the tire pressure on trailer tires. It was about 32. Tires are the original HiRun ST205/75R14 which has a max load PSI of 50.

The problem is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the wheel well. I'm wondering if the tires were purposely under inflated so they wouldn't rub. There are no rub marks on the tires, but I think if I inflated them to 50 psi, they would rub.

Any other Parkliner owners have this problem? Did Chandler say anything about keeping tire pressure around 30?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I bought my Parkliner in early 2014, so supposedly tire rub problem was fixed on my build.

I am getting ready for a trip and checked the tire pressure on trailer tires. It was about 32. Tires are the original HiRun ST205/75R14 which has a max load PSI of 50.

The problem is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the wheel well. I'm wondering if the tires were purposely under inflated so they wouldn't rub. There are no rub marks on the tires, but I think if I inflated them to 50 psi, they would rub.

Any other Parkliner owners have this problem? Did Chandler say anything about keeping tire pressure around 30?
ParkLiner 34 was one of the units with the tire rub problem and Chandler's first and unsuccessful fix was to replace the original ST205 tires with LT185 radials. They are installed on the original rims. He mailed me new tire size/pressure stickers to apply to the camper which specify an inflation pressure of 60 psi, which is what I maintain. Since I had the wheel wells redone by a local body shop I probably have enough room to go back to the ST205s but the light truck tires are working well for us and run cool so I'm sure I will stick with them. I imagine you will have a heat problem running at 30psi

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
ParkLiner 34 was one of the units with the tire rub problem and Chandler's first and unsuccessful fix was to replace the original ST205 tires with LT185 radials. They are installed on the original rims. He mailed me new tire size/pressure stickers to apply to the camper which specify an inflation pressure of 60 psi, which is what I maintain. Since I had the wheel wells redone by a local body shop I probably have enough room to go back to the ST205s but the light truck tires are working well for us and run cool so I'm sure I will stick with them. I imagine you will have a heat problem running at 30psi
Brian, where is the tire size/pressure sticker located? I don't remember seeing one.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Upstate New York
Quote:
Brian, where is the tire size/pressure sticker located? I don't remember seeing one.
Huck,
On the curb side the sticker is located above the forward side of the tire next to the refrigerator access panel. On the street side the sticker is located above the rear side of the tire next to the electrical cord access door.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Huck,
On the curb side the sticker is located above the forward side of the tire next to the refrigerator access panel. On the street side the sticker is located above the rear side of the tire next to the electrical cord access door.
I looked earlier today. No tire stickers.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Upstate New York
Quote:
I looked earlier today. No tire stickers.
Chandler was not exactly a detail guy. I guess that's why we are owners of rare and limited editions.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Huck,
No stickers on our ParkLiner either and I know when we picked it up from Chandler l believe the tires were at about 50 psi.
Btw I too was a bit concerned about the amount of clearance in the wheel wells. I knew we had enough clearance for now but wanted to be sure we had enough for down the road when things wear and sag. Chandler let me pick the local shop for the inspection and also paid for the labor.
The shop checked clearance, alignment, and a few other items (can't recall w/o the invoice). They gave it a clean bill of health and even commented that it was one of the better quality trailers that they have had in in quite some time!
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Mine is beside the VIN on the driver's side front body next to the a frame. 50 psi.

Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererlee View Post
Mine is beside the VIN on the driver's side front body next to the a frame. 50 psi.
Lee
I found mine. Just barely above the battery box. I had to get on my hands and knees, put my glasses on, and shine a flash light on it before I could read it.

It does say 50 psi, so I will add some air and see if I still have enough wheel clearance.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Greetings Huck,
As noted by Brian one of Candler's "fixes" involved going to the LT185 tires.
At some point in your rig's future I highly recommend going that route.
On PL #35 the difference in ride/tow is noticeable. Waaay nicer than the original bias ply. We run 60psi in the LT185s.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A ST205-75-14 tire inflated to 50 PSI (maximum for this size) has a weight carrying capacity of 1760 pounds. The same tire, inflated to 30 PSI has a weight carrying capacity of only 1300 pounds. When I was running this size tire on my trailer I always inflated them to 50 PSI. If your trailer weighs 2600 pounds or less you would be OK at 30 PSI....but..I would try running at 50 PSI if at all possible. I think increasing tire pressure from 30 to 50 PSI would have a minimal effect on size increase but the only way to know for sure would be to try and test the clearance difference.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The 185R14LT is the same size used on Toyota Mini-motorhomes and some VW busses and Volvo station wagons, and it's profile is definitely narrower than the 205/75R14 versions.

In fact, if you mount the 205/75R14 size on dual mounts, they can made sidewall contact, where as the 185R14 has about a 1" of clearance. If there was a question, the 185R14, load range "C" or "D" will help. Yokohama makes a very nice version in the 360 LT series and there are also some trailer service versions out there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

Astoria Oregon
Registry
As an FYI...Just checked the LT185s on PL #35...
Load range D / 1875lbs @ 65psi

Last trip to the scales heading out for a 5 day adventure with full fresh tank (15 gal) and all the trimmings... 2,350lbs
Old 10-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
As an FYI...Just checked the LT185s on PL #35...
Load range D / 1875lbs @ 65psi

Last trip to the scales heading out for a 5 day adventure with full fresh tank (15 gal) and all the trimmings... 2,350lbs
There is also a "C" load range available if that has enough capacity

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #15

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Parkliner tire pressure

Tire pressure info was included on a label located on the lower right front above the battery box - see pic. 50 psi recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Pressure.jpg  
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevind View Post
Tire pressure info was included on a label located on the lower right front above the battery box - see pic. 50 psi recommended.
Keep in mind that any labels regarding recommended tire psi put on the trailer are only good info if the tires that are on the trailer are the same ones the trailer manufacture used.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind that any labels regarding recommended tire psi...
Yuppers. And as noted, several of us now have non-stock LT Radials (a serious upgrade from the bias ply IMO). So no sticker match for us on PL#35. Chandler never got around to mailing us a new one before closing up shop. But it's no real bother as the max weight is clearly labeled on the tires.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #18

Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Yuppers. And as noted, several of us now have non-stock LT Radials (a serious upgrade from the bias ply IMO). So no sticker match for us on PL#35. Chandler never got around to mailing us a new one before closing up shop. But it's no real bother as the max weight is clearly labeled on the tires.
Per my post #2 on this thread, here is a photo of the tire pressure sticker (s) that Chandler mailed to me to replace the originals on PL34.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Press Label.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	89980

It would have been nice if this had solved the tire rub issue but I ended up with the best possible outcome. Better tires and resculpted wheel wells

Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #19

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
...Better tires and resculpted wheel wells
DITTO for #35.
Night and Day diff in tow over highway with new rubber,
and with the increased clearance being able to keep the street-retro low ride look Chandler had designed into the PL
Old 10-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #20

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
So with the Parkliner, were both new tires AND reworked wheel wells required to resolve (tire rub?) issues or would replacement tires by themselves be sufficient?
biker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner