Tire pressure indicator valves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm looking at this kind for the trailer

http://store.vehiclelight.com/airalert.html

but also wonder about the car ones (you can get a set of four pre-set for a given pressure for cars for about $10.)

Does anyone use them? Do they work?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Anything that screws on the end of the valve stem is likely to cause a leak. What happens is they leak and indicate that the tire is low you're fooled into thinking they're doing something positive when they're the cause of the leak.

Brief explanation:

The tire valve (Shrader valve) is designed such that the higher the pressure the tighter the seal. When you screw one of these things on the end of valve stem the Shrader valve is released. Then you no longer have the greater the pressure the better the seal. You have the greater the pressure the more likely the seal is to fail. The air pressure attempts to blow the seal apart. Not a good thing.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I believe this product has 13 reviews on Amazon_review and it is not very positive. I had once a plastic mechanical device and it broke while driving my motorcycle. I believe that the concept is great but reliability is an issue.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's really too bad, but I don't think they're reliable. If they break... is it when they're displaying red or yellow. Or Gad... when they're green. A person might end up with a false sense of security and a very flat tire.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks, everyone, especially Byron for the explanation.

I was thinking about it earlier and thought that what would be nice is a cap that allowed you to fit on a gauge and read the pressure without unscrewing it- but didn't actually release the pressure like these did. (Sort of a snap-lock gauge.)

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Anything that screws on the end of the valve stem is likely to cause a leak. What happens is they leak and indicate that the tire is low you're fooled into thinking they're doing something positive when they're the cause of the leak.

Brief explanation:

The tire valve (Shrader valve) is designed such that the higher the pressure the tighter the seal. When you screw one of these things on the end of valve stem the Shrader valve is released. Then you no longer have the greater the pressure the better the seal. You have the greater the pressure the more likely the seal is to fail. The air pressure attempts to blow the seal apart. Not a good thing.
I agree plus Schrader valve is a 118 years old design. It is likely one of the most reliable automotive part and routinely changed during mounting of new tires. The pressure sensors mounted inside the tire on the rim will bypass this potential leak issue but these wireless systems are expensive.

George.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have used them for years on 3 vehicles and have found that they seal and do not leak. I have the ones that have the tire pressure on the top and they change from green to yellow to red if the pressure gets low and guess what, they are not changing. Due to the same post last year stating that they leak, I checked the pressure with a professional gage and found that the caps were correct.

I purchased mine from www.jcw.com and I saw them at WalMart.

Should you see them at WalMartt, look on the package to see if there is a statement concerning DOT approval.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #8

Darwin,

You likely use these Pressure Caps http://www.accu-pressure.com/ sold by JC Whitney. They are not DOT approved. Accu-pressure Co. claims that high cost is preventing them to get the approval. My experience with a different brand (plastic body) was not just a leak but complete loss of pressure. The top of the cap broke off while riding my road bike in the boonies with no cell phone coverage. Fortunately it was my rear tire. Accu-pressure is using metal body which could be more robust.

George.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
George, Actually I have 2 kinds of caps. The one’s with the pressure written on them and the other kind that adjusts to the pressure once installed and I have not had an air leak problem with either kind.

It could be that ridding in the boonies on your bike put to much strain on the cap where standard driving while pulling a camper would never go to that extreme.

It was stated in this thread that they loose air pressure and I have not found that to be a fact whereas you had a total catastrophic failure due to extreme use and that is a different issue. After reading of your problem, I too would not put them on a motorcycle or ATV.

One of the 2 manufactures at JCW.com state that should the top of their cap break off there will not be any loss of pressure however I do not remember which one stated that. It can be found out by going to the following link and researching the 2 brands on their respective home sites

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Tire-Valves-Stems...in_dim_search=1

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello all...

The pressure indicating valve caps which have a stated pressure or metal cap bodies may be the problem.

The Kleen-Wheels TireCheck brand, with nylon cap body, will not come loose and leak which is typically caused by temperature differentials between Shrader valve stem metal and the metal of the cap body.

Select and test TireCheck.

Stephen Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: Helite
Quote:
It's good to see that in todays spaaceage that technology has been able to develop a "CAP" that will screw on and keep the tire from leaking. Yes They Work so go forth and do something that makes your life safer.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I have used them for years on 3 vehicles and have found that they seal and do not leak. I have the ones that have the tire pressure on the top and they change from green to yellow to red if the pressure gets low and guess what, they are not changing. Due to the same post last year stating that they leak, I checked the pressure with a professional gage and found that the caps were correct.

I purchased mine from www.jcw.com and I saw them at WalMart.

Should you see them at WalMartt, look on the package to see if there is a statement concerning DOT approval.
I also use these Wal-Mart ones on two vehicles,with no regrets. If I knew where to find ones with 55 or 60 psi for my Casita & Kumho tiresI might buy them for it but I have metal stems and it just might stick out too far. I am a satisfied user. It is much easier to glance at the stem than to unscrew the cap and test with the gauge.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote