Tire Size for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Can someone please tell me what the recommended tire size is for a 1974 Trillium 13' trailer?

i am getting ready to pull the trigger on some new rubber and need to start looking around. the tires on our trailer are mismatched, and I want to get it as close to spec as I can.

thanks in advance.

Barry
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Barry, not sure which is the correct size but our Trillium had 155/80R13 car tires on it when we purchased it and I was going to update to 14" when I got back from Fla. Unfortunately, these tires were in a lot worse shape than I realize and had one blow out on the Interstate. We eventually ended up with a pair of ST175/80R13 trailer tires on it. Looks better, sits better and even towed better on the washboard sections of the highway. I was very happy with them on the rest of the trip. They are a TOWMASTER brand and we paid $46. ea for them at a Coastal Car Centre in Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails
ZHills_2009_026A.jpg   ZHills_2009_021A.jpg  

ZHills_2009_027A.jpg  
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I copied this from Trilliumrv.com website

Tires
Trilliums were originally supplied with B78 x 13 tires; early 1300's had A78 x 13. Today, this translates to an ST 175/80 x 13, (ST 175/80R x 13, for radials). The recommended minimum load capacity: Model 1300: 1100 lbs; Model 4500: 1350 lbs. (Each Tire). Set inflation pressure to the maximum as stated on the tire sidewall, and check regularly. Most tire failures are the result of underinflation and/or overloading.ST tires are manufactured differently for the trailer industry. They will give better performance, last longer, and don't have to be de-rated. Even though trailers in the 70's & 80's were supplied originally with P (passenger) tires, it is recommended that ST tires be used as a replacement today.

Original Site Link
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Don,

I'm sorry to hear about your blow-out, but it looks as though you got the exact right size tire, even in the midst of a mid-trip problem

I don't mean to make you re-live the incident, and I know they wouldn't all be the same, but would you mind sharing what it was like to experience this? What the trailer did when it happened, how you managed to control the trailer afterward, etc.

I think it could be a helpful read, if you don't mind telling a bit more about it.

I had my first (and hopefully only) blowout ever just a couple of months ago, but as it was a rear tire on my car, and I was going about 25 mph, it was mostly a non-event (of course it was dark, cold, rainy night, but still no great hardship).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I blew a tire on my Scamp 13' and almost didn't know it -- Doing about 45 mph on a paved back road in Colorado -- I heard a pop, felt a lurch and then heard the sound of the tire flapping on the road -- Looked in rearview and could see trailer was not level -- Conveniently, there was an open, graveled space on the side of the road right after that so I just pulled over and put on spare.

Have had leaf springs break twice on my Jayco 16', pretty similar happening except that I had to put a piece of iron pipe in to hold the spring up instead of changing a tire and the tire/wheel well was smoking when I stopped because they were rubbing.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

No problem Raya. Pretty much like Peters blowout was. Didn't affect the tow vehicle at all. Heard a bit of a pop and then the tire flapping. Seeing as how we were doing about 60 MPH on I-95 and getting dark, I didn't want to pull off there to change it. Fortunately, we were less than a 1/4 mile from an off ramp so we just pulled over to the shoulder and slowed right down . Must have been something on the road as another SUV followed us onto the off ramp with a flat on the same side as ours. We drove around the corner and onto a lighted gas station lot. I knew my spare was not in good shape but at least it held air. I just brought up shopping on my GPS, punched in WalMart and were directed along a side road for about 10 miles. Got there about 8 on a Sunday night but their service dept had already closed. Seeing as it was a 24 hour store, we just set up camp in the far corner of their parking lot and then chased our tires down on Monday morning. Like I stated previously, I couldn't believe the difference in towing with the new tires. Not sure if it is because they are a little larger or that they are actually a trailer tire but they work excellent on there.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If the old ones were P-radials, and the new ones ST, you will feel a difference.

Sometimes the P-radials, with their extra flex and lack of sidewall resistance (to have less rolling resistance and get better mileage) will allow the trailer to have a lot of side-to-side wallow, although at least one person on the forum has and likes them.

In ignorance, I put P-radials on my old Jayco 16' and it was an uncomfortable experience -- I didn't go 100 miles before I put new STs on it and moved the P-radials to the back of my truck -- I could even feel the P-radials just by the way the trailer moved, and kept moving, when I just stepped into it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks to both of you for the additional info - good to know

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

I agree with you Pete about the "P" radials verses thew "ST" radial....no comparison in my book. Will always install "ST" on my trailers.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #10

thnaks for the tire info all!

going to see if our local costco can get trailer tires....
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Barry,

I replaced mine last spring. Here is a thread on us discussing various tires:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29678
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi Barry,

I replaced mine last spring. Here is a thread on us discussing various tires: