Tire temp and pressure Monitoring System - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Tire temp and pressure Monitoring System

Does anyone use a wireless tire temp and pressure monitoring system on their tow trailer? I have a 13' Scamp and if I could monitor the temp and pressure of the TT tires, it would relieve my anxiety about having a blowout while towing.
I have been looking at systems on Amazon but cannot find a system that is recommended for use with a camper. Any suggestions?

Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-84348.html

In case it is not clear, the above is a link.
And it is not the only time the topic has been discussed so further searching might be worthwhile.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

Alabama
Thank you Gordon!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi Vicki,

I have a 2018 Scamp that I had those same thoughts as well and decided to do something about it. After I had pick up my new Scamp 13 at the factory I found myself traveling through the Midwest on Interstate highways that had higher speed limits than here in the Northeast. As such I found at times I was traveling at close to those posted speeds.

It wasn't until I got back home after some 7K miles of travel that started to read stores about travel trailer tire blowouts. I found that the standard tires on the Scamp 13 were rated at a max of 65mph. That was a bit uncomfortable to me knowing that at times I might be traveling at close to those maximum speeds.

I decided to do some searching on the web about travel trailer tires and decided to replace my tires with Carlisle ST17580R13 tires. They still have a maximum inflation of 50psi but have a top maximum speed of 81mph. I now feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I can travel at 65+ at times when necessary and know I am not on the edge of my tires max speed.

I know that I might get some flax here for stating I might run at the 65+ speed but at times it may be necessary. Given the choice, I prefer the higher rated tires over the monitoring system. I am not saying that the monitoring system should not be purchased, but if you run over something that cuts a tire on your Scamp13 you will most likely feel the problem before it registers on the monitor.

Knowing how to handle the Scamp blowout, by staying off the brakes and maintain your speed until you can bring the Scamp under control is most important. Then pull off the roadway where possible. Above all, don't panic.

As a routine I check my tires when cold before we leave and whenever we stop to see if any one tire is warmer or hotter that the others. Get yourself a good tire pressure gauge and know how to use it.
Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
We are now firm believers in Tire Minder. We bought it this year just prior to a trip to Kentucky (from Florida) and it's alarm went off on our return trip!! We couldn't tell at all that it was low or even when it was almost flat! The alarm allowed us an opportunity to pull into the rest area (perfect timing!). By the time we parked it was absolutely flat. We have it on our 19' Scamp camper and it more than paid for itself this one trip!! (For the two wheels it was about $130 - 2 sensors, not over 70# pressure.) We would highly recommend it! ALSO - WORD TO THE WISE - BE AWARE OF THE DATE CODE ON YOUR TIRES - VERY IMPORTANT!
Don Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I had a blowout on my Casita while traveling out west. I heard it, then saw bits of the shredded tire flying off in the rear view mirror. Trailer barely even quivered. It took me about 1/2 mile before I understood what happened and pulled to the side of the road. I was doing 60 mph at the time. I did have a WDH. My TV is a 2011 Tundra 4x4 5.7L engine with tow package. The wheel was scarred; although the tire service man said it probably would hold air, I bought a new wheel and tire when we got home. I changed it myself: As important as s TPMS is, it is just as important to have a jack that will fit and lift under the axle. The scissor jack I have needed to be totally flat in order to slip under the Casita axle to raise the wheel off the ground. I learned that scissor jacks cannot be opened from a completely flat position when lifting weight. So now I carry a small hydraulic jack as well as a scissor jack.

I now own a 25R Big Foot. Probably ran for 25 miles before I pulled in to a gas station and noticed I had a completely demolished flat tire. The trailer never quivered and my mirror did not catch the lower part of the trailer on the passenger side, so I did not see any debris flying. Had I caught it right away I may have saved myself the cost of the new tire...Nah...I still would have bought a new tire to replace it. But I think a TPMS is a good idea. At least the wheel was not damaged.

I suggest a Truck Systems Technology TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
... and decided to replace my tires with Carlisle ST17580R13 tires. ...

... I am not saying that the monitoring system should not be purchased, but if you run over something that cuts a tire on your Scamp13 you will most likely feel the problem before it registers on the monitor.

Knowing how to handle the Scamp blowout, by staying off the brakes and maintain your speed until you can bring the Scamp under control is most important. Then pull off the roadway where possible. Above all, don't panic.

I bought Carlisle tires also AND the TPMS also.

If you read the entire thread I posted then you see that I did have a tire failure with the cheaper wires which basically started to disintegrate at 65 mph. However I did not feel anything before the TMPS alarmed for low pressure. And I have read too many accounts of people having trailer tire failures and not even knowing it for some distance. Tires don't usually blow out with a loud bang when they fail anyway.

The issue with the fiberglass trailers is that a tire coming apart can (and often does) tear big holes in the wheel well and lower body, often cuttings propane lines, plumbing and electrical wiring.

So even if I assume I will feel it when the trailer tire fails, and even if I know I can stay off the brakes, slow down, and find a place to pull over without panicking, by then the damage maybe done.

My TPMS alarmed before the tire started throwing off chunks of rubber and gave me time to get stopped before any damage to the camper was done. I will not leave home without it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I learned that scissor jacks cannot be opened from a completely flat position when lifting weight. So now I carry a small hydraulic jack as well as a scissor jack.
Sometimes you can run a wheel up on leveling blocks to get a jack under the frame.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Sometimes you can run a wheel up on leveling blocks to get a jack under the frame.
It is a real problem on a single axle like the Casita, especially exaggerated because I was on slopping, soft ground. Not much of a problem with a tandem trailer: I first used a small hydraulic, then the scissor jack. Worked well...but then I was on a paved parking lot.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
It is a real problem on a single axle like the Casita, especially exaggerated because I was on slopping, soft ground. Not much of a problem with a tandem trailer: I first used a small hydraulic, then the scissor jack. Worked well...but then I was on a paved parking lot.
I'm actually suggesting running the flat tire up onto the blocks, so this could work for a single or double axle. And, yeah, slopes and soft ground and traffic and weather and all the other 'real world' issues can make it even more challenging.

Additional to jacks and a collection of scrap 2x lumber, I carry a 1/2" breaker bar with a three-inch extension and sockets to fit both the trailer and the tow vehicle lug nuts, three reflective hazard triangles, orange rain gear, a yellow safety vest, a 12V air compressor, multiple flashlights, and a couple of pieces closed-cell carpet padding to kneel or lay on. We also use a tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer tires, additional to the one in the tow vehicle. These and other items not mentioned show why my dear wife completely supported getting the front storage box on the Escape.

Also, I think we also carry a little bit of camping gear somewhere too..

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

Alabama
Thank you Jack, especially for sending the tire model number!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #12

Alabama
Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your experience and advice with me. I appreciate it!