Title and registration - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #1

Name: Ricky
Trailer: scamp
Nebraska
Title and registration

I don’t know where to ask this but I would like to know do scamp trailers have titles, I bought a scamp from an elderly friend and he claims there was no title, this seems not right to me, any info is appreciated
Ricky J Fetrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Title and registration

States issue titles, and rules vary. Most do issues titles for small travel trailers, but a few don’t. Check the owner’s state motor vehicle website.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
It appears that you will be required to title the trailer but not to register it.
See Chapter 3 – Trailers – 3-1 (page 112):
https://dmv.nebraska.gov/sites/dmv.n.../RegManual.pdf

So if the trailer was owned in Nebraska then it probably had a title or was in violation. However perhaps it was from a state that did not require or offer titles for the trailer. I would think that with proper paperwork, bill of sale, etc. you would be able to get a title but you would have talk with your DMV office about that. You might need to get a bonded title. It is all spelled out in the Titling Manual but its 271 pages so talking with DMV might be better.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #4

Name: Ricky
Trailer: scamp
Nebraska
Ok, thanks guys, I already knew what the answer would be...”go ask the DMV”....it was a stupid question, what do you know, there are stupid questions
Ricky J Fetrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:53 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Title and registration

Since NE has titles, then your friend possibly had one at one time. Replacing a lost title is easy in most states, but he has to be there. Perhaps you could offer to take him there. You’ll need the VIN, which is usually on the tongue somewhere.

I had to work gently with my mother when she wanted to gift us her van camper a few years ago. She insisted she never had a title, but of course at 92 her memory wasn’t what it once was.

If your friend acquired it from someone else and never titled it, then it’s going to get more complicated (and expensive), as Gordon says, possibly requiring a bonded title.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky J Fetrow View Post
I don’t know where to ask this but I would like to know do scamp trailers have titles, I bought a scamp from an elderly friend and he claims there was no title, this seems not right to me, any info is appreciated

I hope you at least got a "bill of sale" from your friend. I wish you well in resolving this and now in particular as we all meet the challenges being set before us.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, title