Title or no title ? Safe.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
Title or no title ? Safe..

I Have this question that I need to ask all friend that are "hunting" for the "Right" Fiber "egg". I have run into this camper that the owner want to sell it to me, but He said that he don't have the "Title" to it . This is one of the big concern that I need to ask anyone have any experience or advice to buying a "NO TITLE" camper. I have run into this problem couple of time. Is it "save" to buy without a "Title" ? I know that the owner want to sell the camper, but they don't have the "title". Any comment or advice will be appreciate. Thank you.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Some states do not issue a title for small trailers, and just use the “Bill Of Sale” to get it registered for plates. Some states can issue a “Lost Title” application that will eventually get a title issued to it, if it has not been reported stollen or shown to be titled to someone. You’ll have to check with your DMV for their rules/regulations. Good luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
Titile

Thank you Mr.Dave, for the information. The things about a "No Titile" sale is can this camper be a "stolen or savage" camper issue. That another concern that make me think twice before buying it. I guess, I just keep on "Hunting".Thank you.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
i wouldn't buy any rv without a clear title. it may be stolen, flooded, wrecked, salvaged etc. additionally, i don't know that i'll always live in my current state, and i may want to register it in another state that requires a clear title at some point in the future. imho, it's not worth it to buy a trailer without a title........
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
If you can find a VIN number on the trailer it probably had a title at one time.
If it has a number take it to the state police and ask them to run it, they would have to inspect the trailer before a new title is issued anyway. Ask them or the DMV if the title can be replaced
If it is a slide in truck camper, they don't have titles.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've had a couple of trailers with VIN numbers but no titles. SC did not require titles or license plates on trailers either.

Anything can be stolen, both with and without a title. If you live in a title state like NC, then you will need a title for any trailer.

Concerned about a trailer without a title? Then keep looking and only consider trailers that have titles. Since you live in NC, you will need to get a title regardless, so starting with a trailer that already has a title is less work.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You probably don't want to buy a trailer, go to DMV to get title and discover it is stolen and you're not getting title, trailer or your money back.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I bought my trailer in Conneticut where a title isn't necessary. The state of NH where I live also doesn't require a title (they won't even give you one if you're willing to pay). I had the owner give the VIN number to me and I had it checked. When I went down to see it, I verified what he gave to me was the same VIN I had checked out. I also verified the VIN on the old registration was the same as well. Not fool-proof but it was all I could do.

On a different note, when you do go to look at a trailer you think you will want be prepared to make a deal while you are there. Also have patience, you may have to do multiple trips before you find one. If you find yourself ignoring something that would bug you later, take a deep breath and walk away. I made several trips of up to 4 hours before finding one in an acceptable shape for the price I was willing to pay.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Registering without a title in a title state is not a problem if it is coming from a non-title state. They know those things. A clerk might not, but a supervisor will sort it out. At the least it requires a bill of sale, possibly notarized. If you're buying out of state, learn the titling requirements of that state, and as said, check with the motor vehicle department in the state where it will be registered for documentation requirements.

Buying from a title-optional state, I'd insist the seller obtain one if you are taking the trailer to a title state. An uncooperative seller is a reason to pass.

Now buying a trailer without a title in a title state- that's a problem. Not insurmountable- most states have provision for some kind of bonded title, but it comes with time, trouble, and expense. It would have to be a very good deal and require some cooperation from the seller. I can see situations where it might be reasonable to attempt- a barn find last owned by a long deceased relative or something like that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Jon is correct with the good information he provided above.

Get the VIN number of the trailer and call the state DMV or local Police department and see if there is a "Stolen" on the trailer. This is EASY to do!

The No Title issue is a bigger problem with a late model trailer than an older vintage trailer. Many vintage trailer may have never had a title! As outlined above some states to not require a trailer title for trailer registration. Most do and therefore you can rest assured that most any late model camper trailer had a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) when shipped from the manufacturer and a title was probably issued to the first retail purchaser of that trailer so ask the question. Where is the title to that trailer?

The BIG problem in today's world with the No Title situation is that the title is generally NOT LOST it is PAWNED at the local title pawn loan company. The seller owes money on the trailer that's why they do not have a negotiable title! Of course that trailer seller is committing FRAUD by selling that trailer. If this is the case they are selling "Mortgaged Property" which is a Felony in many States.

Many times the Title Pawn company will not record their lien on the trailer with the DMV. That trailer may not be stolen HOWEVER it may have an Un-Recorded lien against the title. This happens ALL THE TIME with vehicles. You see a seller selling a vehicle with No Title and I guaranty you that the title is with some title pawn/loan company! Challenge the seller of a No Title trailer and ask which loan company did they pawn the trailer title to!

All of the States in our Union have a process to deal with a "Lost Title", No title situation or a title lien problem. In some States that process is very easy (Tennessee). In other states it's a real bitch. Know YOUR state registration laws concerning licensing and registering a trailer from an in-state or out of state purchase without the proper paperwork. Not comfortable with the paperwork situation and your ability to "Take Care" of the paperwork issue. WALK AWAY from that trailer purchase!

Personally I have purchased a lot of Vintage Trailers with No Title. Many times with no old or current registration with the person selling that trailer maybe or maybe not have a Bill of Sale where they purchased the trailer. It's all about FIRST making sure the trailer is not a "REPORTED STOLEN" trailer BEFORE you hand over money for the purchase and knowing the legal process for title and registration for that particular trailer in your State of Residence. I then proceed with the process and get a negotiable title in my name.

The No Title situation when looking at a trailer is a REAL BIG negotiating point for you with the seller which generally results in a GREAT DEAL for you the buyer. Just remember to be willing to walk away if there is anything YOU the buyer do not like about "The Deal"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Some older trailers, like our 1973 Amerigo, don't have VIN #s. So if you cannot find one, that may be the case.

OR they could have filed it off and used the trailer as a meth lab. I know, I've seen Breaking Bad. Twice. Ended the same both times.

Happy New Year!

Kathleen & Paul

& Cinder(ella)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's a good point, Kai. Obviously if it's a newer trailer (like perhaps 30 years or newer- not sure exactly when VINs became mandatory, but it's been a while) and there's no VIN, something's going on and it's time to move on.

But a vintage trailer with neither VIN nor title... Current or expired registration in the seller's name, perhaps? Check with local law enforcement using make & model and/or physical description? I'm thinking if a seller is legit, they won't mind the scrutiny, and if not, you'll never hear from them again.

That's a "what-if" I can't ever imagine personally dealing with.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The 17 digit VIN number system became mandatory in 1981.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I ran across the same thing when I was shopping. A VA state trooper I talked to said no title usually means it’s hot. If you were to buy it & park it permanently like at a trailer park, you might be ok. But if you got pulled over at any time moving it, they would see that it was stolen & take your trailer. your money and trailer are both gone.
He suggested offering to pay the seller the DMV fees to get it retitled. If they truly lost the title, they’ll do it, knowing they got a buyer waiting. Even if you don’t buy it, they’ll be ready for the next buyer. If they balk, RUN!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 2010 Trillium came with a certificate of origin. When I went to the Vermont DMV they took the certificate and gave me a registration and a photocopy of the certificate. No title. Vermont does not title trailers that weight less than 1500 lbs.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
My 2010 Trillium came with a certificate of origin. When I went to the Vermont DMV they took the certificate and gave me a registration and a photocopy of the certificate. No title. Vermont does not title trailers that weight less than 1500 lbs.
So... if OP buys your 2010 Trillium with Vermont license plates he is OK and can get it titled in North Carolina. He WILL have to get a NC title or park it at home forever and always. Its a lot easier to title it in NC with an existing title so even if fully legit, I personally would require a title as a condition of purchase, regardless of the state of origin. But if its a good deal and your can satisfy yourself that its legal and can be title in North Carolina then that is an option. In that case I would get a copy of all paper work and visit a NC DMV tag office, show it to them and see if that (the originals of course) will get you a valid title.

PS.. as you know, but maybe not everyone does, the certificate of origin is for new vehicles and trailers ONLY, and normally is required and collected by DMV to get a title.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOY View Post
I Have this question that I need to ask all friend that are "hunting" for the "Right" Fiber "egg". I have run into this camper that the owner want to sell it to me, but He said that he don't have the "Title" to it . This is one of the big concern that I need to ask anyone have any experience or advice to buying a "NO TITLE" camper. I have run into this problem couple of time. Is it "save" to buy without a "Title" ? I know that the owner want to sell the camper, but they don't have the "title". Any comment or advice will be appreciate. Thank you.
:I changed my mind.\
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
So... if OP buys your 2010 Trillium with Vermont license plates he is OK and can get it titled in North Carolina.
That's not what I said. I was simply pointing out that Vermont is an example of a state that doesn't title all trailers and having a certificate of origin doesn't get you a title. I have no idea what the NC DMV would do.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's not what I said. I was simply pointing out that Vermont is an example of a state that doesn't title all trailers and having a certificate of origin doesn't get you a title. I have no idea what the NC DMV would do.
North Carolina will issue a title for a trailer that comes from a state where a title is not required, if other required documentation is also supplied. And having a certificate of origin along with a bill of sale will get you a North Carolina title (as I assume most every jurisdiction will). I was not suggesting that you said that.. I said that.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #20
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
North Carolina will issue a title for a trailer that comes from a state where a title is not required, if other required documentation is also supplied. And having a certificate of origin along with a bill of sale will get you a North Carolina title (as I assume most every jurisdiction will). I was not suggesting that you said that.. I said that.
I'm guessing the full faith and credit clause of the constitution applies??? Besides they want the money.

Tags
title