Title or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 04:29 AM   #21

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Purchased titles

I have restored several old (40's-60's ) cars with no titles. Google " buy a title". Costs around $450 for cars and motorcycles. I go thru Georgia but several states do this. Takes about a month and then you need to transfer to your state of residence. Never did a camper but should be same . Or if you have a friend with storage yard or mechacanic or paint shop . Have them put a mechanics lean on it. Takes longer and there are court costs. Again google " mechanics lean" for details of procedure in your state. It is surprising easy on pre 70's vehicles. Did you do a dmv search ? Do they have a old plate. The widow can do title swap ez again some court costs if husbands estate went in her name. I am in FLA and purchase some late model cars and helped with process , even for children of deceased. Folks if you don't have wills in order. Do it now, sorting thru financials is the last thing your love ones need to do while grieving.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
more thinking

I haave a 98 Scamp I had never seen a plate anywhere either. One day for some reason I was changing a propane tank and glanced down and there was the plate right on the frame.

Don't give up looking!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
I have restored several old (40's-60's ) cars with no titles. Google " buy a title". Costs around $450 for cars and motorcycles. I go thru Georgia but several states do this. Takes about a month and then you need to transfer to your state of residence. Never did a camper but should be same . Or if you have a friend with storage yard or mechacanic or paint shop . Have them put a mechanics lean on it. Takes longer and there are court costs. Again google " mechanics lean" for details of procedure in your state. It is surprising easy on pre 70's vehicles. Did you do a dmv search ? Do they have a old plate. The widow can do title swap ez again some court costs if husbands estate went in her name. I am in FLA and purchase some late model cars and helped with process , even for children of deceased. Folks if you don't have wills in order. Do it now, sorting thru financials is the last thing your love ones need to do while grieving.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #23

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Hmmm

Maybe if you are gutting it you could register it as a homebuilt and let them assign what ever is required.
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #24

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Florida:

Go to the local tag office (county tax collector) with a photo of the tag and explain the whole situation and your desired outcome. Typically they will make it very simple for you.

Florida does not issue titles under a certain weight, which you can find out during your visit. Good to know the weight if it is placarded, otherwise take it to a scrap scale and tip the guy for a weight ticket.

Here in Broward County the tag offices have receptionists who are generally quite knowledgeable, and save you a bit if wait. They also will provide you with all the forms, and instructions. Be ready to take notes. Pretty much everything can be done without bringing your neighbor in - there are powers of attorney, transfer papers, bills of sale, etc.

What I did with the last "seller absent" auto purchase was to get all the forms from the receptionist, with required fields highlighted, then search online for the PDFs, type the info into the blanks, and have a good readable copy to turn in. Your handwriting may be better than mine.... :-)
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #25

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroeve View Post
Hi there, My neighbor gave me a love bug that needs a total gut. When her husband passed away she could not fine a title. I know he had this love bug since the 90's . it has an expired plate which can not be found at DMV in Florida. I have the VIN number and it was made in 1973. I also have the plate that was on it but some numbers have faded away. Do I need a title? And if so where and how do I get one. Any information would be great.
How much is this Love bug worth in its condition. Needs total gut fiberglass needs work. its a shell.
Thanks
Yvonne.
Yvonne your best course of action will be to get your neighbor to file for a duplicate title with the DMV. You should go down to the DMV and ask what she needs and cost. Ultimately if you plan on traveling out of state you will need a license plate, so what does Florida require to get that plate. The tricky part is every state is different so you need to find out what your state requires. Example; Alabama doesn't title vehicles that old but has a system for registering and getting plates, and they require all campers to have license plates. Tennessee Doesn't care about age or registration as long as you don't leave the state.

As far as value, I would asses it at about $500 without title, with a title $1500. Of course that's my opinion on value I have two campers right now that are being restored so I view the market as a buys market. Good Luck however it works out for you.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title