Title or not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Yvonne
Trailer: Love Bug
Florida
Title or not

Hi there, My neighbor gave me a love bug that needs a total gut. When her husband passed away she could not fine a title. I know he had this love bug since the 90's . it has an expired plate which can not be found at DMV in Florida. I have the VIN number and it was made in 1973. I also have the plate that was on it but some numbers have faded away. Do I need a title? And if so where and how do I get one. Any information would be great.
How much is this Love bug worth in its condition. Needs total gut fiberglass needs work. its a shell.
Thanks
Yvonne.
Retroeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not much value as you described and less with no title. Head to the nearest DMV/tag office in your state and ask them what to do. Chances are the person that gave it you will have to file for a replacement title. But everything is state controlled.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This is a better question for your local motor vehicle office than an internet forum. Every state has ways to deal with situations like this, but every state is different. The only state that matters is yours.

Assuming Florida is a title-required state, there may be several angles of attack. One is to work with the widow and apply for a duplicate title in her name using the death certificate and estate papers (easy if her name was on the title, harder if not because there may be other heirs with a theoretical claim on the trailer). Then she can transfer it to you. Another is to go through whatever lost title process Florida has, possibly involving a bonded title. A third is to rebuild the frame and register it as a homebuilt.

Again, it depends on the state whether any of these paths exist and how they work.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here in Vermont a trailer less than 1500 lbs can not be titled. You might want to review the state dmv rules. They should be on line. Continuity of ownership is what they require here. I bought new so I had a certificate of origin. When I sell, the registration gets passed on to the new owner.

Good advice from the others on how to proceed. As to whats it worth? There is great demand for molded fiberglass trailers. Even project trailers. Could be a few hundred. Could be a few thousand.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
DMV QUESTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroeve View Post
Hi there, My neighbor gave me a love bug that needs a total gut. When her husband passed away she could not fine a title. I know he had this love bug since the 90's . it has an expired plate which can not be found at DMV in Florida. I have the VIN number and it was made in 1973. I also have the plate that was on it but some numbers have faded away. Do I need a title? Thanks Yvonne.
When you ask DMV,be sure they know that you are asking about an RV some states have one law for trailers and another for Hard sided RVs.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
FL title

Fl. has a lower weight limit for titles on trailers, I think 1K lb EW. These trailers are issued tags and registration cards and they are sold with the registration card and bill of sale.(no title) The love bug could have come from the factory or into the state with a less than 1K lb. paperwork or title. Have DMV check the records of your neighbor and her husband for the trailer. They can issue you a duplicate registration card to your neighbor if the records are found. As Jon stated if the trailer is in the husband's name state probate rules apply. Tags in FL are annual and are renewed on the owners birthday and they mail out tag notices for renewal to the owner. Since the husband has passed his records may be archived by the DMV under his SSN.

Eddie
I brought a<1K lb fiberglass camping trailer into the state with a title. They took my title gave me Fl. tags and registration card and sent me on my way, saving me the $85 title fee.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i for one am thankful

I am thankful for this site although it is dedicated at times to strictly fiberglass rv this man came in with an honest question. He was totally lost I could see that.

Although some of us knew the correct answer he didn't and he got the help he needed. A trailer without a title is a scary thing if it needs to be moved or something else needs to be done with it! Matter of fact I read some things I certainly didn't know!

I have asked and received help several times and although the question may have seems well dumb for the most part I got the help I needed or was pointed to a place to get the help!

As in the case of the DMV sometimes that is a scary place sometimes they lack the patience even to help us out. Now he has the exact answers and help he needs and will move on!

thank you fiberglass rv

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, I think he’s a she, not that it makes a difference when it comes to helping, and a Love Bug is an all-molded fiberglass Boler look-alike.

Returning to the question of value, which will determine whether this trailer is worth pursuing... How about some pictures? Exterior, showing all four sides, and a couple of interior shots toward front and rear (they’re sometimes easier to get through the front and back windows), so we can see what we’re dealing with.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
As stated above, depends on the state. For example Wisconsin won't title trailers below a certain weight, but Minnesota does title any size trailer that you sleep in.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Hi there, My neighbor gave me a love bug that needs a total gut. When her husband passed away she could not fine a title. I know he had this love bug since the 90's . it has an expired plate which can not be found at DMV in Florida. I have the VIN number and it was made in 1973. I also have the plate that was on it but some numbers have faded away. Do I need a title? And if so where and how do I get one. Any information would be great.
How much is this Love bug worth in its condition. Needs total gut fiberglass needs work. its a shell.
Thanks
Yvonne.
I think your neighbor really found someone to take this vehicle off his hands and you were the lucky recipient. Questions like no title was it really his to give away, something to think about. If you can't get a title you really don't own it and spending any money on it would not be advised. There are ways to do a title search, I would start with your states departments on registration, etc. What if it's out of state, then what. Since you think it's a "Love Bug" fill it full of dirt and plant flowers in it, nice yard art.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Name: sharon
Virginia
when i was a looking to buy, there were several available locally without titles. i asked a state trooper about it & he said RUN, don't just walk away from a no-title rig. unless you're going to buy it & park it in the yard as a kid's playhouse, it's not worth the risk. no title often means stolen. and if it comes to the police attention (i.e. you're in an accident while towing it), then the police will seize it & you're out whatever you paid for it.
i know its going to be aggravating & time consuming to deal with DMV and make this right, but in the end i think it will be worth it. you can ask more when selling it and both you & the buyer will be covered with the transaction.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
As stated above, depends on the state. For example Wisconsin won't title trailers below a certain weight, but Minnesota does title any size trailer that you sleep in.
You can register a small TRAILER in Wisconsin but it is not required an RV however is required if hard sided or a rental.

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 9:47 PM
To: DOT DMV BVS Vehicle Questions <vehiclequestions@dot.wi.gov>
Subject: Scamp RV trailer registration

I would like something in writing that says that I do not need to register a Scamp RV trailer in Wisconsin. It is under 3000 lbs.

RE: Scamp RV trailer registration
DOT DMV BVS Vehicle Questions <vehiclequestions@dot.wi.gov>
Today, 8:59 AMYou
Thank you for using the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s website.
If this is a recreational vehicle trailer it needs to be titled and licensed no matter what the weight is.
Per Wisconsin statute 341.05(13m), registration is optional for trailers or camping trailers weighing 3,000 pounds or less when loaded. (This does not apply to recreational vehicle trailers, i.e. hard-sided travel trailers or trailers used for hire or rental.)
The statute states that these vehicles are exempt from registration. However, it is recommended, that a plate be applied for if the trailer is to be operated in another state.
We also recommend that you apply for a Wisconsin title for a trailer of any size so you have a proper ownership document if/when you sell the trailer. By applying for a Wisconsin title you would be eligible for a replacement title if the document is lost, stolen or mutilated. Most trailer manufacturers will not issue a replacement Certificate of Origin after a few years.
Please visit the DMV Online Services page for many self-serve web applications.
If you need to respond to this message, please be sure to leave all previous messages attached by using the "reply" button on your e-mail toolbar. This will provide us with complete information in order to respond to your request. If possible, please provide us with a daytime telephone number so that we may contact you directly if necessary.
Katee RI9
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
You can register a small TRAILER in Wisconsin but it is not required an RV however is required if hard sided or a rental.

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 9:47 PM
To: DOT DMV BVS Vehicle Questions <vehiclequestions@dot.wi.gov>
Subject: Scamp RV trailer registration

I would like something in writing that says that I do not need to register a Scamp RV trailer in Wisconsin. It is under 3000 lbs.

RE: Scamp RV trailer registration
DOT DMV BVS Vehicle Questions <vehiclequestions@dot.wi.gov>
Today, 8:59 AMYou
Thank you for using the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s website.
If this is a recreational vehicle trailer it needs to be titled and licensed no matter what the weight is.
Per Wisconsin statute 341.05(13m), registration is optional for trailers or camping trailers weighing 3,000 pounds or less when loaded. (This does not apply to recreational vehicle trailers, i.e. hard-sided travel trailers or trailers used for hire or rental.)
The statute states that these vehicles are exempt from registration. However, it is recommended, that a plate be applied for if the trailer is to be operated in another state.
We also recommend that you apply for a Wisconsin title for a trailer of any size so you have a proper ownership document if/when you sell the trailer. By applying for a Wisconsin title you would be eligible for a replacement title if the document is lost, stolen or mutilated. Most trailer manufacturers will not issue a replacement Certificate of Origin after a few years.
Please visit the DMV Online Services page for many self-serve web applications.
If you need to respond to this message, please be sure to leave all previous messages attached by using the "reply" button on your e-mail toolbar. This will provide us with complete information in order to respond to your request. If possible, please provide us with a daytime telephone number so that we may contact you directly if necessary.
Katee RI9
Hmmm, well when I went to get a title for a camper I bought in Wisconsin the person behind the counter at the Minnesota DMV looked it up and confirmed it did not need a title in Wisconsin before issuing me one. Maybe they didn't look hard enough.

I no longer have that camper at any rate. Thanks for the correction, good to know.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Thanks
Yvonne.
If you can't find anything on the vehicle you can apply for a title at the DMV under abandoned vehicle. If it is in your possession you can legally get a title. I have no clue what your state charges for this. The DMV is the place to start and don't try to find anything if the VIN doesn't show up anywhere.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
... Since you think it's a "Love Bug" fill it full of dirt and plant flowers in it, nice yard art. trainman
If you can't get it titled, it could make for a nice little fish cabin set on blocks beside a bass pond. Spring must be coming to Alabama. I've found myself thinking a lot about bass fishing lately.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
no titles

well depends, I know a mechanic who pays people for cars no titles on them, the he claims he is working on them of course he isn't but eventually by playing games he owns the vehicle by virtue of storage fees. Another person a woman in our area bought a truck from a guy, he took her cash he claimed he would get her the title soon. The truck didn't even have a gas tank bravely she went to his house and demanded her money back she got it. Local law enforcement laughed at her when she went to them first!

On a trailer if I had good vibes from the person selling it I would buy it. I have never had a trailer checked I have had plenty of checks of cars and trucks!

Be very careful of strangers many stolen nice trailers floating around out there.

If you know the family or friends of the people I would do it in a New York minute but there are limits! Know your risk limits!

bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
when i was a looking to buy, there were several available locally without titles. i asked a state trooper about it & he said RUN, don't just walk away from a no-title rig. unless you're going to buy it & park it in the yard as a kid's playhouse, it's not worth the risk. no title often means stolen. and if it comes to the police attention (i.e. you're in an accident while towing it), then the police will seize it & you're out whatever you paid for it.
i know its going to be aggravating & time consuming to deal with DMV and make this right, but in the end i think it will be worth it. you can ask more when selling it and both you & the buyer will be covered with the transaction.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
You might try your auto insurance company local office, for advice or recommendations.
If you are an AAA member, they definitely can help. I acquired a long not-running sports car, with no pink slip (ownership title), and very little else, other than an old, old registration from another state; AAA had it solved, with the appropriate stack of state forms filled out, in a couple hours.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #18

Name: Yvonne
Trailer: Love Bug
Florida
Thank you all for the help. Lots of great information and a lot to think about.
Yvonne
Retroeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I would first be looking for the registration card in the trailer then get the PO to check her files.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I think one of the keys here is that it is needing a complete gut and rebuild. A good question of your license people is what is required to call it a newly built trailer built by you. If you can do that then there is a way to get a new VIN and start from there with a title and the whole thing. I have friends who have gone this way and it works well. Done according to our laws and titled in our state by someone who lives here there is no problem. They can even sell it to someone out of state or move with no problems. This really only works for trailers and nothing with a motor. But with a trailer this has always been simple.

One possible glitch is if you were want to insure it past liability. Normally the tow vehicle carries the liability, but things can happen and you can find yourself with a problem. And liability is generally pretty easy to get. But if you want more such as collision or comprehensive the underwriter may balk. But here it is not worth enough to insure anyway.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title