To remove or just paint ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Hi All,

we are the proud new owners of a 1973 13' Boler named Corneleus

We are having the great debate as to remove and redo the ensolite or just repaint it. Whomever did the seams has used silicone so we are going to have to remove and repaint for sure, but is it really expensive to replace the ensolite or is there another product that is nicer and cheaper to use? There are parts that are sagging and there are parts that need repaired, so we aren't sure exactly what to do about it. Also, whomever installed it did not follow the contour of the roof and we were hoping to get that extra 2 or so inches that the curve of the roof shows on the top of the trailer. which means the ensolite will need to be stretched.

If we just end up repainting it how do we remove the old paint safely and what kind of paint do we use as well as what to do with the seams once we get the silicone out.

All help is greatly appreciated, we will be restoring it but want to get it at least livable for our first road trip in 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Ursula
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Cadet
My thoughts are not to remove Find away to patch up the area that needs help. Fix your seams with whatever but don't remove that ensolite IT WILL BE A MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT FOR YOU . repaint but don't remove == just my thoughts == JIM
JIM DUNNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Boler
We didn't have the sagging problems but our ensolite was very dirty and gross looking. We cleaned it with bleach and TSP then painted it with a latex paint. We filled some of the thicker seam gaps with silicone then used 3M double sided tape over the seams. Once the sticky tape is painted it stays in place well and looks great.
Naomi P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There is already a good thread discussing this here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, I had seen that post about repair but it doesn't go into the seams too well and it doesn't talk about repainting.

Do I need to strip the existing paint before repainting or do I just paint over the old stuff and the new seams?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I had seen that post about repair but it doesn't go into the seams too well and it doesn't talk about repainting.....
from reading in here I think most paint over. Don't recall any mention of trying to remove old paint but dont quote me on that. There is threads in here on painting the ensolite too though.

Searching is an art form but I bet you can find them. Try following as key words to search by?:

Paint Ensolite
paint Elephant
Painting Ensolite
Painting interior

Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
from reading in here I think most paint over. Don't recall any mention of trying to remove old paint but dont quote me on that. There is threads in here on painting the ensolite too though.

Searching is an art form but I bet you can find them. Try following as key words to search by?:

Paint Ensolite
paint Elephant
Painting Ensolite
Painting interior
It's important to note too advance usage for search says this:

apple banana
Find posts that contain at least one of these words

+apple +juice
Find posts with both words

+apple -juice
Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'

apple*
Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'

"Some Words"
Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

Hope this helps!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #8

Thanks for that Donna,

since there are so many posts and filtering the way you just suggested. Still did not yield what I was looking for. We have decided to redo the seams. fix the sagging ensolite by re-gluing with contact cement (as was suggested on this board)then re-paint everything after a good coat of primer and paint

Tonight we will be gutting the inside to make it easier to paint and rework the seams.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Hi Ursula - welcome to the Boler world. You'll love it.

You should attend the Prairie Egg Gathering July 16 to 19 at Macklin Lake, Sask. You'll get to see lots and lots of bolers and see some of the mods people have done. You can get lots and lots of questions answered and many, many ideas for what you may wish to do while restoring. I'm attaching a link for you.

http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/prairiemeet

Dianne

Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
We have decided to redo the seams. fix the sagging ensolite by re-gluing with contact cement (as was suggested on this board)then re-paint everything after a good coat of primer and paint
Those that have filled the seams have had good results with latex caulking. Do one coat slightly underfilled and let it set, come back the next day and slightly overfill it. A combination of a flexible plastic trowel (like they use for body filler) a spray of soapy water and a sponge roller will pretty much match your ensolite.

Put your seam tape on, trying not to stretch it. Then use the Kilz ultra as a primer. Many have had success with a variety of paints for your final coat.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Thanks Roy, that is exactly what we were looking for
Albert P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #12

what we were looking for as my hubby has already mentioned. Thanks for the invite Dianne. We are going to be camping in Drayton valley that weekend or would have totally considered joining all you eggers with our tent.

So it has been decided that we aren't going to rush our work but get it done properly, which means that Corneleus will have his debut next year.

Well, I am off to finsh ripping out the seams,

Have a great weekend everyone

Tags
paint, painting