To shine up my Burro... And, fix some holes. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Creek
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Texas
To shine up my Burro... And, fix some holes.

My Burro is a little dull looking and has some rust spots. what should I do to shine it up? What products should i use for this? Also, i have a few drill holes around my rear window from a 1/4 drill bit by the previous owner. What is the best way to fill these? (The holes go completely through the body.)
Thanks for your help!
-Creek
Creek Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi Creek
I would fill the holes with an apoxy or fiberglass material otherwise if just using a calk it may give out. Don't use silicone !!
As far as a cleaner I have had good luck with VIM bathroomm cleaner (Green lid) it removes most blk spots but not sure about the rust,
Whatever let us know how you make out.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Conley View Post
My Burro is a little dull looking and has some rust spots. what should I do to shine it up?
3M Restore & Wax using a micro cloth will take the spots off and the dullness. Can be found at most places they sell boat cleaning supplies.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Texas
Thank you, Ron and Carol! I really appreciate your knowledge. (:
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

Registry
To fill small holes look for an Epoxy Marine Putty such as this one It drys white so you should not need to do much than fill the hole with it. I have used it on a few small holes on my trailer and it seems to work well.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #6

Texas
Just bought the Epoxy Marine Putty, Carol. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

Texas
Carol, I used the epoxy marine putty today. It was a little messy... I filled the holes, but had some excess around the hole. Sand it? I do not want to mess up my shell.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #8

Registry
darn! I am not sure what you should do - when I used it I didnt have any excess - wiped over the holes I filled with a wet sponge before it hardened.

Hummm does the manufacture have any directions in that regard? If was going to sand it I would try first using a very fine sandpaper and do it wet..... might need to use a rubbing compound after though to get the scratches off the gelcoat... sorry hope someone else with some experience can advise.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
You can sand of excess marine epoxy but you have to be pretty careful to not damage the surrounding fiberglass. It's better to not have excess to start with by smoothing over the epoxy with a putty knife or your finger slightly wetted with denatured alcohol before the epoxy is set. That gives it a nice smooth finish that doesn't require sanding once set.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I would fill the holes with nuts and bolts and a rubber washer. If I was concerned about appearance I would use a decorative cap like the ones covering the rivets on my Scamp.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13
North Carolina
You might try tapping right up to the edge of the excess with a good tape and then sanding until it is flat. Then remove tape and finish up with a very fin grit.
Brad M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro