Toad camper in Tabor City, NC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Toad camper in Tabor City, NC

Have any of you ever heard of a fiberglass camper called a TOAD - it is made in Tabor City,NC and has 3 models - XL, Tadpole, and Bullfrog. I have exchanged several emails with the owner - but the tone was a bit strange. He did not answer any of my questions except weight and price of the 3 models. I saw one for sale on Craigslist, but have never seen any mention of this brand anywhere else. Right now I am very leery of contacting him again at this point.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
These are not molded fiberglass.

Toad Campers, Camping Trailers Calabash NC

Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like they are running a little late with images of the "New" 2013 models.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Alabama
You are probably correct - I cannot see on his website(s) any information about what it is constructed from - just wording about being light and sturdy (according to him). When I asked about specifics, he responded with an offer to pay me to advise him about what should be put on the website that would interest consumers (that seemed a bit strange to me) and no answer about my product questions. In my first email to him a month ago I had asked if he would be presenting at the Raleigh RV show this weekend and he had said he planned to be there. But I saw no sign of them when we went on Friday. So I wrote to him expressing disappointment at not seeing them (and said we might make an appointment to visit his place soon). He responded that he did not have to belong to the RV Dealers Association and as a manufacturer, he could attend any show in NC. But he did not say any show he would be attending or urge us to come to visit him. I think I will assume this may not be a good direction to go now and focus on a Lil Snoozy.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Just my unbiased opinion - I'd look for a nice used molded fiberglass camper for the same money that you are thinking about spending on this camper.

In 20 years, the molded camper will still be a joy to use, this camper will be a memory.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Alabama
Tom - we agree with you. We found the TOAD on the web when we first started thinking about getting a camper. Then we stumbled over the Lil Snoozy and then found this website - where I have been getting quite an education. The TOAD is very poor compared to the Snoozy (seeing it on the web). It is much cheaper, but that cheapness must come to some degree from being poorer quality. Anyway, we no longer plan to go to Tabor City to see the facility. I was just curious if anyone on this site actually has seen one of these or knows anyone who has one. I guess I was equating "small" with "fiberglass". I have learned better in the last couple of weeks - my head is now full of Casitas, Snoozy, Parkliner, etc. TOAD is gone from the radar.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
......... TOAD is gone from the radar.
Good move, you will be happier with a quality camper and will get your money back if and when you sell it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Looks like they are running a little late with images of the "New" 2013 models.
Look at those tiny windows....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
When I asked about specifics, he responded with an offer to pay me to advise him about what should be put on the website that would interest consumers (that seemed a bit strange to me) and no answer about my product questions.
I've heard of this from overseas businesses who have no idea how to sell in this market. From a local manufacturer, this suggests someone who just has no clue what they're doing in business... not an attractive feature to me.

Just the Features page is fascinating...
  • "2" Hitch Mount Ball" - a ball, not a coupler? where else would you mount a ball"
  • "Insulated frame" - really?
  • "Heavy duty axel with bearing buddies" - can't spell "axle"? boat trailer parts on a travel trailer?
  • "Frigidaire" - not "refrigerator"?
  • "Air condition" - are those extra three letters ("ing") too expensive to put on the web page?

It's not moulded fiberglass, but if it were I wouldn't want to deal with the manufacturer anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Sounds like someone who took an "English as a Second Language" course...not a native to the language.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Toad Trailers does have a listing here:
Toad Trailers LLC in Tabor City, NC - Trailers & Recreational Vehicles, Your Gateway to Local Hispanic Life - YaSabe.com

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote