Today's problem: back to mounting the propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Before I left Washington I tried using two bolts to attach it to the trailer tongue (pre-drilled holes front and back where it clearly rode before. It wiggled too much for me to feel safe, so I carried it in the TV instead.

So now I want to try to get it stabilized. One option is to use the bolts at the base, and then strap it with non-stretchy straps to either side.

Any other ideas? The only single-tank holder I can find mounts on the wall, not on the base, so I have nowhere to mount it unless I wanted to go through the trailer wall (which I don't.)

I could also cut a piece of plywood to fit on the tongue under the tank; that would also probably help minimize rocking side to side.

Or I could cut up this base to fit over the trailer frame, and bolt through it. I'm not sure that would work, though. (I'd still strap it down in either case.)

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=3284

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Has something changed since the last time you started this topic Just asking...
Where do I get a propane tank holder for trailer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Has something changed since the last time you started this topic Just asking...
Where do I get a propane tank holder for trailer?
Nothing has changed, except that I haven't been able to do any of those things- no chance yet for welding, and haven't found anything else to work, and I'm asking about a specific idea. I thought about tacking onto that topic but then people have to read the whole thing to figure out what I'm asking about.

You can move it if you want.

Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #4

No, I was just curious if I had missed something. Did you click on the link I provided with the hold down Joy A created? You could bolt that to a piece of plywood.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
No, I was just curious if I had missed something. Did you click on the link I provided with the hold down Joy A created? You could bolt that to a piece of plywood.
Oh, good idea. I liked hers, but wasn't sure how I'd attach it- but if I can find the parts, attaching it to a plywood base would work. I'm going to browse around the hardware store later this morning and see what I can find. I'm just a little hesitant about road-testing something if no one else has done it.

Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #6

Well, I know Joy successfully made a round trip to Alaska and didn't lose the propane tank on some pretty rough roads... so I'd say that is a good testimonial.

Bobbie, some where on the tongue of your trailer there should be some holes through the frame...for the propane tank that was taken off. You might want to consider running some bolts through the plywood and through those holes. If it works, there's no point in drilling more holes.

For extra tipping security, you could always bolt the Tankfoot to the plywood too. It's certainly cheap enough.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Or I could cut up this base to fit over the trailer frame, and bolt through it. I'm not sure that would work, though. (I'd still strap it down in either case.)

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=3284
I went looking for one of these, for carrying the tank in the van when taking it in to get filled, and couldn't find one... I guess I should try U-Haul. Thanks for the tip

This base is for stabilizing a tank, to keep it from rolling around a car trunk. I agree, you would still need to strap it down... so I don't know how much good it would do. It is intended to just sit on a floor, not perch on a frame, so it might not readily fasten there or carry the weight well if not supported on some sort of platform, such as the plywood Donna suggests. Also, it looks like a bowl; I hope it has effective drain holes, because if it doesn't then when used outside on a trailer it will collect water and cause the tank to rust.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
I hope it has effective drain holes, because if it doesn't then when used outside on a trailer it will collect water and cause the tank to rust.
Good point Brian, I hadn't thought of that I was just thinking about the stability issue on a piece of plywood (along with using the strapping Joy came up with.)
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Maybe this is stupid newbie thinking, but....

Could the rocking be improved by a little traction on the bottom of the tank? A thick rubber floor map with some give to it (so it could grip) might help. It would elevate the tank above puddles and keep the bottom from slipping around.

If you used one of those thick ones they put on garage floors, you could even make a cut out for the bottom...glue it down to your plywood, and presto. You might also find some craft store foam products that would also do this, though I don't know how they would stand up to wear and weather.

Of course, I haven't even picked my trailer up, yet.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Well, I know Joy successfully made a round trip to Alaska and didn't lose the propane tank on some pretty rough roads... so I'd say that is a good testimonial.

Bobbie, some where on the tongue of your trailer there should be some holes through the frame...for the propane tank that was taken off. You might want to consider running some bolts through the plywood and through those holes. If it works, there's no point in drilling more holes.

For extra tipping security, you could always bolt the Tankfoot to the plywood too. It's certainly cheap enough.
There are two holes, one front, one back, that fit the tank, but once I put the plywood on, the holes are too low for the tank. I can cut out a bit of the plywood to make it work to angle an bolt up, maybe. I also got some plumbers tape (metal tape with holes) and bolts to try to rig something, but I haven't figured out how to cut the tape yet.

I did get the right ball mount to level the trailer, though, so I'm happy!

I'm going to try to run by a friend's so he can see the trailer, and maybe he'll have some bright idea on what to do.

Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #11

Registry
We decided the best bet was spare tire on the tongue, propane tank in the spare tire, and strap it all in with two good strong straps (one as backup for the other.) It feels very secure that way, and the spare will still be accessible. Straps will go through the tank so even if it slips its secure.

Also, now that the tongue to TV connection is level, I don't have to unhitch to get into the garage- I could back all the way in. (I still like the wheel jack, though.)

Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #12

Love it when a plan comes together. Sounds like you've solved several of your problems Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Love it when a plan comes together. Sounds like you've solved several of your problems Bobbie
Now I have to go back to the auto parts store and return the ball mount that has too much rise, and buy some tie-downs. And to Harbor Freight to return the spare tire mount that I'm not using. That will make three trips to Harbor Freight and five to auto parts stores (two Pep Boys, three Kragen) in three days.

Oh, I almost forgot to say, when I was working on the trailer in the garage a guy stopped and asked if I wanted to sell it. (Nope, wasn't even tempted.)

And I forgot, while it was out of the garage, to try the Burner nose I got for the gas lamp. (Don't want to burn down the garage so I'm not trying it inside, lol.) If it screws in, I'm sure it will work, though, so I'll just see if it screws in without trying to light it.

Bobbie
Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Now I have to go back to the auto parts store and return the ball mount that has too much rise, and buy some tie-downs. And to Harbor Freight to return the spare tire mount that I'm not using. That will make three trips to Harbor Freight and five to auto parts stores (two Pep Boys, three Kragen) in three days.
That is about par for the course when you are engineering your own solutions. I have [b]NEVER solved a plumbing problem in less than 2 trips to the hardware store. Three trips is average.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Aw gee! How come you guyz need an excuse to go to the hardware store.It's an event in the life of a guy. You just say "I'm going to THE STORE honey." and she'll understand.Right?
Right?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #16

Registry
I forgot the two trips to the hardware store... just got back from the second. (The trip to return what I bought on the first trip.)

Speaking of guys and hardware, did you know you can have a kid's birthday party at Home Depot?

Bobbie

Tags
propane