Toddler Tips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Hi All,

I have a 13' Boler (1975) and my husband & I are planning on taking our little girl camping this summer for the first time. She'll be 15 months when we hit the road and my primary concern is keeping her in bed. I don't want her climbing or falling out. As of today, she's not walking, but she will be by the time we leave at the end of June.

Although I think Ginni's bunk beds are amazing, we don't want to remove our bottom bunk. We don't have a top bunk as it was previously removed, so I have some height available.

I'm thinking of purchasing a tall and wide (20" x 4') bed rail to fit on the bottom bunk and plan on securing it with screws to the fibreglass bunk base so that it can't move. Does anyone forsee any problems with that plan? I'll still have to figure out some way to block the end of the bunk as the bedrail won't be quite long enough to stretch from the counter to the door.

Also, if anyone has any other general tips on camping with a toddler, please pipe up - I'll take all the wisdom that I can get!

Thanks,

Adele

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anais_11_mos.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1880
Adele M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Adele! Welcome to Fiberglass RV!

I think you've got a good idea with the bed rail. Rather than permanently mounting it, and then having to deal with the holes later, I'd probably cut a piece of plywood to match the front bunk configuration, and then mount the rail to the plywood, set the whole thing in place, and then put the cushion over it. The weight of the plywood and your baby ought to keep the whole thing in place while in use.

Then, when you don't need it any more, it can just be pulled out and there's no holes to fill.

Camping with little ones can be challenging, and of course takes constant vigilance. I started both of my youngest camping when each was about month old. They both grew up doing it. It requires constant vigilance once they become toddlers, but the joy of discovery on their faces as they grow is priceless.

Have a ball and enjoy it all!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Rather than permanently mounting it, and then having to deal with the holes later, I'd probably cut a piece of plywood to match the front bunk configuration, and then mount the rail to the plywood, set the whole thing in place, and then put the cushion over it. The weight of the plywood and your baby ought to keep the whole thing in place while in use.

Then, when you don't need it any more, it can just be pulled out and there's no holes to fill.
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the kind welcome and good advice.

My only concern with mounting the bedrail to a piece of plywood is being able to access the under seat storage compartments easily. With the rail mounted directly to the fibreglass, I'd be able to lift up the cushion to access the compartments. But I do see your point about having no holes to fill afterwards. Hrrrrmmmm....I'll have to weigh the options when I do my spring re-organization in the trailer and once I know what's going to be stored under the front bunk, then I'll have my answer.

Thanks again!

Adele
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 73 Boler
When i bought my boler the previous owner had made a bed rail out of white 1 inch pvc tubing used in underground sprinklers. The tubing slid into the two top bunk supports on the bottom bed. If you dont have these chrome supports you can go to a plumbing store and buy the same type of thing in 3/4 inch pipe fitting or 1 inch pipe fitting. Pull the rail out when you dont want it there and the cushion goes over the bunk supports. 1 inch pvc is cheap and building a rail out of it just requires glue and 4 90 degree fittings and 2 tee fittings.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's been a number of years since my daughter was a toddler and since THEY do grow up you'll only need this "fix" for a couple of years. How about something made out of netting? Anchored to the fiberglass bottom bunk with hook 'n loop and maybe at the top with a spring-loaded tension rod with hook 'n loop too It would be lightweight, easily removable, see through and if your daugher "unhooked" the fasteners in the middle of the night..you'd hear the riiiipppp.

Enjoy every moment of camping with your toddler...you're helping her make memories
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My only concern with mounting the bedrail to a piece of plywood is being able to access the under seat storage compartments easily.
In that case, I would duplicate the storage compartment access holes in the plywood. possibly reattaching the cut-out portion of the plywood with a piano hinge, to maintain the level-ness of the platform.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
In that case, I would duplicate the storage compartment access holes in the plywood. possibly reattaching the cut-out portion of the plywood with a piano hinge, to maintain the level-ness of the platform.
If you cut out openings a bit bigger than the openings already there, you can use the new cut outs, and store the original tops until you no longer need the railing.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
If you cut out openings a bit bigger than the openings already there, you can use the new cut outs, and store the original tops until you no longer need the railing.
Boy - you're a clever bunch! Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I'm going to comtemplate the plywood with bed rail vs. pvc piping options. I'll take a photo of whatever we end up doing and I'll post it in the summer after our holidays.

Thanks again!

Adele