Toilet Flange on Bigfoot 25RQ ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Bigfoot
South Dakota
Toilet Flange on Bigfoot 25RQ ?

I just replaced the toilet in our 2018 25RQ but it's not right. I put in a Thetford Bavura which is low enough for the drawers to open. The toilet it replaced was not original so I'm not sure what's been changed.

See attached photo. The blue attachment is a Danco Hydroseat. It is a fix for damaged flanges, screws to the floor. I believe it's for residential toilets with a wax seal under it. There was no seal. I expected to find a damaged flange, but found no such flange for bolts. Just the round partial flange, a little crooked, mounted to the black tank, as shown.

Does anyone know what is supposed to be here? Does the flange screw into the black tank pipe or is it glued? If anyone has had the toilet out I'd like to hear what flange you found, or better yet some pictures.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
flange.jpg  
Box Elder, SD
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Hugh,
I have used those replacement flanges for toilet in old houses. I usually put a wax ring around the opening in the floor, put the DANCO flange over it and screw the flange to the floor. The new toilet then sits in the new flange with the rubber gasket acting as the seal for the toilet out-flow. I think that would work for you based on your picture. If the wax ring sits too high, I've shaved them done to fit, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

South Dakota
Kevin:

It could work. However, everything I read suggests a wax ring isn't as good as the rubber gasket usually used in RVs. The thinking is the wax softens with heat and deform under vibration. Not sure I buy the argument but all the RV mfg use the rubber gasket.

Ours, as put together, had no seal between the hydroseat and the "flange". This is certainly not right. It's also not stable as is. The wax seal would add some rigidity but I think likely not enough. I think the hydroseat may be too high even with no wax seal. The toilet is still tippy when fully tightened. It's either not sucking down to the floor or the hydroseat is flexing.

But it may be the best and certainly be the easiest solution. It's encouraging to hear they work well in residential applications.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Hugh,
I have used those replacement flanges for toilet in old houses. I usually put a wax ring around the opening in the floor, put the DANCO flange over it and screw the flange to the floor. The new toilet then sits in the new flange with the rubber gasket acting as the seal for the toilet out-flow. I think that would work for you based on your picture. If the wax ring sits too high, I've shaved them done to fit, too.
Box Elder, SD
Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #4

South Dakota
I talked with Bigfoot today. The toilet flange setup in our trailer is not original. We could figure no reason they would have made this cludge/fix. From the factory it's a standard flange that screws to the floor (6 screws) and has slots for toilet hold down bolts. This is two parts, 1) the flange with a straight pipe at the bottom, and 2) an adapter that accepts the pipe from the flange with the other end screwing into the black tank.

Theory is, we can unscrew the wierd flange that's there and put a standard one on. I can't unscrew it. So, I have the professionals coming next Monday to do the work. We'll see.

Thanks.
Box Elder, SD
Old 12-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Good luck with the repair! You are correct that the wax ring is not ideal for such applications, but in old houses, the floors are often not level and something needs to fill gaps. I hope your repair guys can make it all right again.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

Name: Jeff
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I talked with Bigfoot today. The toilet flange setup in our trailer is not original. We could figure no reason they would have made this cludge/fix. From the factory it's a standard flange that screws to the floor (6 screws) and has slots for toilet hold down bolts. This is two parts, 1) the flange with a straight pipe at the bottom, and 2) an adapter that accepts the pipe from the flange with the other end screwing into the black tank.

Theory is, we can unscrew the wierd flange that's there and put a standard one on. I can't unscrew it. So, I have the professionals coming next Monday to do the work. We'll see.

Thanks.
currinh,

What did you learn after the professionals came to replace the toilet flange? Does the flange that comes from Bigfoot simply unscrew from the floor and lift straight up? I've got a 2019 Bigfoot 25B25RQ with a floor flange that may need to be replaced. I'm not sure what I need to do to replace it, or what part to order.
fastlakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:40 PM   #7

Name: AARON
Trailer: Currently Shopping, past FG trailers: 2003 17' Casita SD; 2014 17' Casita SD
Texas
Could someone tell me why these are being replaced in relatively new trailers? Is there a problem with the manufacturing? I will be purchasing a new Bigfoot in the next few months and I would like to be prepared.
Thundercleese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot