Tongue jack for Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Tongue jack for Scamp 13?

What is a good option to replace a tongue jack on a 13’ Scamp? (I managed to damage the existing one.)

Also, I have been thinking about a tongue jack with a wheel so I can move the tongue a few feet for lining up the ball. What are the pros and cons of a wheel vs a flat plat on the bottom?
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 86 scamp 13’
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
What is a good option to replace a tongue jack on a 13’ Scamp? (I managed to damage the existing one.)

Also, I have been thinking about a tongue jack with a wheel so I can move the tongue a few feet for lining up the ball. What are the pros and cons of a wheel vs a flat plat on the bottom?

I picked up both from the big box store. I replaced the old one I had that was welded inside the frame in front of the propane tank. I also added a wheeled one to the side of the frame but that one seemed a bit shaky and cumbersome to work with. The handle seemed a little in the way but maybe that was just the one I bought. Definitely prefer the center one without the wheel. Much more solid feeling. The scamp is also very easy for me to move, but a bit hard for my girlfriend to push around. She preferred the center one as well.
Mcat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You don't say what year your Scamp is, or what ball size,
Does it have a vertical jack or a kickstand style jack?

My '04 came with a 1-7/8" ball and a kickstand style jack.
I replaced it with the vertical jack which Scamp now offers.
That required a tongue mod.
If you have a vertical jack and a 2" ball , replacement is a simple bolt on.
Be aware that these jacks come in different amount of length below the coupler.
Scamp has one with the right length. so get it from them or ask them for the part# and specify that it is a SCamp13

Be aware that the big box store jacks generally are cheaper both in quality and price. They often come with a permanently attached wheel.
The better jacks From an RV place or directly from Scamp generally come with a removable foot and a wheel designed to interchange with it.

I use the foot when traveling and install the wheel at home to move the trailer around...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG   DSCF0093.JPG  

tongue jack 178.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #4

California

Thanks for those great points. It is a 2015 Scamp (13') with a vertical style jack. It has a triangular mounting plate with 3 lag screws. The two lag screws toward the rear got pulled up about 3/4" and the back of the trianglular plate bent. The tongue itself seems undamaged. (I guess the bottom of the jack hit something, though i did not notice at the time.) I was wondering if there is something slightly better to replace it with, though it did work fine before i damaged it.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
removable jack wheel

Also, I have been thinking about a tongue jack with a wheel so I can move the tongue a few feet for lining up the ball. What are the pros and cons of a wheel vs a flat plat on the bottom?[/QUOTE]
Fix the old one and buy a wheel and a plate for it. The wheel needs to be off when towing or it will hit and damage it again and the plate is more stable when camped.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've got a jack wheel, somewhere. At a recent rally there were two of them at the "FREE" table. I use a wireless camera to position the ball directly under the hitch.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2019, 02:32 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

The advantage of the wheels is that they can be rolled. The disadvantage of the wheels is that they can be rolled.

Aren't you glad I cleared up your confusion
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #8

California
wheel or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The advantage of the wheels is that they can be rolled. The disadvantage of the wheels is that they can be rolled.

Aren't you glad I cleared up your confusion
I am glad. Thanks. So I am wondering if it is fine to have it on a wheel in front when it is stored for two weeks in a paved parking area? No camping, no one going in and out. Just sitting there? (I can chock the back wheels.) Also, if I am adding a wheel when i get to the storage area, then less distance to crank down the jack.)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Fix the old one and buy a wheel and a plate for it. The wheel needs to be off when towing or it will hit and damage it again and the plate is more stable when camped.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
ScampTongueJack.png  
Old 11-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #10

California
fix or replace?

Picture is in the reply just above. Does that look fixable or would it be preferable to replace? (I am getting the impression that there is not an easy upgrade or better option than what was on there originally (2015 Scamp)?, and that if I replace it is good to get a new jack assembly from Scamp? Do you all agree?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Picture is in the reply just above. Does that look fixable or would it be preferable to replace? (I am getting the impression that there is not an easy upgrade or better option than what was on there originally (2015 Scamp)?, and that if I replace it is good to get a new jack assembly from Scamp? Do you all agree?
Don't know your budget or your skill level, but it looks like it could be fixed, but a new one is around $50.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Don't know your budget or your skill level, but it looks like it could be fixed, but a new one is around $50.
well, i don't have easy access to the heating and bending tools that I might need to flatten that triangle plate and $50 or $100 is not a problem at all. Where you you recommend buying a new one? Is there something better or should I just replace with original?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Picture is in the reply just above. ..
Looks like your propane regulator has the vent facing horizontal (but can't be 100% sure from the photo). That is typical of many Scamps and still wrong.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Toungue Jack

Replacing a jack on my Scamp 2017 16-ft SD/FB is no big deal.
Northern Tool has a good supply and priced right. I purchased a 3000 lb cap sidewind one. It took about 10 minutes to remove the old one and install the new jack. If you want I'll send you my old one in new shape for the cost of freight. This is a good deal but getting it local may be a lot cheaper.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Looks like your propane regulator has the vent facing horizontal (but can't be 100% sure from the photo). That is typical of many Scamps and still wrong.

Thanks. I will check that!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #16

Name: Bill
CA
Tongue jack for Scamp 13

Quote:

The factory tongue jack (triangular 3 bolt on) for my 2019 Scamp 13 was too low for a friend's driveway hump. I bout one at my local RV supply for about $50 that is about 12" higher and just as beefy. It has a removable plate which can be replaced with a wheel. Since it's parked on a slight incline, I don't think I could muscle the rig around without a Power Caster.

Bill
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #17

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Jack fix

[QUOTE=Does that look fixable or would it be preferable to replace? (I am getting the impression that there is not an easy upgrade or better option than what was on there originally (2015 Scamp)?, and that if I replace it is good to get a new jack assembly from Scamp? Do you all agree?[/QUOTE]

That’s about what my utility trailer jack looked like. On that I was able to drive the ATV on the trailer and use the winch to pull it straight. You will need to find another way to apply the force. If that fails, $30 should get you a new jack at Harbor Freight, for about $150you can go electric. The one in the picture came from E-trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
11 Battery A frame 2018.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I plan to replace the front top-wind jack on our Scamp 16 with a side-wind jack since I added a front rack and the side winder would work better with the new rack.
As far as the wheel, we thought we would want one since we had one on our pop-up that we liked, but the pop up had a folding jack that moved the wheel well above the ground when stowed. We made the mistake of leaving the wheel on the Scamp jack once, and even in the full crank up position, it would hit the ground when traveling through dips at gas stations or driveways. I always ended up placing something solid under the wheel when camping so it wouldn't roll, which defeats the purpose of using it to roll up to your tow vehicle.
The wheel ended up on a "free" table at a gathering somewhere, which is where we got it a few years prior.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #19

Name: Bill
CA
Jack wheel vs. plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damp Scamp Tramp View Post
The factory tongue jack (triangular 3 bolt on) for my 2019 Scamp 13 was too low for a friend's driveway hump. I bout one at my local RV supply for about $50 that is about 12" higher and just as beefy. It has a removable plate which can be replaced with a wheel. Since it's parked on a slight incline, I don't think I could muscle the rig around without a Power Caster.

Bill
The advantage of a wheel, of course, is you can move the trailer while unhitched. Only disadvantages I can think of is the trailer will roll while on a slant if not chocked, and the bottom of the wheel would be lower than a plate when being towed.

BTW, I really over estimated the difference of the height of my new jack vs. the factory issued one. It's probably about 6", but that's the difference between hitting a speed bump or the crown of a driveway.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #20

Registry
The wheel is really only effective on smooth concrete or blacktop surfaces.
On grass it might as well be the foot.

Tags
scamp