Tool required? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #1

Name: michael
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Tool required?

I have a 2008 Escape 17B. Something has come loose in behind the toilette and when the pump is on, there is a slow leak coming from the toilette valve. I cannot get my fingers back there to get enough traction to tighten the fitting on the valve stem which attaches to the pex plumbing. None of the tools I have fit properly to do the job. Does anyone out there know of a wrench of some type that would do the job?
mweichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
Need more info…

Pex fittings are had at homedepot. There are two types, 1 press-in fittings, and 2. crimp. The press are cheaper and likely what a camper builder would use. These are easy to replace and you find the tool at homedepot. no need to describe it here since u have to go buy one anyway. it is a very simple tool, cheap too. The fitting might be fine, maybe it just needs to be pushed in more. You can push the PEX tubing into the fitting with no tools, Just shove it in more.
If it leaks then u may need to replace it.
You might need to remove toilet, but that is not hard at all. Two bolts just like you house toilet.

If it is a crimp fitting then it more work, but can be done yourself. Tools much more expensive, see if you can rent them. You will know the crimp method as you see a brass ring around the PEX tubing at the brass fitting. You will need to cut the PEX, then cut the brass ring (special too) and then a special tool to crimp a new ring on. Unlikely that a crimp would leak, so I am suspecting the slide-in fitting, or maybe the old-school plastic screw together ones.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Living so close to Escape, you could arrange with them to do a fix if you don't have the tools and knowledge to do the work. They would set up a time for you to bring the trailer in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks for the info but I know a lot about plumbing. I recently renovated my entire home, ripped out all the old copper piping (started having leaks in awkward spots) and redid all in pex. Used mainly crimped connections but also some sharkbite. Problem isn't skill but hands too big to fit.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Then pull out the toilet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks Bill. I was hoping not to have to do that as when I have to reinstall the toilette, I would have the same issue of trying to tighten the connections in that tiny space. Can't do the connections beforehand as there is not enough flexibility in the short length of pex. I guess what I will have to do is try to put in a piece of flexible braided connection, tighten it all up and then put the toilette back in place.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This problem sounds very familiar to me. Have you done a search on the Escape Owners' Forum?
Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 05-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have big hands too. Sometimes I borrow someone with small hands.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweichel View Post
I have a 2008 Escape 17B. Something has come loose in behind the toilette and when the pump is on, there is a slow leak coming from the toilette valve. I cannot get my fingers back there to get enough traction to tighten the fitting on the valve stem which attaches to the pex plumbing. None of the tools I have fit properly to do the job. Does anyone out there know of a wrench of some type that would do the job?
Would a basin wrench work?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Ba...0127/304217758
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote