Toppers vs Tonneau Covers - A Discussion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Toppers vs Tonneau Covers - A Discussion

Moderators Note: This discussion was split off from a thead in the Commercial Posts and Products sub-forum, a place for our Commercial Members to sell their wares, without doing so on the regular discussion sub-forums.

Why would I want a tonneau cover when I can, (and do,) have a cab-high canopy.
For roughly the same price, you get twice the storage capacity and much more physical security.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
My cousin has one of these tonneau covers on his truck and he loves it. Less weight than a fiberglass cap.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The reason that I have a tonneau rather than a topper is that it is easier to get out of the way for hitching my fifth wheel.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Toppers can have a good advantage, but tonneau covers can do the job too, especially if you don't need to carry a lot.

Besides, it would be pretty tough to hook up a 5th wheel with a topper, no problem with my tonneau cover. edit: Oops, I see Dennis beat me to this reasoning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I love my tonneau cover. Used to have a canopy and hated it in the winter with all the snow and ice, always really blocked my vision.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm another tonneau cover lover - have one on my Taco and it hides all my camping goodies (including the generator when I pack it.) When I run the generator I leave the tailgate down and the closed tonneau helps contain the noise.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Curious

I have a Thule rack mounted to sides, thus leaving equipment stored in bed of truck vulnerable. Are there any covers that would work short of removing the Thule rack?
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymcs View Post
I have a Thule rack mounted to sides, thus leaving equipment stored in bed of truck vulnerable. Are there any covers that would work short of removing the Thule rack?
Depends on your Thule and usage - racks and carriers are often mounted on the brand I have. You might have to shorten some crossbars to narrow things up a tad:

Undercover Hard Tonneau Cover | Low Price Guarantee! Free Shipping at TonneauCoversWorld.com

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
You must sell these things, right?
Why would I want a tonneau cover when I can, (and do,) have a cab-high canopy.
For roughly the same price, you get twice the storage capacity and much more physical security.
I also chose a fiberglass topper and for the same reasons (storage and security)
A tonneau cover is a less expensive choice . My fiberglass Unicover Safari II was over $1500
which included sliding windows with screen all around and painted to match my truck.
Most locked toneau covers can be opened with a knife so the added security of a topper was worth the additional cost IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
$300 bucks and keeps the frost out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonneau.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #11

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I use a Roll & Lock. Let's me lock up the tailgate, and rolled up I can haul a refrigerator.

So, the question is, what are your needs and what fits those needs best.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I'm getting an extended height cap, carpet lined. More secure, more room, easier access to the bed of the truck, and it will be my spare bedroom for the Scamp 13.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a fiberglass tonneau & it works great in keeping items safe and secure and it keeps me from loading up to much stuff in the rear. My truck has a fairly limited pay load so with the trailer connected and two adults and dog in the truck it does not have a lot left over for large heavy items in the rear. I went to the local rack shop and they said they would have no problems mounting some Thule mounts onto the tonneau if I decided I want to carry the bikes on top of it. I have seen a few trucks in the area with the bikes riding ono the fiberglass tonneau covers. I also prefer a tonneau to a topper as it does not interfere with the rearview at all.

What I don't like about my current tonneau is that fact its impossible for me to remove on my own if I want to carry something large in the back of the truck when not towing. For that reason the next truck will have a BakFlip Tonneau installed instead. Have a few friends with them and they are real easy to flip back as far as one needs to allow space for taller items.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Most locked toneau covers can be opened with a knife so the added security of a topper was worth the additional cost IMHO
If its a soft tonneau that is very true but with a fiberglass one or some of the aluminum or ABS ones it would be a bit harder to do with a knife.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I also prefer a tonneau to a topper as it does not interfere with the rearview at all.
What I don't like about my current tonneau is that fact its impossible for me to remove on my own if I want to carry something large in the back of the truck when not towing. For that reason the next truck will have a BakFlip Tonneau installed instead. Have a few friends with them and they are real easy to flip back as far as one needs to allow space for taller items.

Have to agree with you on the tonneau, it doesn't work for every one. A few of my buds have them and I ended up moving things because of my open truck. As far as a shell/ topper I have to kind of disagree with the rear view. Side view looking over your shoulder...yes. Your inside rear view only shows the front of the trailer. Yup, it's still there . The side mirrors show clearance, possible sway and such. After 20 years of commercial towing (only side mirrors) I find the interior center rear view more of a hindrance than a help as it takes my eyes from front and side to side checking. Keep telling myself to tilt it up to take it out of the loop. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I prefer the tonneau because it provides better visability when unhitched and I don't carry a lot of stuff. Mine is an inexpensive soft tonneau. It can be rolled up if I need to carry something large or need access anywhere in the bed. I've had it for 6 years and it still works great. As far as security, there is none. Any one with a knife can get in. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good post Raz, being that the folks here are towing eggs I didn't think to mention the difference with rear view vision driving barefoot, thanks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have had a couple dozen pickups over the last 35 years, and only a couple, as well as my new one, had toppers on them. The main reason for the toppers is for work though, as I never carry enough personal gear to warrant one, or even a pickup for that matter.

Most of the toppers I have had or seen are not all that theft proof. If someone wants in, they will get in. Even my current work truck (Ford F-350) topper, a full body aluminum insert type, so really not a topper, made out of heavy duty aluminum, was stolen and had the heavy metal hinges cut off with a metal blade in a recip saw, with the thieves getting away with about $15k work of tools.

Here is a shot of it with a Trillium 1300 behind it for comparison. It holds a lot of stuff well organized. It is not light at all though, having heavy aluminum on all six sides.

With my new truck, a Ford F-150, bought with towing my upcoming Escape 5.0TA in mind, I obviously will not be able to use a topper of any type. So off to search and research tonneau covers I went. I spent many hours looking for just the right one. I will likely sell my big truck, as well as my big dumping construction trailer, and use this truck for work, in order to get some cash flow happening.

I looked at all the tonneau covers available. Lots of really good options, that offer every bit of security that a topper does, however, I was keen to have one with a built in toolbox, for use as much when towing, as for work. I finally ended up ordering a Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite four panel folding tonneau, with their built-in Personal Caddy Toolbox. I did the install myself, which went very good.

This topper is great, I can flip the front panel back to access the tool caddy, or flip the back three on top of the first one, allowing full access to the rest of the bed, and be able to hitch up my 5.0. So far no leaks at all, and this thing is really tough. I can even walk on it. Once it was set up, if I should ever need use of the full bed, it is only minutes to remove the cover, though leaving the side rails in place.

Here is the link. I am sure some of you have heard of them, but worth checking out.\
Fold-a-Cover Tonneau Covers | A Division of Steffens Automotive

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong to either a topper or tonneau cover in my opinion, there are good and bad in both categories. You just need to find a solution that works for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
I recently switched from a folding cover to a topper. The topper gives me much better access (especially in the rain). I pack the stuff that's needed for setup around the edge of the truck's bed (chocks, toolbox, electrical & plumbing) all easily reached thru the topper's side and rear windows. While camped it becomes a "spare room".

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We have pulled our boler with a lot of different vehicles.
The small pickup with a topper was very handy but did have some
visibility issues (for me anyway).
We had to upgrade as the little truck had almost 400,000 k on it.
The van has about the same space but not as handy because of business
requirments.
Thinking 4dr 4x4 truck with a topper will answer my needs best.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000365.jpg   IMG_00001287.jpg  

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote