Tornado damage in Seneca, SC - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: 1973 Boler 13ft
South Carolina
Tornado damage in Seneca, SC

We just moved to Seneca six months ago. The tornado hit April 13 and did severe damage to our property and my 73 13ft Boler. A tree landed on the back left, both side windows and back window, and of course fiberglass repair. I have talked with a repair place, we are both wondering if replacing the whole top half would be better, if we can find one that is.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
So sad, Susan in Seneca

Susan in Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
I think that would be a total loss if insured. Sorry for your loss. Post pics that show fiberglass damage, with fiberglass you might have more damage that you can see.

PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #3

South Carolina
Don't want to give up on Boler, tornado damage

I know! It looks bad. But I am seeing people go right down to the frame. Should I find a fiberglass guy to do a side job, take as long as needed. OR find a whole new top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200417_122216644_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200418_141742493_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20200410_195428724.jpg   IMG_20200329_161751345_HDR.jpg  

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
There have been a couple of members trailers that have been either rear-ended, snow load, or tree damaged that looked like yours, and have been successfully repaired by the owners. I would think paying someone to repair the damage wouldn’t be cost effective. I know that Scamp sells the top shells, but don’t know if they would fit yours. You could call them to see, and how much to have them do the repair/swap.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We had a tree cut our Casita in half in 2010 when it was just one year old. The insurance covered repairs but they were over $10000. Later we figured out that it had also bent the axle and that was another $1000+. Yours is much worse than ours was.

Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can find a way to get back on the road soon.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I think fiberglass repair is your only option. Likely cost prohibitive unless you do it yourself. It could be a fun project, if you have the time and covered workspace.

Around here at least, tradespeople are very busy and its hard to find talented ones to do work on the side.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
you might want to check with the boat repair folks in your area. they're very used to repairing fiberglass...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

South Carolina
Thanks for the note. I was thinking I may learn to do fiberglass. I did contact scamp repair, they said before 2005 may fit. since then they have done a change.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #9

South Carolina
we have the time, newly retired, 1200 square foot shop, and we are both very handy. may give it a try! thanks for the encouragement
Old 05-20-2020, 06:28 AM   #10

South Carolina
thanks, I will check out the boat repair. They may have a solution
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
You may want to do some reading on hazards of fiberglass work. You will most likely contaminate your work shop to the point you could be at health risk using it. I hope the insurance paid enough to buy yourself a new old trailer and you could blend any parts left from yours to the new project. I wouldn't attempt a repair of that top, just way too many risks and better off enjoying your retirement, most likely damage to the bottom half you just can't see that would show up later and be a project that never ends.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #12

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Cut your losses if the trailer was not insured, send the trailer to the local roundy roundy track for their trailer races and move on!

So what if you have the the time and ability to repair the trailer. There are some things that are not worth your time and effort. Let some other "Dreamer" take a stab at it.

Take the good stuff off of it and give to the insurance company if you have coverage or find somebody to take it off your hands for some amount of money if possible.

FREE is probably not a good deal!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTXFL View Post
You may want to do some reading on hazards of fiberglass work. You will most likely contaminate your work shop to the point you could be at health risk using it. I hope the insurance paid enough to buy yourself a new old trailer and you could blend any parts left from yours to the new project. I wouldn't attempt a repair of that top, just way too many risks and better off enjoying your retirement, most likely damage to the bottom half you just can't see that would show up later and be a project that never ends.

Well the first part if very true as far as studying up on how to do it. And a big part of that is studying how to do it safey. But if you know how to do it safety you should not have a major problem.

It certainly is probably more of a project than most people would want to undertake. The Bible talks a lot about building a tower and seeing if you can complete the task before starting it. I have to wonder if this "tower" is worth doing. Certainly probably for even just the supplies and proper tools and equipment to do it safey you could buy another one. But if this looks like a project you want to undertake for the fun of it, it certainly could be done safely with proper planning.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I guess I am a gluten for punishment. I regularly take on projects that financially are questionable. As far as contaminating the workshop, roll it outside for some of the more serious work then roll it back inside. I did this with my Trillium belly band. Wear the right gear for fiberglass. Do your research first. If the heavy fiberglass is too much, hire a boat guy to do it and then do the rest.

I bought a duplex down the street from us that the real estate inspector told me was too far gone and I should tear it down. I am too stubborn for that! I rebuilt one side, did the work myself, spent a lot of time but not that much $$. I’m doing the other side now, hired a carpenter and a helper to assist. Wanted to speed up the process at a higher cost. Will it be cost effective? I doubt it. Will I lose money on it? No. I bought it cheap, it’s well located, and property has gone up. But financially I would do better selling as is and forgoing the added effort.

In the end, I enjoy the work so I’m doing it. I have a lot of retired friends right now that are sitting around. I’m putting 75 hours a week into the house remodel.

Many people are unrealistic on time. They are working full time, are raising a family, don’t have a place to do the work. The OP sounds like they can do it!

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote