Total newbie! Electrical questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Casey
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Total newbie! Electrical questions

Hey there!

We just purchased a 1990 deluxe scamp and are so excited to get her ready for the season. The lights and everything work great when plugged into power but we can't figure out how to run off battery. Bought and tested the battery so know that isn't the issue.

The refrigerator doesn't work one way or the other and I'm at a total lost as to where to even start. Any suggestions on the refrigerator and/or the battery power would be much appreciated!

Thanks! Loving this site!
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Can you post the model # of the fridge?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While i do not own a scamp
Im pretty sure not all lights work off battery ... so bottomline many work off 120v others off 12v
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Since you live in Minnesota, you might want to make a trip to Backus and have them check out the trailer and correct any noted deficiencies.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Name: Casey
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Can you post the model # of the fridge?
It's a "dometic" RM 2201 AC/ DC /LPG
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The only 120 VAC lighting in my Scamp was a fluorescent light , all the others were 12 VDC.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Good suggestion to make a run to Backus if you can. The fluorescent is the only light that works when plugged in to shore power. Last year I had an issue when the wiring harness under my front bunk came loose so no battery was available
If you do go to Backus I recommend hooking up with Micah.. Congratulations on your new camper. Have a fun/safe summer!
John
Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Casey,

Determine if the lights that are working are 12 volt. This is easily done by removing the cover and looking at the bulb. If the 12 volt lights work when plugged in, but not on the battery when unplugged, then follow the wires from the battery and look for a disconnect switch or fuse. Also, if you have a volt/Ohm meter, (which you should have), you can look at the battery voltage when plugged vs unplugged. Plugged in, it will be over 13 volts, unplugged it will be 12.6 or lower. If it does not rise when plugged in, the battery is not connected to the system, which, again, could be a disconnect switch or fuse. Once you settle the lighting issue, you can begin to look at the fridge, which may be a completely different problem. Work on the lights first.

Tags
electrical