Tow hitch for Bike Carrier? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Washington
Tow hitch for Bike Carrier?

I have a 1997 13' Scamp and would like to get a tow hitch welded on the rear bumper to support a bike carrier. Has anyone done this or any suggestions? Thank you and Happy Scamping!
NW Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Of course Jeremy! But, think about a couple of things. You can't weld a tube reserver to the rear bumper and hope everything stays there. I've often said that most of these trailers have rear bumpers that are about as thick as tin foil. Add 50# to it... and cracks happen. Everything you add behind the axle also takes away from the tongue weight. You want to maintain 10-15% tounge weight to help sway issues. Do you like your bike? Remember, you won't be able to see it under tow and in the rain, the back of the trailer develops "road rash" just as bad as the front. If you really, really like your bike, I'd suggest this:
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRake-1.jpg   InsideBikeRake-2.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Donna, do you know if that board the bikes are mounted to is secured somehow or is it free floating?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

Melissa, I have a couple of different pics... and I've had them so long I don't know where I got them! At least one, shows the board "anchored" front and back based on length... no where to slide. This was posted only to give Jeremy an "idea" of what other things can be done besides putting a bike "outside," plus welding, etc.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Looks like a great idea to me! Trying to figure out how to carry bikes inside as well without resorting to spending money on folding ones. I wouldnt want to drill holes anywhere to anchor the board though.....Maybe some industrial velcro???
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Melissa, if the board goes completely front to back... or side to side, either way wedged tight there's no where for it to go. Remember, the entire bike doesn't need to ride on the board, just the tongue mounts.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Oh ya, Duh! Thanks Donna!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here are pictures from Tim Wood's Scamp 13 receiver project, his was done right for a 13.
Note that the bumper is cut out for more ground clearance....
Tim!! Chime in here!
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Scamp did ours when we ordered the 5ver.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Scamp did ours when we ordered the 5ver.
Scamp mounts all of theirs below the bumper, which is acceptable for the 16 and the 19.... but not the best idea for a 13.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Jeremy, I know you spoke of a carrier for the back of your Scamp. But this has worked well for me: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-34122.html

Still available Rackbiz - Automotive Accessories, Bike Rack Carriers, Camping Gear, Pet Supplies, Auto Accessories, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Truck Accessories
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #12

Washington
Thanks Donna! That is a great idea. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so we stop a lot on our trips to get in and out of the Scamp. I really like your set up...well done!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Washington
Thanks Floyd...I know a local welder and I am going to show him this picture. I will post what I decide to do. Thanks for the information.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #14

Washington
Dave,
Thanks for the information. I like that set up a lot. Great price too. I am going to take the scamp to a local welder I know and see what he thinks and go from there. I will post pics of what i decide. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jeremy if your at all concerned about taking to much weight off the Scamps tongue by putting the bikes on the rear (how much will depend on how much your bikes & rack you use weigh) and still want to be able to get in and out of the trailer while on the road putting the bikes on the roof of the tow vehicle is an option well worth considering.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Jeremy
I bought a receiver hitch doubler. it has the std. 2" tube that goes into the tow vehicle. welded on top of this insert is another 2" tube it is 4"s higher than the tube below. the bottom tube becomes a new receiver for the hitch with the ball on it for the trailer. the top tube I put my Tulle (sic ?) bike rack hitch into. The two bikes are between the tow and the trailer. The Tulle rack pivots, and leans back toward the trailer. the "doubler receiver hitch" adds about 16"s to the common spacing that one gets with just a "regular receiver hitch",so you now have two receiver hitches coupled together. I bought this at Harbor Freight, bring it up on the web, to see what it looks like. One has to buy the tulle bike rack; or some other rack that may not pivot out of the way, of the tow rear door. YMMV

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Donna D.;301595]Of course Jeremy! But, think about a couple of things. You can't weld a tube reserver to the rear bumper and hope everything stays there.

This is certain!! My brother-in-law had a "professional" welder put a receiver on the rear bumper of his popup camper. He just butt welded it to the bumper! Somewhere out on the interstate it broke off resulting in the bikes being dragged down the road. This topic has come up several times here and on another forum. The important thing to realize is that bikes on a rear rack will bounce a lot and put quite a bit of strain on the rack and receiver. A hang type rack will be worse because of leverage. I've made a few rear receivers on trailers, and made them so they attach to the bumper and two frame crossmembers. I have also reinforced the cross members with extra pieces of angle iron. I have also made a couple tongue mounted bike racks, and the bikes ride much better there. We just completed a 2500 mile trip with two bikes on the rear of our Uhaul. I am using the type rack where the bike wheels set into loops and arms with clamps hold them by the top frame tube. Half way into the trip I found that the part of the rack where the support arms attach was starting to bend back, so I had to go to Home Depot and get some angle & clamps to reinforce it temporarily to get home. This is one item that has to be well built. I think I read somewhere that some racks specify that they are not to be used on the rear of a trailer, and I just installed a hitch on that same brother-in-laws new car, and the directions said it is not to be used with a bike rack. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Sorry Floyd for coming in here late, and thanks for the kind words. Yes it can be done right, just a little thought behind the idea is all you need. I did cut out the bumper and welded in and around the receiver, then took some square stock and welded it to the end of the receiver and to both sides of the frame. I'm sure it would handle plenty of weight, and bikes were no problem for me. Never had any problems with sway either, but did have double tanks on the tongue.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Scamp View Post
I have a 1997 13' Scamp and would like to get a tow hitch welded on the rear bumper to support a bike carrier. Has anyone done this or any suggestions? Thank you and Happy Scamping!
i had the factory installed receiver put on mine. i assume they don't put a different bumper on depending on if your having one installed at the factory. which means,,,,any good welder could hook you up. but to be sure,,, a phone call to scamp will tell you if what i speak is prime bologna. or only discount bologna.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Katey
Trailer: 13' Deluxe Scamp
Minnesota

Has anyone used this type of spare tire rack on a 13'?
Kltschida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp