Tow vehicle

Can I use a 2004 Volvo XC 90 to pull a 16 Scamp

Lockmasterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
A 16Scamp has a base weight of around 2100 pounds and an average loaded weight of around 2400. This means a tongue weight of around 250 pounds.

In addition the Scamp is unsurpassed in the industry for aerodynamics and stability.
Be sure your Volvo is capable within those parameters and properly equipped including hitch and brake controller.
Speed should always be mitigated when towing (maybe 60MPG tops)

You probably came to the wrong place for a direct answer to your question.
Certainly check your owners manual for advice from the manufacturer before making your final decision.

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Average loaded weight from the Trailer Weights database is about 2600# with an average tongue weight around 260# (from the spreadsheet in post #297).

There's a lot of variability for this model because there are so many different layouts and such a range of standard and optional equipment, but I'd recommend a minimum tow rating of 3500#, fairly common in mid-sized and even a few compact SUVs.

I agree about starting with your owner's manual. Mine is very thorough and specific. Internet opinions about appropriate tow vehicles range from "if it has four wheels it'll tow it" to "if you don't have a heavy duty truck you're a mortal danger to yourself and others." Arguments can get overheated faster than your transmission on a long grade.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I just did a search and one source says the tow rating for a 2004 XC90 is 5000 pounds. Check for your application and required proper equipment.
Also for a car that old a thorough inspection before towing might be in order.

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
our tug

We run a ford edge 2.0 it is only rated at 1500lbs. We tug a 13 foot Scamp around 1200lbs I think.

I put on my own hitch no big deal, hooked up the 6pin connector it has no brakes. We have had no problems I do stay out of o/d a good habit for anyone I think if you want to keep your transmission.

From my experience through the years manufactures are very conservative on their ratings. Since that Volvo is rated 5,000 I see no problems.

Once word of caution before you start any adventures have all your fluids changed. If doing a lot of towing cut your changes in half especially with your older car. I would check my oil every time I gassed up also!

As has been mentioned check your manual and find a Volvo site to learn about towing with your rig!

Best of luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockmasterjoe View Post
Can I use a 2004 Volvo XC 90 to pull a 16 Scamp
I have a 2001 V70 which I use to tow my 1989 LilBigfoot, all of which works a treat. But if I want to go bigger trailer-wise, I need a bigger vehicle also, so have been doing a lot of research on beefier Volvos.

What I learned is that the XC90 (not the XC60) will do what you want. Most people recommend the V8. This has me hesitating, as Id hate to use a V8 as a daily driver around town. But I digress.

You might consider joining the Facebook Volvo XC90 owners group and asking questions. Youll also find other recommendations about maintenance, repairs, and what you might need to add to safely tow. Good luck!