Tow Vehicle Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Tow Vehicle Needed

Tow Vehicle needed

Looking for reliable person with a 3/4 ton PU, or Tundra to tow my 21' Bigfoot Camper from my friends property in Center Harbor to Whitefield on May 21 or 22. Weight is 7500lbs. Tongue weight 500.

I've previously rented a truck from Enterprise to do this and thought to hire a person with truck instead who could use the money. I got ripped off by Enterprise and not doing business with them again.
Attached Thumbnails
Ram.jpg  
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Tow Vehicle needed

Did you find a tow vehicle. My question is how are saying that your trailer weighs 7500lbs. Both 21ft models are 43 and 4500 lbs. The heaviest Bigfoot is the 25ftFB it is 5500 lbs. On all the Bigfoot trailers there gross weight is 7500lbs. So you must have your trailer fully loaded.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
There are too many conflicting statements in the OP’s post for me to give a logical response

1) Does he need a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 ton truck ?
( A Tundra is a 1/2 ton truck and on the lower end of towing capacity when compared to the Ford F150)
2) The trailer weight stated is for a fully loaded Bigfoot 25 not a 21 ft Bigfoot , so which is correct ?
3) 500 lbs of tongue weight for a 7500 lb trailer seems odd- I have never owned a FG trailer with less than 10% tongue weight .
4) What does the photo of the gray truck in the OP’s post represent ?

Not trying to be negative just confused
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
There are probably mobile home transport companies in the area if you are unable to rent a truck and DYI.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Perhaps he is thinking there is a heavy duty version of the Tundra, which there is not. He is clearly looking for someone with a 3/4T truck set up for towing and willing to transport a 25' Bigfoot locally (in MA, I am assuming).

While a few 1/2T trucks properly equipped might do the job, I think it makes sense to seek a 3/4T or larger for this sort of job. The weights are confusing. 7500# is the GVWR, but the tongue weight seems on the light side, based on my recollection of the trailer weight data charts.

Agree that a professional mover might be the better way to go, assuming they have business liability insurance to cover anything that might go wrong during the transport. Googling RV movers might turn something up. Mobile home movers are another option, likely more expensive because they will use a semi-tractor.

On the whole this seems like a short-term solution for a long-term problem. Unless this trailer is going to be set up semi-permanently, paying to move it multiple times a year is soon going to exceed the cost of a decent used truck.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If it were a tandem axle trailer, it would likely require proportionately less tongue weight. Most fiberglass trailers are single axle.
There are plenty of SUVs and light trucks which could do this job.
Especially assuming that we're talking about a single trip within rated capacity.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Single vs Twin axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If it were a tandem axle trailer, it would likely require proportionately less tongue weight. Most fiberglass trailers are single axle.
There are plenty of SUVs and light trucks which could do this job.
Especially assuming that we're talking about a single trip within rated capacity.
This trailer is twice the weight of our boler, with it's has a single axle, did not know that twin axle may lower tongue weight requirements but it makes sense.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Bigfoot 21 Safe Towing

3500 lbs is possible but not safe for the six cylinder 4 Runner,

A 2000 Toyota 4Runner has a towing capacity of 3,500 to 5,000 lbs., with a payload of 1,275 to 1,810 pounds. The engine torque varies by trim, 177 lbs.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm, 217 lbs.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm and 217 lbs.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm. The tongue weight is between 350 and 500.

I just rented a 3/4 ton Ram for $125 to move the Bigfoot 21. No issues whatsoever. Hook up the WD hitch, make sure more weight in the tongue and go. No swaying or struggling. I believe these trucks can tow up to 12,000 lbs.

Towing Ability Half-Ton vs. Three-Quarter Ton vs. Full-Ton Trucks

Cheap money. Since the Plandemic, In CONTRAST, used trucks without rust in this size are selling for $25k-$50K minimum. The Bigfoot lives semi-permanently at a Campground in Northern NH from Memorial Day through End of October. In Winter it lives at Gunstock Campground. Only need a tow vehicle a few times a year.

At some point it would be great to take the Bigfoot 21 on the road, but not until the issue of a safe tow vehicle is solved. I am continueing to look for a used, suitable V8 pickkup or Landcruiser wagon etc.

My other trailer, a Trillium 1300 (at 1200 or so lbs) is easily pulled with my 4 Runner and this is the go-on-the-road trailer.

I was curious as to the experienced on this site what their suggestions might be. In hindsight, I would have purchased a 3/4 ton or Tundra to begin with instead of the 4 Runner. So let this be a lesson to the forum as well...consider future needs. No downside for more torgue and horsepower.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I towed a ~4000 lb Escape 21 cross country (lewisville texas to the mid-left coast by way of Reno) with a '08 Tacoma v6, no problems except lack of payload, and awful gas mileage. truck handled the weight of the trailer just fine, including going up and over some steep grades (the Sierra...). yes, the Tacoma had airbags, beefier shocks, load range E all terrain tires, and was a 6-speed stick shift.

If your bigfoot and tow vehicle are mostly empty, any half ton, or full sized SUV (Tahoe, Expedition, etc) would tow it just fine.

as far as dual axles go, Escape 19 and 21 are both dual axle, as are most Bigfoots. any time you get above 3500 lbs GWR on the trailer you're going to find dual axles. it does NOT lower the tongue weight, it just provides more payload and stability.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #10

Mid Left Coast
btw, you can find a 3/4 ton chevy/ford/doge gasser on the left coast for well under $10K in perfectly good running condition with no rust at all. We only paid $13K for our F250 XLT diesel 4x4 longbed in very nice shape, yes its a 2002 (that we bought 3 years ago) and yes it had 220,000 miles (now 250,000)..
Old 04-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Newer then most mentioned here but my 2017 GMC extended cab, 5.3L 6 speed transmission two wheel drive has a towing rate of 7300 pounds. On a recent trip with the bed loaded about 600 pounds I obtained 32 MPG at freeway speeds.

As pointed out a Tundra is not a 3/4 ton and it's doubtful if it comes in a HD version. I know lots of folks are in love with Toyota vehicles but there are other vehicles to choose from.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
Indeed, Tundra only comes as a '1/2 ton' and there is no HD. Funny enough, decades and decades ago, the original Toyota Hi-Lux pickups DID come in a 1 ton version, I still see them occasionally. 4 or 6 cyl, stick shift, tiny cab, often a small flatbed. They even had a dual rear wheel version. These were often seen under Sunrader campers.