Tow with Jeep Rubicon Possible/How? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tow with Jeep Rubicon Possible/How?

I would like to know if it is possible for a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to tow a trailer such as a Casitas. The jeep GVWR is listed at 4550 pounds. I plan to travel all over the US, Canada, Alaska mainly by myself. Perhaps there are some other items such as sway bars or certain equipment that would assist with the towing also.

I haven't purchased either vehicle, but my goal is to be able to have the ability to go offroad with and/or without the trailer. At least I'd like to be able to tow the trailer and put it in campgrounds or dry camp, and then take the jeep into the outback.

TIA
Greg

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:45 PM   #2

I give my opinion

which may or may not be worth anything. It would appear the Jeep is GVWR is heavy enough. need a class III hitch if going with the 17 Casita. nice to have size anyway. need cooler added for towing. I think this is for the trans, but michael would say for the engine as his kept heating. I don't know what makes a Wrangler a Rubicon. the length of the towing vehicle is important for stability. also size of motor should be considered. V6 OK but V8 probably better. Am sure I will get all kinds of oh no your wrongs from this, but there you go.

now, all that said. it would help you to do a search (button upper right corner) on towing or tow vehicle there are many post with pros and cons. also you might check Home page. I noticed they lots of info write up links there. don't know if one is for towing or not.

Old 01-28-2003, 03:47 PM   #3

Jeep Rubicon/Casita

The Rubicon Wrangler comes standard with the straight 6, which has all the HP and torque you need. It's the short wheel base that limits your towing capabilities. I've got a 4-banger manual trans YJ that I use to tow a 4'x6' 1000lb utility trailer, and there are times when I feel a little of the "tail waggin' the dog" effect.

I also put a heavy duty radiator in it before I started pulling. If your future Rubi is an automatic (recommended), you should get the trannie cooler as well. Both would probably be included with a tow package.

I definately wouldn't go any larger than a 13' trailer, and I would still drive slow and easy. Sway bars might help some, I'll probably try that myself. I plan on towing my fiberglass trailer (as yet unpurchased) with my Cherokee w/tow package, and I'm still limiting myself to a 13'.

I think I read that Casita makes a lift for some of their trailers, but even if you lift it, I don't think you should take it very far off-road. I would park it, and then go have fun. There are a couple of true off-road tent trailers out there if you want to really go out-backin', I think one is even called the "Rubicon".

I saw someone on this board who tows a 13' with their TJ, maybe they'll chime in with their first-hand knowledge and experience.

Old 01-28-2003, 06:22 PM   #5

homework

Don, you really did your homework. glad you picked fiberglass.

been watching your avatar. now that is cool. but you sure look like your going fast.:r

Old 01-28-2003, 09:15 PM   #6

>now that is cool. but you sure look like your going fast.

YEEeeeHAAaaww!!!! :steer

Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Orginally posted by Don Arburn

>now that is cool. but you sure look like your going fast.

YEEeeeHAAaaww!!!! :steer

Hey, Don! You got that brake fixed! Good goin'!

:ola

*^*^*^*^*
Sorry, Greg. Back to Jeep Wrangler Rubicon talk now... :nono

Old 01-29-2003, 09:17 PM   #8

Let's Try Another Combo

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in... Let me explain my objective. I had a liver transplant 2 years ago and now want to tour the US (including Alaska), Canada, and Mexico with a reasonably lightweight rig that allows me to go off-road.

For 25 years I owned a Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser, which allowed me to go nearly everywhere off-road, so I'm used to going into the outback. Now I still want to go off-road but also pull a "home" with me, as light-weight as possible, so that I can drive a good off-road buggy. Sometimes I'll be solo, sometimes my wife will join me. Upon hearing your comments I'm thinking about a combination 5-speed manual Tacoma with a Casita 17'. It seems to me that might give me some good off-road capability and still have a (cramped) home.

The 17' Casita would be almost 2500# dry, and it looks like the Tacoma could pull 5000# with the tow package. I know there are other factors such as wheelbase and weight ratios (with which I'm unfamiliar), but I'd like to have some feedback to see if you have any experience or know someone who has the experience that might be able to enlighten me.

Sincerely,
Greg

Old 01-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #9

Heading the right direction

Hi, Greg. I like the way you're thinking, but I wonder if you can get that 5000 lbs. tow capacity with the automatic transmission (and only 3500 lbs. with the 5-speed manual)? The website I looked at was a bit vague on that part of the specifications.

Now I've probably done it: brought up the dreaded automatic vs. manual transmission debate.

We've also looked at the Tacoma, not so much as a tow vehicle, because we're very happy with the way the Ford F-150 gets on with our 17' Casita. We're looking to replace our old Ford Ranger... The Tacoma's bed is a bit shallow, but it does look like it has the best road clearance of the small pickups.

Good luck with your decision. And, also with your upcoming U.S. tour!!

:cblob

Old 02-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #10

mmm JEEPS!

Greg, unless they have changed something with the rubies that I don't know about then you should be able to pull a 2000lbs trailer.

My 13' boler comes in at 996lbs naked and I don't think I am carting more than 500lbs of stuff, so it comes in close but under the jeep spec. Keep in mind a 17' trailer might weigh in under 2000lbs but add that 500lbs of gear for your trip and things can get hairy with these small trucks.

Thoughts and Ideas I have seen include trailer brakes and sway bars. These can really help with the short wheelbase of a heep.

I use a Jeep TJ with I6 to pull my trailer. I am lifted 4.5" as well and everything pulls nice still.

HOWEVER I did overheat my transmission on a cross Ontario Trek. Keep in mind I have the 3spd auto and the rubies come with a new 4spd auto, still I would recommend you spend the $200 and get a transmission cooler installed.

Please consider checking this site out for a lot of info about rubicons
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=94

Anyone want to comment on pulling a trailer with a jeep equipped with mud tires? I have done it in nice warm dry conditions but I would suspect that they might become an issue on wet or icy pavement. Maybe you might want to consider getting a set of all terrain tires for your travels. The losses offroad may be made up with safety on road.

whoa.. long post. hope it helped.

There are some pics of jeeps with fiberglass trailers in this thread as well as some jeep talk; http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=695

Quote:
Orginally posted by Greg Grosz

I would like to know if it is possible for a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to tow a trailer such as a Casitas. The jeep GVWR is listed at 4550 pounds. I plan to travel all over the US, Canada, Alaska mainly by myself. Perhaps there are some other items such as sway bars or certain equipment that would assist with the towing also.

I haven't purchased either vehicle, but my goal is to be able to have the ability to go offroad with and/or without the trailer. At least I'd like to be able to tow the trailer and put it in campgrounds or dry camp, and then take the jeep into the outback.

TIA
Greg

Old 02-06-2003, 02:57 PM   #11

Ummmm??

Ryan, have you checked the front or Home page lately? there is something there you might like. but only until Sunday. Greg might like it too. :)