TOWING 13 or 15 Trillium: how different is it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
TOWING 13 or 15 Trillium: how different is it?

Hi folks, I finally sold my 17 foot boler. V

My hubby didn't want to camp and I need to get something I can manage on my own. I want to get a 13 foot Trill because it is appealing to have the ease towing and simply managing a smaller unit. However, I am asking myself, HOW DIFFERENT CAN IT BE in terms of towing and managing on the camp ground, and is the extra 2 feet worth it for the livability of the trailer once your in??

So, my question is - how different it is to tow and manage a 13 vs 15 trill, and is the benefit of the smaller size outweighed by the usability of the added 2 feet with the 15 foot version.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

Dawn
Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have owned both a 1300 and 4500 and the extra space inside is amazing as far as I am concerned.
I don't really understand why but it feels dramatic to me and everyone else who stepped inside them both agreed.

As far as towing the question is complicated by the age and condition of the ones you will find.
I am convinced the towability is related to wear and tear on rigs of this age.

Both my Trill' towed like hell compared to any of the newer trailers I have had.Since they use similar or identical running gear really I have to think that age has as much or more to do with it than design and weight?

What I know for sure is that the newer,longer and heavier newer(2001 and newer) trailers I have pulled feel lighter and easier on the hitch.

Don't get me wrong though I have loved each rig I have had and often wish I had one of the Trillium now for the windows,rivet less construction and simplicity.

Isn't this fun?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Thank you Ed. That is insight I appreciate. Interesting to hear your answer. Not what I expected, but now that you say so, I can see that age would play a role.

So, having said that; if I were to buy a trill that was on a new frame, would that be a benefit to towing then? Thank you so much Ed!

Dawn
Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Again,I am not sure my observation is valid,just what I have observed?
tying the rough ride compared to the newer trailers I have had to the age of the running gear just makes sense to me.
I have asked a lot of people for their experience towing the small Trills so that I might better understand this but there seems to be no real consensus about it.

Most people have a limited perspective as they are not as CRAZY as I am and have less variety of Egg to compare.So someone may feel theirs tows fine as they have not towed another one.

From the beginning though with my 1300 I always wondered why it towed so rough?
As I got bigger and newer rigs they each were much smoother so maybe it is also a function of greater weight?
I also just dragged a T@B 1200 miles to Melissa and thought it towed well compared to the 1300 but it has been a long time since I had the 1300 and the vehicle is different too.

All of these factors weigh in deciding how it feels and why but I am sure a new frame and axle can not hurt.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium