Towing a 16' Scamp with small diesel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #41

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
While diesel engines and turbocharged engines both have great high-torque@low-rpm characteristics, you also might look at
acquisition costs, operation costs, and brand reliability. Ray
Ray, You left resale value out of your list of things to consider. Around these parts (Southeastern U.S.), used diesel pickups are in big demand - even those with what could be considered high mileage for a gas burner (200,000+ miles). Yes, the diesel engine costs extra up front, but if it's a proven model (there have been some duds) and well maintained, it's common to get that extra cost back at trade-in or resale. I have people tell me all the time to let them know when I'm ready to sell my 16-year-old 1999 Ford SuperDuty with the 7.3L diesel PowerStroke engine. Some don't care about the truck itself, they just want the engine out of it. To me, the only downside to a big diesel engine like mine is the 15 quarts of special diesel engine oil it takes at every oil change. Ouch! But I still love it - and just keep on truckin'!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #42

Name: Larry
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
X3 Towing

I just picked up my 16' Scamp side dinette and towed it home with my 535xi wagon 6 speed manual, which did a great job, though it only got 20 mpg.

I also have a BMW 335d which will be set up for towing in the next couple weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

I have also been looking at 328d wagons, which with 280 ft lbs should do just fine too.

Hitches for these can be found at Execuhitch. The 335d is rated at 250/2500 and the 328d is rated at 350/3500. You will want to contact them to get the rating on the X3 (which has the same diesel motor as the 328d).

The only concern I have is the suspension on the 3 series (and maybe the X3 too) since Execuhitch doesn't recommend using a WDH. The 535 has air suspension, so there was no drooping at all on that one (though the Westfalia hitch is rated at 200/4000).

Just as a FYI, the dry weight of the trailer as it left the factory was 250/2100.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150406_080124.jpg  
simmonslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Larry,

As a reference, we've towed our 2600 pound Scamp 16 without a weight distribution hitch years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #44

Idaho
Norm

Do you know what the tongue weight is on your 2600# trailer?

Larry
Old 04-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonslr View Post
Norm

Do you know what the tongue weight is on your 2600# trailer?

Larry
Not Norm but the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread is a good place to check for what others are weighing in at loaded. Trailer # 33 & #37 is my own Scamp Side bath 16' Standard (same vintage and layout as Norms) - no AC or water in the tanks . Note on one of the weigh ins I had it down to 200lbs as a test while I was towing off the freeway at speeds of less than 55mph - the test was done due to the tongue weight limitation of the vehicle I was towing it with. Find it gives a much more solid tow as it appears on the # 33 weigh in with at least 240lbs on the tongue when traveling on the freeways at 65 mph.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #46

Florida
Larry, I do know the tongue weight. I weigh it at least yearly.

Our tongue weight ranges from 195-205, dependent probably on loading and the amount of propane in the tank. We carry only one propane tank.

As well to reduce the effect of tongue weight I take the pin out of the ball mount and shove the ball mount into the receiver as far as it can co and mark the location of the pin hole on the ball mount. I then drill a hole through the ball mount at this location and re-insert the pin.

This moves the tongue weight closer to the rear axle which helps move the weight where it belongs.

(Ideally you'd like to have the tongue weight over the rear axle like a 5th wheel. Of course this is not possible but the distance to the rear axle from the ball is an important one. to minimize. It's a little thing one can do easily. I had my drilled by a local welding yard.)

The other thing I do is increase the pressure in all my tires but particularly my trailer tires, running the Scamp tires at 50 psi cold, and my tow vehicle tires on the Honda CRV at 39 rear and 36 front (on the Odyssey 36r/33f). This stiffens the side walls.

You may know but we travel about 8 months a year, we've always had a light tongue weight compared to some others. We generally try to keep the trailers weighty items over or near the axle and low in the trailer. Lighter items in the front or rear cabinets, like bedding or clothing.

We do carry a half tank of water at all times on the road. We do not have a roof top air conditioner but do have a 5000 btu unit mounted in the bottom of our closet venting thru the floor.

We do have an anti sway bar. We have towed without one for 1000's of miles but many suggested it would be nice to have in an emergency and since we've had two emergencies (not sway events) we do travel with one. It's inexpensive and easy to use.

We typically drive between 55 and 62 depending on the road. Generally we avoid Interstates, particularly in the eastern USA.

The following thread shows our trailer. Tons of Scamp mods.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-46387-3.html

Glad to answer questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We do carry a half tank of water at all times on the road.
This is not recommended practice as there are not usually baffles in the tank to prevent the water from sloshing back and forth, side to side.
You should either fill the water tank or empty it completely.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #48

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This is not recommended practice as there are not usually baffles in the tank to prevent the water from sloshing back and forth, side to side.
You should either fill the water tank or empty it completely.
The water in the tank has never been a problem. It doesn't move from one side of the trailer to the other. The water is very confined and represents a tiny fraction pf the load.

With respect to side to side motion it can barely move 6 inches from it's rest position and not much more fore to aft. It has little effect on tire/axle loading.

The motorhome was a different where you could carry 290 gallons of fluids that were distributed full width.

Has any one had a problem towing a half tank of water?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #49
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
I just picked up my 16' Scamp side dinette and towed it home with my 535xi wagon 6 speed manual, which did a great job, though it only got 20 mpg.

I also have a BMW 335d which will be set up for towing in the next couple weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

I have also been looking at 328d wagons, which with 280 ft lbs should do just fine too.

Hitches for these can be found at Execuhitch. The 335d is rated at 250/2500 and the 328d is rated at 350/3500. You will want to contact them to get the rating on the X3 (which has the same diesel motor as the 328d).

The only concern I have is the suspension on the 3 series (and maybe the X3 too) since Execuhitch doesn't recommend using a WDH. The 535 has air suspension, so there was no drooping at all on that one (though the Westfalia hitch is rated at 200/4000).

Just as a FYI, the dry weight of the trailer as it left the factory was 250/2100.

Larry.... I'm luvin it. We almost bought an X5 last year but the G35 is still working fine so passed on it for now.

They are using WDH's up here on the X3's. They are pro set ups and there many be some special mods. There was a 3 series convertible using a WDH which was at the Toronto RV show a few years back. Interesting set up for sure.

Good luck with the Bimmer setups. Bet they handle great and stop on a dime!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #50

Idaho
I think it's going to work OK with the 335d too. I need to get the WDH set up with sway control, but this wasn't too bad, though we haven't loaded yet, and this was just a local trip. Weight was 210/2150.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1772 - Copy.JPG   IMG_1773 - Copy.JPG  

Old 05-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #51
MC1

Ontario
Looks pretty good Larry. It appears the the Bimmer is handling the 210lbs well on the rear bumper. Well done!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #52

Idaho
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, are you pulling the Airstream with the G35? Do you have a WDH on the sedan?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #53
MC1

Ontario
Yes Larry. We have a Can Am custom 2" receiver mated with a Reese 750lb WDH. There is a pic on my Registry.

Note if we ever decide to tow a dual axle molded fiberglass trailer (like a Bigfoot) we would most likely use the same connection set up.

With your lighter glass egg there is a Reese 350 mini which may work well as long as the car's receiver is stout enough. Something you could look into.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #54

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, are you pulling the Airstream with the G35? Do you have a WDH on the sedan?
Go talk about Airstreams at the http://www.airforums.com/ please. We're about all molded towables here on FiberglassRV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think it's going to work OK with the 335d too. I need to get the WDH set up with sway control, but this wasn't too bad, though we haven't loaded yet, and this was just a local trip. Weight was 210/2150.
Why the need for a WDH? I pulled a 16' Scamp with a small vehicle for 7 years without one and had no issues associated with not having one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Go talk about Airstreams at the http://www.airforums.com/ please.
That is a good option Donna. There are many 2,000lb, 16' vintage Bambi owners on that site that are towing with various TV's. A number of them are towing with cars or smallish vehicles like Larry's. A Bambi or small 2,000lb glass egg would tow very much the same and the connections similar. One can learn a lot by expanding their search options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Why the need for a WDH? I pulled a 16' Scamp with a small vehicle for 7 years without one and had no issues associated with not having one.
Yes... many folks are towing on the ball and it works while other choose to use a WDH. One needs to examine each combination's merits and go from there. There is no cookie cutter solution when it comes to this subject.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #57

Florida
Inclusionary

When Ginny and I moved to NH almost by accident we began attending church.. The minister was a great speaker and weekly by his words made me consider much about life, frequently bringing tears to the corners of my eyes. (Our church had Klennex in each pew.)

One day he spoke to me about how our church was 'inclusionary'. I had never heard that word, of course I new 'include' but had never heard inclusionary. (By the way inclusionary is being treated as a spelling error by this app.)

I realized that all the churches I had attended previously were exclusionary, if you believe what we believe you're included, some more than others.

Including the different view, can extend us all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #58

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Well said, Norm.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #59

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FGRV's Only Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Go talk about Airstreams at the http://www.airforums.com/ please. We're about all molded towables here on FiberglassRV
I Second Donna's comment.
Your posts are and pics are like a one-trick pony.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #60

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
That is a good option Donna. There are many 2,000lb, 16' vintage Bambi owners on that site that are towing with various TV's. A number of them are towing with cars or smallish vehicles like Larry's. A Bambi or small 2,000lb glass egg would tow very much the same and the connections similar. One can learn a lot by expanding their search options.
I just want folks to get the information they need and that's by joining forums or groups of like minded individuals. In this case, owners of particular build types.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp