Towing Boler with a Safari - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been pulling a 21'-4000# trailer for years with my '98 Safari.It's equipped with the proper equillization hitch and tows great. If I go to a Boler under 2000# do I need the fancy hitch for highway speeds and wind problems?
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Hello Randyl, I pull my 13' Love Bug behind my Chevy Astro. The Astro and Safari are the same vehicle, just different chrome. I have not had any problem pulling the Bug. I do not have an equilizer hitch, no sway control, no brakes either. Give yourself a little extra room to stop and you will not have any problems.

I normally pull at 65 mph or less so I cannot tell you anything about high speeed towing. The nice thing about the Astro is that even though I raised my Bug about 6" the trailer still is no higher than the van. I notice a very small drop in my mileage when towing. As far as wind, I can hardly feel the trailer when semis pass going the other way and cross wind has almost no affect on the Astro'Love Bug combo.

Enjoy your FGRV and camp whenever possible.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Randy, Having towed a 1961 Bambi 16' at 1850lbs with a '98 Astro AWD on a straight ball, I would suggest that you either beef up the rear suspension (airbags or similar) or use a lighter weight equalizing hitch. The Astro/Safari is mostly up for it, but they're notoriously saggy with a trailer tongue hanging on a bare ball.

Mine was compounded by cheap crummy tires with lots of sidewall flex that the dealer had installed.

I'd say give it a try, and see how it works. If you get more rear end sag than you're comfortable with, then check out your options. Do a search on "sway" to research and help you decide whether you want sway control with the Boler.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
I've been pulling a 21'-4000# trailer for years with my '98 Safari.It's equipped with the proper equillization hitch and tows great. If I go to a Boler under 2000# do I need the fancy hitch for highway speeds and wind problems?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I've always pulled tandem axle with the proper setup but this is the first time with a single axle and no extra "protection". I thought wind and sway control might be issues.

Tags
boler