towing our new 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2003, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
towing our new 16' Scamp

Hi, we're very thankful to be new owners of a '91 Scamp 16' Deluxe. My fiance has an '02 Jeep Liberty with the tow package. But with the spare tire on the back, and the bike rack with 2 bikes we hope to bring along, I'm assuming we'll need a hitch extension. I have found there are welded ones and non-welded ones. the non-welded ones come in 14" and 18". I was advised to get the 14". Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've already got lots of good info by reading all the great posts....THANKS!!!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #2

hitch extensions

Hey, Frank :wave Welcome to this great website!

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but someone will before you know it. We have a lot of experience that hangs out around the board!

Old 07-08-2003, 04:41 PM   #3

try to keep it short

Extentions are not the best idea the tend to act like a lever on the back of your jeep. a better idea would be to put bikes up top or in the trailer or in the back of liberty.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #4

Reviews of the Liberty note that the towing capacity is overrated at 5000 lbs. Your loaded trailer probably weighs more than half that. A hitch extension or extra long ball mount will lower both the towing and tongue weight capacities by roughly a third. Too many variables to tell how well the setup will work, but you can experiment and go to a shorter hitch mount if necessary. The bikes can always go on top. You have a stepladder, right? ;)

Old 07-17-2003, 06:18 AM   #5

Bike Rack

Frank, my mountain bike goes everywhere I go, so I know the need. I thought seriously of added a bike rack on the back of my Scamp, but quickly changed my mind after reading all the threads about why that's not a good idea! I've found a possible solution on the Casita Club Forum. http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index....t=ST&f=14&t=178 Maybe this solution will work for you as well.

Rubber down!
:cblob

Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 PM   #6

Frank: I improved the handling of my 91S13 behind my 1/2T Dodge pickup by moving the receiver forward and shortening the ball bar -- You are proposing to go in the other direction....

Consider moving the spare tire to the roof or to a front bumper mount, which will also balance the tow vehicle better.

I have seen in the past a mod to an S13 where the owner constructed a longer tongue with ball coupler and mounted the bikes on the longer tongue. The new tongue was mounted under the orig tongue. Adding the length to the trailer tongue will improve handling and lessen the effects of sway; adding the length to the overhang of the tow vehicle will have the opposite effect.

Pete in the RatHaus

Tags
scamp