Toyota Sienna Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
First timer here. We have had a 1980 13' Scamp since the twins were born. We have dragged it all over the west. Last trip was a little cramped in the Toyota P/U. So we are searching for a new tractor- We are leaning toward a Toyota Sienna or a 4Runner.
We like the Sienna for the mpg but we are concerned about towing with front wheel drive and it looks like the hitch will be pretty low to the ground.
The 4Runner is beefy but it is a pig for mileage.
Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. I am guessing that this is a common discussion point so if anyone could steer me to previous threads I would be obliged.

As an aside we have really beat the snot out of our Scamp and we have put it back together numerous times-it has been a tough little trailer for us and we intend to do it again this April
DanMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Toyota van forum - towing
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
First timer here. We have had a 1980 13' Scamp since the twins were born. We have dragged it all over the west. Last trip was a little cramped in the Toyota P/U. So we are searching for a new tractor- We are leaning toward a Toyota Sienna or a 4Runner.
We like the Sienna for the mpg but we are concerned about towing with front wheel drive and it looks like the hitch will be pretty low to the ground.
The 4Runner is beefy but it is a pig for mileage.
Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. I am guessing that this is a common discussion point so if anyone could steer me to previous threads I would be obliged.

As an aside we have really beat the snot out of our Scamp and we have put it back together numerous times-it has been a tough little trailer for us and we intend to do it again this April
CamA- What a website. Those Sienna people certainly are passionate! I think I am leaning to the heavier and I think safer 4Runner
DanMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe

Not a Toyota, but lots of folks sure are happy w/ their Honda Odysseys as TVs.

Bob
That said, I like the 4Runner myself
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
We use to have a 1983 13' Scamp and had no problem towing it with our 1998 Toyota Sienna.
tom swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

There was one member here who towed a 17' Boler with a Toyota Sienna.

Search for "Sienna", Filter by member "Brian B-P" He thought it was quite capable for towing something bigger than a 13' Scamp.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
John and Nancy Hamilton tow a 17' Casita with a Toyota Sienna , send him a PM and he will answer your Questions.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
I've recently bought a used Toyota Sienna for towing. Costly to set up: I added trans cooler, helper springs, trailer wiring with brakes, Prodigy controller, auto Sienna to Casita charging while driving, etc. Van was at 90000 miles so I also changed the timing belt and new plugs.

The 13' Casita is the fancier model with front bath and lots of wood. Actual towing weight is 2000 lbs. I was previously towing it with a Hyundai Sonata with a transmission cooler. Without the cooler, 2000 lbs is maximum recommended weight accoring to Hyundai. Interestingly the less expensive sedan has a rating of 3000 lbs. I went to the Sienna because we are going to be taking an extended cross county trip and wanted more room.

Anyway both the Hyundai and the Sienna tow perfectly. For the room, I recommend the Sienna. Gas mileage isn't that terrific in town- last weekend, driving 65, I was getting around 16-17 mpg with the Casita on, about the same mileage as I get in town.

Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote