Track Awning for Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Lawrence
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13'
New York
Track Awning for Scamp 13

I recently purchased a new Scamp.. I didn't get the optional awning, as I didn't like the looks or the price.. would like to get a track awning, like I had on a previous popup camper.. any suggestions or ideas?
wlarrydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Lawrence, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

Track awnings? Well, anyplace that sells supplies for popup campers. Then, do you want a retro look? Vintage Awnings. If you're a member of Facebook: Marti's Awnings Or, you can make your own: DIY awning step-by-step

Other will pop in with more ideas!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #3

New York
Track Awing

Thanks for your reply! my main concern is instalation.. the track can't extend into the curvature of the fiberglass shell, which limits it's length to about 7 feet... also, my trailer has the "Rat Fir" over the foil insulation on the inside.. any fasteners (pop rivits?) I don't want to protude thru that.. a bag awning would also work, with a screen house enclosure... (same instalation issues)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I added an 7' Shade Maker Awning to a 13' Scamp I had several years ago.
I used rivets to install the rail.
As long as your carefull, don't drill through to the rat fur the rivets will not be visible.
Shade maker also has an attachable screen room.
They also make a small wheel to add to the top left hand corner of the door that stops rips in the awning when you open the door all the way.

Your best buy for a Shade Maker is on ebay.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

New York
Thanks to perry j! one last question.. i'm a inexperienced in working on fiberglass.. and, want a proffessional job, in part, because I don't plan on keeping the trailer more than a couple of years, as most, and want a good resale value.. any recommendations for getting it installed? ..suppose I could take it back to Backus, but that's a long haul for me...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Drilling in fiberglass is no different than drilling in wood.
Do you know a retired carpenter or competent handyperson?
It's not a difficult job.
Get your awning before you install the rail so you know how high to install the rail so the bag doesn't interfere with the door.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Another alternative which doesn't require any drilling holes or permanent changes to the trailer is to use the type of awning I made.

I went this route because, with the curves on the Scamp, the awning would be shorter than I wanted. The pole that rests on the roof is 12'. It breaks down to two 6' lengths for storage. With tie downs the pole sits firmly against the raised ridge in the roof.

Works for me. Whole setup cost about 50 bucks. I was going to use the white poly tarp as a pattern but it works so well I'll use it until it starts to deteriorate.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
25-05-2012 7-28-46 PM  004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
I like your awning Ron. How big is the tarp and how do you attach it to the poles? Thanks and happy holidays all! Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #9

New York
I really appericiate all the replies to my post, but, think, what I'm going to do, at least for the short term, is get a small screenhouse with side panels.. I already know that, when I'm traveling, I won't want to spend the time to set up an awning, and, for stops at a rest area or truck stop it's not practical. I'm planning on attending the Quartzside Meet in AZ... perhaps I wlll get some different Ideas there...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Poly tarps are easy to sew with an ordinary sewing machine. My wife (I'm not allowed to touch her sewing machine ) just put a hem on either side. The poles just slide into the hem. I think the tarp was 12' x 14' but I didn't want it that wide which accounts for the flap hanging down. I was going to cut it off but then I found its very handy to have for low sun situations so I just flip it up on top when its not needed.

The pole, in the center, going from the trailer pole out to the outer pole does a good job of preventing "ponding" and collapse due to a huge pool of water collecting. The center ridge makes two shallow valleys that drain to the side. The unit got a very good test at this years Scrambled Egg meet when we had storm force winds and torrential rain. With the top pole a couple of feet back from the trailer side and conforming to the curve of the roof, very little, if any water leaks down the side of the trailer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
25-06-2012 10-25-20 AM  0021_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hmmm, they do sell awning track that is extruded PVC that is flexible

Awning Track Flanged White 96"

Couldn't you then do a 10 foot awning and have the person makeing it round the ends a little so this way you would have a larger awning?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL Ron I bet I can guess where/when that photo was taken!

Have a great Christmas
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Hmmm, they do sell awning track that is extruded PVC that is flexible

Awning Track Flanged White 96"

Couldn't you then do a 10 foot awning and have the person makeing it round the ends a little so this way you would have a larger awning?

deryk
The PVC track is what I used for our window awnings. It is very stiff and would require heat to shape to body curves. Even then it would be a challenge to keep the groove from flattening. Nice idea, but fraught with challenges.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks John, it was a thought, but I didn't think about the groove flattening out.

deryk
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #15

PVC and plastics in general take hard hits with UVs. I'd worry about making the investment and after a few years needing to replace the track all over again. I realize it's not that many $$, but I like as many one-and-done as I can get. An aluminum track (IMHO) would be better.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
You do make a good point Donna. I guess an aluminum one, could run a piece of the right size line through it and paint it white with a good exterior primer and paint so it would match a little closer and be less obvious.

I think this looks way cool...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marti...type=3&theater

deryk
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #17

Yeah Marti's has been mentioned by a number of vintage trailer folks. Here's another popular company: Vintage Awnings
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Keep in mind that a couple coats of white paint will do wonders for UV control on PVC.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
A "no rail required" awning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlarrydac View Post
Thanks for your reply! my main concern is instalation.. the track can't extend into the curvature of the fiberglass shell, which limits it's length to about 7 feet... also, my trailer has the "Rat Fir" over the foil insulation on the inside.. any fasteners (pop rivits?) I don't want to protude thru that.. a bag awning would also work, with a screen house enclosure... (same instalation issues)
My Trillium had never had an awning when I got it. I did not want to drill holes in the fibreglass shell to install a track for a bag awning.
So I designed an awning using PVC pile that slides into a hem on both the rear edge (that sits on the roof up against the bump) and the front edge to give extra stability. It works great and sets up in 5 minutes or less. There are grommets in the four corners for the front poles and to tie the rear of the awning to the trailer. The front window guard can be up or down and it still works.
The PVC pipe is cut in 2 pieces that fit back together easily because pipe is designed to do that. My awning is 9 x 9.

Advantage of the is that the awning can be set up on either side of the trailer depending on the angle of the sun or the view:-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_awning.jpg   IMG_2awning.jpg  

55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
That is an interesting idea Lorraine. With the way the ParkLiner roof is shaped, I think I can get away with useing a pole and bungee it to the tongue or bumper and if it rains, it wouldn't drip into the area the awning is covering.

Now I need to measure the roof for a custom old fashioned style awning!

deryk

Tags
awning, scamp