trail mite info search - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: becca
Trailer: 1972 trail mite
California
Smile trail mite info search

Trail Mite info search,
morning I just purchased a cute 13' Trail Mite. Can't find any out here in CA. no resources, LOGO. Or CA owners ....

Though she is very neat and tidy, I do have two windows that need replacing or repair.
Does one try boat suppliers for repairs hence the fiberglass? Or do you need to stick with trailer peeps/

Not much out here re fiberglass support so I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone can give me some suggestions before I pick her up.
also I noticed some have suggested a full safety check before using what type of company would this be, wheels, tires, or does it have to be trailer companies
sorry I really new at this stuff

thx
tinkandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Slight variations in shell shape and window style aside, molded trailers are pretty generic. No need to find a Trail Mite-specific support group, and it would be pretty small if it existed. You can use the Manufacturers tab to locate other posts about Trail Mites, and through them, owners. Be sure to check their profiles to see if they’re still active; Some are long gone.

Trail Mite is one of a large number of Boler-derived designs with similar construction and issues. Scamp is the most common today, and there are lots of Scamp owners active on the forum, as well as many owners of vintage Bolers.

So... post whatever issues you have with photos and details, and I predict you’ll get some good advice. This a a great community with tons of collective wisdom and experience!

Any general auto mechanic can do a basic safety check of the frame, wheels, brakes (if equipped), coupler, and lights. Tires and bearings are critical. Check manufacture date on the tires, which is a 4-digit code stamped in the sidewall as WWYY, week and year. A set of magnetic lights- available in most auto parts stores or even Walmart- can get you home if the lights don’t work (as long as there’s a steel bumper to mount them on).

Windows can be trouble on any RV. Some styles are no longer made, and even if they are, custom-sized replacements are very expensive. You usually have to find something close and make it work. Bigger is easier than small, since cutting fiberglass is easier than filling in fiberglass to make the hole smaller. You can sometimes get new windows that are a close fit from companies like Scamp (which order in quantity at substantial discounts). You can also look for used windows from online or local RV salvage companies.

If repair is possible, that’s your best bet. Many of the gaskets, seals, and crank mechanisms are still made. Folks here can guide you to sources if you show us exactly what you’re looking for.

Fiberglass repair... definitely NOT an RV shop. Try boat shops and auto body shops that do fiberglass (think Corvette). Get several bids, as prices can be all over the map. None will be cheap, which leads to...

Consider learning to do small fiberglass repairs yourself. It’s messy and requires good PPE but pretty forgiving. There’s an excellent primer in the the thread “You Can Repair Fiberglass.” Finding all this great information is easy with the right search tool: look for the “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu.

Best wishes on your project!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote