Trailer Bounce - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Burro
I am back from my first long trip with the Burro, 1800 miles. While driving through WV the expansions joints were spaced just far enough apart that with each bump the bounce magnified. the trailer starting to bounce, the car bounced. Even the dog started to bounce. Did I have the trailer loaded wrong , Bad shocks or were the roads that bad?
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I recall struggling over some roads like that, but it seemed to me that the road was to blame, not the vehicles. If your trailer suspension has a reasonable amount of travel left I would put most of the blame on the expansion joints. If certain physical harmonic ephemera and cosmic behavior patterns converge to reinforce each other even a change in speed may not fix the problem (can't belive I wrote that sentence.)
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I recall struggling over some roads like that, but it seemed to me that the road was to blame, not the vehicles. If your trailer suspension has a reasonable amount of travel left I would put most of the blame on the expansion joints. If certain physical harmonic ephemera and cosmic behavior patterns converge to reinforce each other even a change in speed may not fix the problem (can't belive I wrote that sentence.)
Per- ---wheeewwww I can't believe you wrote that sentence either......... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
If it only happens on a particular stretch of worn cement, it could be the road. Trailer bounce can also indicate that there is no flex left in the rubber suspension in the axle. It can also indicate (as in my case) that the suspension in the tug is not the best (I needed new struts). See this post: trailer bounce
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Wow... Per... impressive sentence!

Ummm, can I borrow "harmonic ephemera "? It would make a great name for a trailer....
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Burro
Thanks for the info. On the rest of the trip the trailer towed fine that one strech of road cause the screws to back out of the hinges and stove. A trailer mechanic said the axel was fine but the rubber bushing might be worn
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote