Trailer Break Away Switch Wire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 07:35 AM   #1

Name: Caro;
Trailer: Forest River Rockwood
Florida
Trailer Break Away Switch Wire

At one of our stops this summer we noticed that the trailer break away switch wire was severed but attached. However the next time we towed it trailer brakes would grab. Could this wire be the issue?
cjmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmorse View Post
At one of our stops this summer we noticed that the trailer break away switch wire was severed but attached. However the next time we towed it trailer brakes would grab. Could this wire be the issue?
Sounds like there is a short somewhere.
Trace the breakaway switch and wiring to be sure that it is both open and isolated, when not activated.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Which wire are you talking about?
The wire cable that goes to the clamp that pulls the plug out of the switch or the wire(s) that go the the electrical part of the switch?
Basically the pull wire if the activation plug is not pulled out there would be no effect.
If the activating plug has pulled out then that would put 12 volts on the brake coils, locking up the brakes electrically. This would be a big issue.
If a wire is pulled from the switch then either it is the +12 volt from the battery and could short and blow the fuse (no affect on the brakes, or it is the wire from the switch to the brake coils and if it is broken again no effect to regular braking.
So it depends on what wire.
Unless the brakes are being applied by the switch activated by the plug being pulled and putting the brakes on and wearing and overheating them, probably sliding the tires this would no cause brake grabbing on it's own.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Like JD says, it all depends on which wire. If it's the cable that gets pulled out of the box, but the pin is still in the box, then the battery is not supplying any voltage to the brakes.
If it's the hot wire going from the battery to the switch, that wouldn't affect your normal breaking either, although if that wire touches the frame it could short out.
If it's the wire going from the switch to your blue brake circuit line (see the connection highlighted in yellow), then if that wire touches the frame when you apply the brakes in the tow vehicle, some braking voltage feeds into that wire and could short out each time you apply the brakes unless you repair that wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakaway.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Rita
Trailer: Scamp
WA
Electric brake break-away switch.

I have a 2021 13' standard layout Scamp. I traveled several hours from home to Deception Pass SP. I did not know that the switch was not correctly connected. I had to go to the closest RV repair shop once I left the campground due to metal on metal brakes. It cost me $1060.00 to have both wheel brakes, drums, and bearings replaced. Be very careful out there. Make sure the connection is solid. I was lucky to get it done the day I brought it in. They were backed up and I had no appointment. But I'm sure I paid for the crisis intervention.
Rita Mellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I would say yes. If there is no power going to the switch then it would make it appear to be unplugged. Replace the wire and see what happens. We use a coil type wire to make sure it doesn't come unplugged as we had one do that.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Not related, if the pin was pulled by a short wire, the brakes would not allow the wheels to turn. You would be leaving a trail of black marks and smoke.
Try adjusting the controls on the drivers switch near the steering wheel.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
Not related, if the pin was pulled by a short wire, the brakes would not allow the wheels to turn. You would be leaving a trail of black marks and smoke.
Try adjusting the controls on the drivers switch near the steering wheel.
You have to know how to adjust the brake controller. There are special ways to do it and not just turn the knobs.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
You have to know how to adjust the brake controller. There are special ways to do it and not just turn the knobs.
Yep, if you do not have the controller manual, just google the make and model, there will be lots of good instruction there. How you actually set it up will depend on your driving preferences.